RoadToRecovery is offline Senior Member

Back Lagging Need Help!

Ok for starters I had a pretty big physique for most of my life and Ive weighed at least 200 since im 18... Im now 21 and I was recently in a bad Motorcycle wreck and lost all of my gains back In June of 06. I walked out of the hospital wei***ng about 185. Well I was actually walked out because I had to use a walker lol. After recovery I weighed roughly 180. In august I got back into the gym and in september started a Sust/Eq cycle where I put on 22 pounds. After that things got hectic with the girl and we split up and I stopped going to the gym for about 3 weeks. After I hopped back on the horse It was already January and I did a Deca /Eq stack for 10 weeks which brings me here to my current pct.

Right now im currently 194 at around 13-15% BF and Im in pretty good shape. Best shape Ive ever been in and I like everything except my back. I have NO lats whatsoever. My back workout is as follows:

5 sets of 10 WideGrip PullUps
    3 sets of 10 closegrip Pullups.
    4 sets of 6 245lbs Dead Lifts
    3 sets of 8 150lbs widegrip Pulldowns
    3 sets of 8 180lbs seated rows

Ive been boxing for a little while also and my back is pretty strong and hard just not thick. Any one know what the deal is?

pwerfll1 is offline Banned
    thats a hole lotta back bro

Ive been hittin it hard but maybe im going to hard?

pwerfll1 is offline Banned
    how do u feel after all that?

My lower back is the only sore part. But its only sore for about a day.

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadToRecovery
    My lower back is the only sore part. But its only sore for about a day.
    you should be getting sore from the pull ups and deads for sure. if not then something isnt right, form?
    do you come to a complete hang before pulling up?

Everytime. And training with the marines during a pft cycle got me into pull ups. And theyre pricks when it comes to form. But hey, thats a marines way of thinking. Perfection is everything.

Id like to say my form is good.

this week Im going to start weighted pullups. See how that goes.

anabolicshark is offline Associate Member
    you do enough, it seems like.
    try to alternate the grips use EZ bar for rows, hit it from every form( at least thats what i do)
    once every 2 months i do a plate hanging from my waist, pullups for the whole time and that would be my full workout.. sets of 10 for god nows... like all of your muscles, back also needs to be shocked every time, unless you are getting ready for soe sort of competition in one specific form i am not big fan of doing the same excersize week in and week out, change the grip, go high weight on the first exrsz, high rep on the second etc...

mix some soft stuff in between... try to do the rowing machine for 20min once a week...do the eliptical machine where you only pull your body dont push or use your legs, just for 15-20 min once or twice the week the most...

this all worked for me very well...

kfrost06 is offline Banned
    My back use to lag behind the rest of my gains and I started doing very heavy deadlifts and my back exploded and now it's probably my best feature. Make deadlifts your first exercise so you are 100%. I start with 1 plate and increase 1 plate on each side, I get 5-6 sets and the last set is a max out set, maybe 1-2 reps. I only do this every other back work out. Then for the pull ups, make sure you add weight, doing 5 sets of 10 will give you definition but will not put any mass on your back. Do the first w/o weight and add more weight for each set, do 6-12 reps, for the last set drop the weight and get a couple more reps. You need to shock the muscle. I don't know why you would do wide grip pull ups and wide grip pull downs? GL

Well im trying to cut up... should I still go with the heavy deadlifts?

Booz is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    i see no bent over rows barbell/dumbell or no T-bars??

Remember.............for us to help you you need to help us....................stats and exp.........

Source checks and Ugl's to be kept to PM's
    dont ask for source checks unless you have 100 posts/and 45 days minimum as a participating member.........

Booz.. a long-standing member of the AR Police:

sorry but absolutely no sources will be checked at this present time....

Nope... I did them for a while but seemed too not do much of anything.

kfrost06 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadToRecovery
    Well im trying to cut up... should I still go with the heavy deadlifts?
    I read in your first post..."my back is pretty strong and hard just not thick" Deadlifts are good for putting mass on your back giving it that thick look. Also as Booz said bent rows work very well. It may not be the exercise but how your doing it, i.e. form, number of reps, weight, frequency, etc. In general, to put mass on go as heavy as possible w/o sacrificing form and do power exercises like deadlifts and bent rows(or t-bar rows) and weighted pull ups. If your looking just to cut up and definition then stick with what your doing.

Thread Information