Tommy Gunn is offline Member

What do you guys think of Arnold presses?

What do you guys think of Arnold presses? Are they good for building the front and side delts? Are they as good as seated overhead dumbbell presses? Also, are they safer to do than seated overhead dumbbell presses (in terms of the shoulder/rotator cuff not getting as irritated)?

jvjacked is offline New Member
    i feel that arnold presses work better than d-bell shoulder press, but they are extremely damaging to the rotator cuff. I used to do this exercise and did a good amount of damage to my rotator cuff, and now do not use them anymore

Quote Originally Posted by jvjacked
    i feel that arnold presses work better than d-bell shoulder press, but they are extremely damaging to the rotator cuff. I used to do this exercise and did a good amount of damage to my rotator cuff, and now do not use them anymore
    I heard the opposite...that Arnold presses are actually SAFER for your rotator cuff. Does anyone know what is in fact safer for your rotator cuff, Arnold presses or seated overhead dumbbell presses? And can someone please give an explanation as to why one is safer on your rotator cuff than the other?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 04-10-2007 at 01:16 AM.

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    they feel very uncomfortable for me. i guess it ***ends on your build and injury history. I have had shoulder issues in the past so i avoid anything that feels awkward to me.

ChiTownTommy is offline Senior Member
    i start out with the arnold presses for a warm up set and then i jump into normal db presses because it feels more natural

UberSteroids is offline Anabolic Member
    I feel great doning it, no pain at all. I think it is a very good exercise if done correctly.

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    i cant imagine them being BETTER for your rotator cuff????

how do you figure?

your lowering the weight and twisting your shoulders in and back out with xx amount of weight on top of them ...the stress on your tiny rotator cuff is phenominal...if the weight and movement is controlled you can keep the stress minimized but i believe it is still much greater then a traditional db press

dont get me wrong they work great and used to give me a hell of a burn, but wasnt doing enough to justify the stress they were putting on my shoulders....id rather have my good shoulder life used up by heavy db and bb work then arnold presses

skoaler29 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTommy
    i start out with the arnold presses for a warm up set and then i jump into normal db presses because it feels more natural
    Same for me, I have a rotator cuff injury and arnolds put me in pain unless i go super light for a warm-up.

JAYROD is offline Senior Member
    i don't see how they are easier on your rotator cuff either because they hurt my shoulders when i do them. i do however do them with my palms facing my ears at the bottom of the movement instead if doing them correctly where the back of your hands are facing foward.

What about NEUTRAL GRIP seated overhead dumbbell presses?

What about seated overhead dumbbell presses using a neutral grip? Like seen here:

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/...%20neutral.mpg

If I were to do standard overhead dumbbell/barbell presses right now, my shoulder would hurt. However if I do Arnold presses or overhead dumbbell presses using a neutral grip, I have no shoulder pain at all.

What do you guys think of doing seated overhead dumbbell presses using a neutral grip? And if I were to do them I would have my palms facing each other and I would just push straight up and down. I would go up to just before lock out and than I would come down to about ear level. Any of you fellas ever do these with good results?

One last thing, do seated overhead dumbbell presses using a neutral grip work your middle delts at all or do they just work your front delts?
    Last edited by Tommy Gunn; 04-13-2007 at 01:56 AM.

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Gunn
    What about seated overhead dumbbell presses using a neutral grip? Like seen here:

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/...%20neutral.mpg

If I were to do standard overhead dumbbell/barbell presses right now, my shoulder would hurt. However if I do Arnold presses or overhead dumbbell presses using a neutral grip, I have no shoulder pain at all.

What do you guys think of doing seated overhead dumbbell presses using a neutral grip? And if I were to do them I would have my palms facing each other and I would just push straight up and down. I would go up to just before lock out and than I would come down to about ear level. Any of you fellas ever do these with good results?

One last thing, do seated overhead dumbbell presses using a neutral grip work your middle delts at all or do they just work your front delts?
    Im they are an acceptable substitute, the bottom line is tho, do the exercise that DOESNT cause you pain

gigem is offline Banned
    i personally dont like them they feel akward and uncomfortable even at lighter weights but whatever works for you is what i would do

I feel like they are definitely hard to do correctly. I have learned over the last year how to do them right. I don't even need much weight to get a great burn. I still use the Straight press at the end tho.

Thread Information