chaznad is offline Junior Member

Cant squat , what happened to my knee??

2 weeks ago i was going heavy on squats ( for me at least)
    5 sets @ 315 between 4-6 reps
    this is the first time ive ever attemted that , normally i just slap on 225 and rep it out for 5 sets at about 12-15 reps..

i was extremly sore the next day . loved it , a week later i noticed something popping pain in my right knee , not an arthritis/ or dry joint type of cracking but more like a painful pop..
    when i squat down at 90degrees it hurts on the way up and down,, i can walk and even run but i cant squat or put pressure on my knee, sometimes it hurts when im just standing
    what the hell is going on, and what should i do?

K.Biz is offline Banned
    perhaps a minor tear or you probably pulled somthing. I would try icing it and keep it elevated as much as possible and lay off the leg workout for a week or 2 and see how that goes, if it doesnt get getter, theres always the doc!

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Might need to invest in some knee wraps to if you want to continue to squat heavy......

cool ,, its been a week and a half since my last leg workout ,, it sucks but im gonna lay off for another few weeks
    loooks like knee wraps will be a must

kfrost06 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chaznad
    this is the first time ive ever attemted that , normally i just slap on 225 and rep it out for 5 sets at about 12-15 reps..

i was extremly sore the next day . loved it , a week later i noticed something popping pain in my right knee , not an arthritis/ or dry joint type of cracking but more like a painful pop..
    when i squat down at 90degrees it hurts on the way up and down,, i can walk and even run but i cant squat or put pressure on my knee, sometimes it hurts when im just standing

Oh man, that sounds like what I just went through. I had a medial meniscus tear and had to get arthroscopic surgery yesterday. I posted about it on the injury board. That certainly does not mean that's what you have but that was my exact same symptoms. I could not squat or do leg press because of the pain but I could do leg extentions and leg curls. If I tried to do squats it would hurt for about a week. Otherwise it din't really bother me much. Next I am going to wrap my knees as soon as I go over 2 plates.

Doc.Sust is offline Retired "hall of famer/elite powerlifter"
    knee wraps.also glucosamine,chondiritin and msm stack

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chaznad

Could be 3 things-1) You've use poor form/bounced at the bottom. ...2) Your not going to be able to train with low reps when doing squats...3) Need wraps and much better form.

IMO you should let it heal and never go below 6-8 reps on squats if it causes pain. If the lower reps hurt stay between 12-15 reps! My bro is an orthopedic and he sees this all the time.
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 04-17-2007 at 08:39 PM.

slacker is offline Associate Member
    Kind of ignorant just to assume that.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    OMFG seriously guys GO TO A DOCTOR... you could have done serious damage to yourself you have no Idea whats goin on (I also dont believe doctors have all the answers) but go get checked out!!!!!

RA
    RA is offline Grade A Beef
    I normally get sore joints...wrap it and give it a week. Also take the supps doc said.

believe me id love to go c tha doc but no insurance for another 2 months and i cant afford it right now,, ill be smart about it
    ill invest in some gluc/chondrotin/msm along with knee wraps and 1-2 weeks of rest and see how that goes , any minor pain ill cut the workout short

Thread Information