Thread: Running Time

aolsux00 is offline Associate Member

Running Time

I'm trying to lose weight so I increased my cardio from 1 hour to almost 2 hours (1 and a half to two hours) five to six times a week. My trainer said its going to burn muscle if do that much cardio. Will it help if I take a protein shake before my runs? Thanks

LiveHuge is offline New Member
    if your goal if fat loss while trying to maintain muscle there is no reason to ever cardio for more than 45 minutes. And taking a protein shake before you run would be pointless as you would only be using this as your energy fuel in your cardio session while you are trying to target fat. I don't usually advise my hardcore lifters to run in the first place. Just maintain the right 65% max heart rate for at least 30 minutes on an empty stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveHuge
    if your goal if fat loss while trying to maintain muscle there is no reason to ever cardio for more than 45 minutes. And taking a protein shake before you run would be pointless as you would only be using this as your energy fuel in your cardio session while you are trying to target fat. I don't usually advise my hardcore lifters to run in the first place. Just maintain the right 65% max heart rate for at least 30 minutes on an empty stomach.

Is there a reason for the 45 minute limit? Even my heart rate is at the fat burning zone the whole time?

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    If you don't mind losing a tad bit of muscle, it will be fine. Do not have a shake before cardio. Cardio is best done on an empty stomach.

What exactly is your goal here? Just to lose fat? With a clean cutting diet, and 6 cardio days/week, for 1 hour at 65% MHR, you will see nice results. And maybe looking into an ECA stack. It works great. You shouldn't have to sacrafice muscle to lose some fat.

Quote Originally Posted by xlxBigSexyxlx
    If you don't mind losing a tad bit of muscle, it will be fine. Do not have a shake before cardio. Cardio is best done on an empty stomach.

What exactly is your goal here? Just to lose fat? With a clean cutting diet, and 6 cardio days/week, for 1 hour at 65% MHR, you will see nice results. And maybe looking into an ECA stack. It works great. You shouldn't have to sacrafice muscle to lose some fat.

Yes, I just want to lose fat, my goal is to lose another 20-25 pounds, I went from 205 to 175 pounds (I'm 23, 5'9, 16%BF) and I'm trying to get below 10% BF. I'm am having a very hard time losing the rest of my weight, I just started taking Meridia which I'm hoping will help curb my apetite.

nyjetsfan86 is offline Anabolic Member
    over training, going to lose a lot of muscle

Quote Originally Posted by nyjetsfan86
    over training, going to lose a lot of muscle
    Just in my legs? Or all over?

perfectbeast2001 is offline "king of free stuff" / Retired
    If you need to do that much cardio then there is something VERY wrong with your diet. Post it up, lets have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectbeast2001
    If you need to do that much cardio then there is something VERY wrong with your diet. Post it up, lets have a look.
    I'm not following any diets in the forum, I'm just trying to keep my calories down.

Breakfast
    2 cups special K with low fat soymilk

Snack
    Salad with vinegar

Lunch
    1 Scoop choclate protein shake blended with banana and ice

Snack
    Fruit - Usually a plum or an apple

Dinner
    Protein Shake with salad

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    ^^ WOW,

so many things wrong with what your doing.......where to start.....

juiceball44 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aolsux00
    I'm not following any diets in the forum, I'm just trying to keep my calories down.

Breakfast
    2 cups special K with low fat soymilk

Snack
    Salad with vinegar

Lunch
    1 Scoop choclate protein shake blended with banana and ice

Snack
    Fruit - Usually a plum or an apple

Dinner
    Protein Shake with salad
    are you a women? because you eat like my mother but she atleast gets one real protein source in her diet

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    That is a terrible diet. You're losing a ton of muscle and slowing your metabolism down.

Muscle maintenance should be #1 in any cutting diet IMO... because muscle is the key to having a high metabolism, and losing even more fat.

Thread Information