manwitplans is offline Senior Member

Best training cycle for growth

2 split with 2 heavy days and 2 "light" days a week, increasing loads as much as you can ofcourse.

Or:

Week 1-2: 10-12 reps
    Week 2-4: 8-10 reps
    week 4-6: 6-8 reps

With 1 week of decreasing load and volum for relaxing.
    Then the same cycle and hopefully start a little higher on the weights on week 1-2, ending up a little more weight every cycle around.

What would you guys suggest for growth? Which ones of these.

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    In reality, training styles really does not have anything to do with growth or no growth. Its all up to your diet and overall routine.

Well, for me the logic is: Increased strength - Increased muscle mass.
    So to gain muscle, gain strength (but not in the 1-4 rep range though).

Gain strength in the 6-12 rep range and get more mass.
    Have trained pretty much 9-grade training until now, without any "downtraining" for 1 week in between and trying to push all the weights higher. Have gained good mass until now, and it just stopped. Time to push it real and go med-evil on diet, and keep logs of it all and try to go further each time, and take a break or switch the traning up a bit when I can`t go further.

Check out my diet in the diet forum and see if you like it, or if i should make any changes and so on

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    Quote Originally Posted by VanTheMan
    Well, for me the logic is: Increased strength - Increased muscle mass.
    So to gain muscle, gain strength (but not in the 1-4 rep range though).

Gain strength in the 6-12 rep range and get more mass.
    Have trained pretty much 9-grade training until now, without any "downtraining" for 1 week in between and trying to push all the weights higher. Have gained good mass until now, and it just stopped. Time to push it real and go med-evil on diet, and keep logs of it all and try to go further each time, and take a break or switch the traning up a bit when I can`t go further.

Check out my diet in the diet forum and see if you like it, or if i should make any changes and so on
    Yeah, like im going to search and find your diet and study it. Seems like you think you know what is best, so why the pointless thread? Getting the post count up?

Quote Originally Posted by Johny-too-small
    Yeah, like im going to search and find your diet and study it. Seems like you think you know what is best, so why the pointless thread? Getting the post count up?
    Well you are a little duchy, yes ?
    Anyways, i wanted second opinions and people with other experiences, and thoughts around the subject.

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VanTheMan
    2 split with 2 heavy days and 2 "light" days a week, increasing loads as much as you can ofcourse.

Or:

Week 1-2: 10-12 reps
    Week 2-4: 8-10 reps
    week 4-6: 6-8 reps

With 1 week of decreasing load and volum for relaxing.
    Then the same cycle and hopefully start a little higher on the weights on week 1-2, ending up a little more weight every cycle around.

What would you guys suggest for growth? Which ones of these.
    I do not do heavy and light days, everyday in the gym is serious. I keep my reps around 8-12 for bulking and do drop sets and super sets. If you train hard and keep it intense and eat to grow you will grow, just keep it simple and have variety in your training.

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    if you stopped growing your body has achieved homeostasis with your current routine

when this happens to me i take a week off, change all of my exercises, start a new supplement or change brands of creatine/protein etc and hit it hard again

skank is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaberle_15
    I do not do heavy and light days, everyday in the gym is serious. I keep my reps around 8-12 for bulking and do drop sets and super sets. If you train hard and keep it intense and eat to grow you will grow, just keep it simple and have variety in your training.
    Very good advice! I feel a light day is a waste. It is better to fully recover the muscle and hit it hard again even if it takes 7 days to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by kaberle_15
    I don`t mean that you don`t work out hard for "light" days.
    I meant light as "more reps" days.

Example:

Day 1: 6-8 reps (heavy)
    Day 2: 10-12 reps (Light)
    Day 3: Rest
    Day 4: 4-6 reps (heavy)
    Day 5: 10-12 reps (Light..)

Just an example..

Quote Originally Posted by -DedicateD-
    if you stopped growing your body has achieved homeostasis with your current routine

when this happens to me i take a week off, change all of my exercises, start a new supplement or change brands of creatine/protein etc and hit it hard again
    Sounds good, mix it up a bit

Quote Originally Posted by skank
    Very good advice! I feel a light day is a waste. It is better to fully recover the muscle and hit it hard again even if it takes 7 days to recover.
    Read what I just wrote, and you`ll understand what I ment..

skank is offline Member
    Yeah I see what your saying. And mixing it up is with high reps is great. It just sounded like you were doing the same muscle group twice a week. If you are and that works then fine.

Quote Originally Posted by skank
    Yeah I see what your saying. And mixing it up is with high reps is great. It just sounded like you were doing the same muscle group twice a week. If you are and that works then fine.
    I am actually on a break week now, hurt my shoulder.
    Getting better now, hitting the weights again next week.
    I am therefor asking and poking around for any good ideas and experiences on workout regimes

You see

Thread Information