Babyweight is offline Female Member

Help...I need front delts!

I have completely quit training chest for 7 months now(not by choice) and I feel like my front delts are shrinking. I still do all my shoulder exercises (very heavy) but still.
    Would this have anything to do with the shrinking of my front delts? This may all sound crazy, but if not, could someone please give me a good exercise (preferrably a shoulder one where I'm not stretching my chest as much) to try.....Thanks Babyweight

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Pretty much any overhead presses hit front delts hard, front raises as well are good.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Front barbell presses and front raises (try doing them in the cable cross)

Originally posted by palme
    Front barbell presses and front raises (try doing them in the cable cross)
    Oh yeah, I haven't done the crossovers in awhile or the barbell presses. I only do the Dumbell presses and sometimes upright rows along with side laterals and rear delts.
    What about Arnold Presses??

MIKE_XXL is offline SCAMMER
    Arnold Press will work as well...XXL

If you want to isolate the front delt, do front raises, but keep it light. Going too heavy on that exercise can result in injury. Besides, you'll find that you probably can't lift much from that particular angle anyway.

Thanks so much you guys. I will give it a try. I think sometimes I try too much weight so I will go with a little lighter on the front presses.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    Another good way to do front raise to with one dumbell hold it like your doing a pull over with it or hammer style but with both hands, and raise it to the front, also works good seated to make form even more strick

Originally posted by silverfox
    Another good way to do front raise to with one dumbell hold it like your doing a pull over with it or hammer style but with both hands, and raise it to the front, also works good seated to make form even more strick
    I do these except with a 25 lb plate. Maybe I'll try the dumbells as well.
    Thanx!

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Have you ever tried teacup laterals? They work wonders on the front delts by hitting them from a few different angles all in one motion. You have to go real light though (i've never seen anyone do them with over 25lb dumbells). They're a little awkward at first, but yield great results. Anyway, here's a breakdown (I think Paul Dillet made these famous):

With a set of dumbells, sit on a bench as if you are about to begin seated hammer curls.

WIth palms facing eachother begin your standard front lateral raises.

At about chest-height, begin to gently turn your palms towards the sky and move your hands gradually out and away from your body while still moving on an upward plane.

At about chin-high bring gently return your hands to the initial position

Continuing up bring the dumbells in to meet while twisting your hands to the point each is pouring an imaginary kettle of tea in front of your eyes.

Return the dumbells on that same (rather odd at first) plane.

To make it easier to visualize the correct movement, imagine you're tripping or something and you can see a neon beam of light trailing your movements with the dumbell. Your right hand will make (from your vantage point) almost a perfect question mark outline, while your left will make the mirror image of that so together they would form almost a traditional junior high girl's doodling of a heart on her notebook.

Somewhat unorthodox and a bit odd to perform at first, but these work WONDERS.

Wow Big Green, this seems pretty interesting, only I think I'll try these at home first before I make an ass out of myself at the gym.
    One question though,when you say you bring your hands out in front of you, are you saying your basically going from a side lateral to a front lateral???? I'm still a little confused.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Yeah, sort of....you sit on the bench as if you're about to begin side laterals or hammer curls. To start, you can just do front raises with that particular grip (as someone else suggested i think...it's a nice diff't angle). Really, all teacups are is this version of front raises with the whole sweep of the question mark thrown in to add an interesting twist to them....these shock my side and front delts like no other.

Here's a link of someone performing what they call teacups, but it'll give you a decent idea of what they are. Where he brings his arms out away from his body, keep yours in tight until the point at which you're going to perform the outward sweep to begin the question mark/heart shaped outline. Then, at his final movement, you'll add one more, per se, by bringing the dumbells in together with a twist as if each one is pouring into a cup balancing on your lap...return on the same plane.

The one he's performing incorporates side delts more, the variation i'm talking about hits more of the front...but the twist at the end gives the sides a bit of a hit as well. Try them with an extremely light weight till you feel it working the intended area. I've walked a few friends through these in person, and they swear by them once they get the movement down...hopefully, the same value holds over the internet.

LINK: http://www.paulbunting.net/fitness/demos/tealat.html

Gotcha! Thanks, I'll give it a try

Thread Information