Thread: Yates Rows

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member

Yates Rows

So I just started at my new gym (HEAVEN ON EARTH.. old school 80's house of iron) and they have a hammer strength dorian yates row machine.... It's called DY Rows. Put 2 & 2 together on that one. Great machine and I haven't felt it hit my lats like that in a long ass time... Just thought I would through that out there... No real point.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    our gym sucks with machines for back, except this one that hits my mid back just right.

I like doing dorian rows with a barbell, sort of paying almage (sp?) to him. Plus no one really does back at my gym anyway so it uber cool.

is your gym still a hard-core gym??

Anavar Man is offline Member
    Noboby had a better cobra lat spread than Dorian.

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anavar Man
    Noboby had a better cobra lat spread than Dorian.

"had" true.... "has" Ronnie?

its straight up hardcore... chalk dust hovering in the air, dudes in work boots... its straight outa pumping iron. best part is there is a sign near the squat racks and power rack that says shoes optional and a picture of a barefoot arnold underneath it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Lifts-a-lot
    its straight up hardcore... chalk dust hovering in the air, dudes in work boots... its straight outa pumping iron. best part is there is a sign near the squat racks and power rack that says shoes optional and a picture of a barefoot arnold underneath it!
    Your gym sounds nastey, I'm jeolous!!

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member
    ur gym does sound awesome, no one in my gym does legs and i think i am the only one who deadlifts it's pretty sad, anyway i am not too crazy about machines i am free weights all the way except some cable work and legpress and the pulldowns, anyways idk this is a pointless post but i am jealous of your gym

nietzsche0904 is offline New Member
    what is it like? just like his underhanded rows or what are the mechanics beyhind it?

sonnygll is offline Member
    I don't like machines. The original Yates row is just an underhand bentover row with just a bit less ROM. You just pull the bar a little above your thighs, not quite to the waist area. I just do the exercise the original way like that with a barbell. It is good to alternate with a standard bent over row. Heavy underhand back work is great for biceps too.

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member
    i always wondered if you still hit your back doing barbell rows underhanded, because i can use more weight and use much better form underhanded, but i also think it's just my biceps doin the work, can any vets clear this?

underhand grip rows hits your lats higher up, around the area where your lats tie into your rear delts.

Thread Information