texasmk4 is offline Associate Member

interval training

Interval training is far more superior to boosting your metabolism than it is to do steady state aerobic training. Steady state aerobic does not increase your metabolism at all. It is true that you are burning calories while you are actually performing the aerobics. However, once you are done with your session, your metabolism returns to normal.

However, interval training (consisting of moderate to high intensity cardio) will burn more calories per minute, and will elevate your metabolism for hours and hours. The right amount of resistance training combined with an intense interval training session can keep your metabolism up for at least 24 hours and in some cases, up to 42 hours. Imagine what that can do to your body if you are burning high amounts of fat all day and all night long (even when you are sleeping).

is it true, i need some feed back from the experts

sonnygll is offline Member
    Yes, it true. Here are some links I posted in another thread.

http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/HIITvsET.html
    http://etd-submit.etsu.edu/etd/these...d/king0417.pdf

This last one is mostly about sports. However if you scroll down, the second to last question is in regards to losing fat while preserving muscle in bodybuilding.
    http://www.cbass.com/INTERVAL.HTM

texasmk4 is offline Associate Member
    good looking out bro, appreciate it.

TR'05 is offline Member
    sonny,

the second one isn't working for me? Do you, by chance, have another link?

Thanks for the links, either way!

ejb3 is offline New Member
    Just curious. I usually do my cardio either by using a treadmill and/or eliptical. I wear a heart rate monitor on my wrist to see where im at in regards to THR. I guess my question is:

What is the typical program that one would use for High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) ?

I would guess something that mimics Wind Sprints on a treadmill and, maybe the "Interval training" program on the eliptical. A program that keeps Heart rate at 70% MHR for 2min then you go all out for 30-90seconds then back down to 70%MHR for another 2min?

Just looking to see what some ppl do for cardio that falls into the High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) category.

Links were a good read btw.

Thx in advance.

TR, it is a PDF, you will need adobe acrobat reader. It should be on your computer already I would think. Go to this link and click on download latest version, on the right. It will give you a link to the version for whatever OS you are running.

http://www.adobe.com/products/reader/

ejb3, on an eliptical, you would set it for a high resistance level and go as hard as you can for 30 seconds, then set it to a very low resistance level and go at a jogging pace for 90 seconds. Your heart rate will vary. It will get very high, and then get lower when you recover. You want to warm up and cool down for a few minutes before and after. 3 minutes or so is usually enough time.

barbell and dumbbell complexes are another idea. Just google it.

another thing I like to do is Olympic lifts with low weight. The weight depends on how strong you are. But I do clean and press or high pull with 75 pounds for 12 reps, then walk around the gym for a minute until I catch my breath and can do another set.

You can do it with jumping rope as well. There are lots of possibilities.

TR'05 is offline Member
    Thanks sonny- I don't think I've installed it on this computer yet (running MacOSX, or something). The articles were a nice read- I have been doing HIIT for about 6 weeks now and was looking for articles.

Another couple ideas for those interested:

Hill sprints are great, weather permitting.

Sled push/pull.

A variety of strongman exercises (log press, farmer's walk, tire flips, sledgehammer work, and the like) are other great ones- my favourites.

What does your pre and post workout nutrition look like around your HIIT training, sonny?

I only do HIIT while cutting, so it is just whey protein. 2 scoops before and 2 after. Which is about 25 grams per scoop. Then my other meals are mostly protein and fat with 40 to 60 carbs spread through the day. Sometimes a little less if I want to get really hardcore. I don't count the calories, but it's probably around 3000 a day.

Of course if it is JUST HIIT and no regular weight training that day, I don't really take anything before or after per say, but I do still take the whey shakes, I just don't necessarily have them right before and after.

Good examples of HIIT by the way.

TR'05 is offline Member
    Thanks for the quick response, bro. No carbo's pre & post?

Nothing beats HIIT IMO....the boredom of low intensity cardio pretty much made me neglect cardio all together. Then I started training wrestling (again) and BJJ- needed to brush up on conditioning. The rest is history.

HIIT allows me to make cardio sessions quicker and a hell of a lot more fun (strongman circuits). Also, I love the feeling of that jacked up HR!

Yea, I'm the same way. All I do is bodybuilding though. So I use it to cut. That's why no carbs for me. You on the other hand are training for a sport. So you are going to want the carbs. Unless you are just trying to make weight for a wrestling match.

Thread Information