ExitedNoob is offline Junior Member

Need training tips

Hey everyone. It was brought to my attention the other night by my friend that we over work our selfs. Basically we go to the gym 6 days a week. We usually do cardio in the AM, pending we wake up and we lift at night. Usually our workouts look like this. Please crit and crit hard.

Sets consist of 10reps for the most part:

Chest/Tri
    DB incline x 3 sets
    DB decline x 3 sets
    Flat bench machine. Master 2k??. Its the machine that has 5 settings (sorry i forget the name) 1 - 2 - 3 - 1&3 - 1&2 (each one we do one time = 5 sets)
    Fly Machine x 3 sets
    Dips x 3 sets
    Pull downs (TRI) x 3 sets
    Seated Tri machine x 3 sets

Shoulders/Back
    High row machine x 3 sets
    Low row machine x 3 sets
    Military Press machine x 3 sets
    Seated up right DB presses x 3 sets

Biceps
    Standing DB Curls x 3 sets
    Seated E-Z Curl bar x 3 sets
    Standing E-Z Curl bar x 3 sets
    Hammer Curls x 3 sets
    Seated Master 2000?? machine. 5 difference exercises in 1 (5 sets) like the machine I mentioned above for chest)
    Pull ups.

Legs
    Seated leg press x 5
    Seated thigh x 3
    Standing leg press x 3
    Calf raises x 3

***after each night we sit in the sauna for 15 mins. Also once we get through these workouts in 4 days we kinda pick one of them to go back to just so we have something to do for the 6 days that we go to the gym.

Again please crit well. I am sure we are all out of wack. I personally feel improvements in the wieghts I lift. I been increasing the weights pretty good, but every since my friend brought it up I thought about it and I agree.

off to the gym now. will check back. if this post sounds broken up i am sorry since i was being bugged the whole time writing this. .

sonnygll is offline Member
    The biggest problem is it is way to much isolation and machines. You are doing more sets for biceps than for your entire lower body.

90% of your routine should be any variations of the follwing: squat, deadlift, row, bench, chins, dips.

You pick 2 pressing exercises like flat and incline bench, and 2 pulling, like rows and chins. That is pretty much it for upper body, just sprinkle in a couple isolation sets as desired. Then for lower pick a ham focused exercise like a deadlift variation and a quad focused one like any squat variation, and that's it for lower. Maybe add a little something extra for inner thighs and something like standing calf or calf press. Then with fewer exercises, you can do more sets of better mass builders.

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    comments in bold

Quote Originally Posted by ExitedNoob
    Hey everyone. It was brought to my attention the other night by my friend that we over work our selfs. Basically we go to the gym 6 days a week. We usually do cardio in the AM, pending we wake up and we lift at night. Usually our workouts look like this. Please crit and crit hard.

Sets consist of 10reps for the most part:

Chest/Tri
    DB incline x 3 sets
    DB decline x 3 sets
    Flat bench machine. Master 2k??. Its the machine that has 5 settings (sorry i forget the name) 1 - 2 - 3 - 1&3 - 1&2 (each one we do one time = 5 sets)
    Fly Machine x 3 sets
    Dips x 3 sets
    Pull downs (TRI) x 3 sets
    Seated Tri machine x 3 sets

i would keep this workout to a bb pressing exercise, a different db pressing exercise, and a fly exercise

for triceps i would keep the dips upright, and then maybe a skullcrusher or heavy straight bar push down

Shoulders/Back
    High row machine x 3 sets
    Low row machine x 3 sets
    Military Press machine x 3 sets
    Seated up right DB presses x 3 sets

assuming your shoulders arn't sore from chest day (which they should be) i would stick to 2 exercises for back thickness like rows, t-bar, deads etc and 2 exercises for back width like wide grip pullups, etc

for shoulders i would do db or bb military press (standing or seated) upright rows, lateral raises and some exercises for traps

Biceps
    Standing DB Curls x 3 sets
    Seated E-Z Curl bar x 3 sets
    Standing E-Z Curl bar x 3 sets
    Hammer Curls x 3 sets
    Seated Master 2000?? machine. 5 difference exercises in 1 (5 sets) like the machine I mentioned above for chest)
    Pull ups.

if you did back day correctly, your bi's will now be sore and shouldnt be done but if u insist on keeping bi's on their own day BB curls, alternating db curls, and strict preacher hammer curls would work ....including pullups a day after back is not logical

Legs
    Seated leg press x 5
    Seated thigh x 3
    Standing leg press x 3
    Calf raises x 3

you going to want to include squats in this workout as your base, i like to do another compound movement like leg press , or hacksquat in addition to standing and lying hamstring curls...if i feel sick ill move calves to another day or may do them today as well

***after each night we sit in the sauna for 15 mins. Also once we get through these workouts in 4 days we kinda pick one of them to go back to just so we have something to do for the 6 days that we go to the gym.

no need to goto the gym 6 days a week, your just being counter productive

Again please crit well. I am sure we are all out of wack. I personally feel improvements in the wieghts I lift. I been increasing the weights pretty good, but every since my friend brought it up I thought about it and I agree.

off to the gym now. will check back. if this post sounds broken up i am sorry since i was being bugged the whole time writing this. .

Thanks for the response sonny and d.

D or anyone else would you mine outlining some sort of training schedule with specific exercises, number of reps/sets and the day of the week? Just something for my friend and I to follow? I think a lot of our problem is since I kinda coach us so to speak I go off of what I see a lot of people doing, plus I add too which cause us to be over working. So yea I basically don't know what I'm doing. I just picked and continue to went with it, adding some here n there along the way.

Thank you

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    check out massbuilds workout Is this enough?

if i was going to do a 4day split this would be it...i like my 3 days splits tho im going to start the slingshot method of training fairly soon as posted in the sticky on top of the forum

green22 is offline Senior Member
    yea what sonny said. all machines for back and legs????come on now. squats, lunges, fronts, with a BB. pull-ups, BB rows, deads.
    A training pratice that I have done for years is always use at least 1 BB exercise per body part.

dinadilo1 is offline New Member

Need training tips

Hi, Actually I also think I need some tips. my blood pressure is higher than normal. I am on a pill named Hydrochlorozide to keep my blood pressure down. My blood pressure is normally178/118 and that was even when I was on my pill. So in this situation what kind of exercise will be suitable for me? Please advice.

Last edited by dinadilo1; 11-13-2007 at 05:16 PM.

sonnygll is offline Member
    hijacking threads raises your blood pressure. Didn't you know that?

Especially when they are kinda old.......

woahhhhhhhhhhhhh =)

Thread Information