Talking Moving right along!

Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04 View Post
    when is this gonna be 2 pages lol

this is the longest 1 page ever it seems

its good stuff though, gotta keep it going
    I'm still with you. WE JUST HIT PAGE 2

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    deleted
    Last edited by IronReload04; 11-18-2007 at 08:22 PM.

deleted
    Last edited by IronReload04; 11-18-2007 at 08:24 PM.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

Wink I think you are correct..

i gotta say, its nice doing it here rather than bb.com

if it was bb.com, it would be world war 3
    I visited bodybuiLding.com today and guess what I saw. Scroll down to page 3 on this link http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5358063

A lot of highschool kids over there. I often wonder how I would have acted back then if I had had access to the internet..LOL
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 11-01-2007 at 01:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Question

ya, and i do acknowledge that........I know their is such a vast amount of information in this thread.....i did say once before that strength gains can directly or indirectly grow muscle mass....

I will explain what I mean........I absolutely agree, that alot of times, strength gains are nueroligical.......and lifting heavier doesnt mean you have new muscle mass, but chances are good that you might.
    But the whole point with dc, is, that training with heavier weights, will eventually, in the long run, lead to a larger you, a larger body......its not so much making the gain thats growing the muscle (it very well could be, but not always), but its handling the heavier weight over time......

so, lets say my strength increases on incline bench by 20 pounds......its possible that it could be all nuerological......but 3 months down the road, "simply" handling that weight compared to what i used to be handling, with the right food intake, will produce a larger human being...

5 years from now, if i can inlcine bench 100 pounds more than I can now, believe me, thats a first class growth stimulis.....

an idea of dante is

"he has never seen someone who could incline bench 405 for reps, squat ass to grass 600 for reps, deadlift 600 for reps who was small"

absolute strength is not correlated with muscle size......but in perfect form, "STRENGTH PROGRESSION" is highly correlated with muscle growth with the proper food intake....since we are constantly getting stronger, we are contsantly feeding ourselves a stimulus to be larger.....perfect form, powerbuilding form mind you, not powerlifting form

this is the very nature of "our" progressive overload
    I totally agree with Dante in that handling heavier weights over time plays a big factor. That's called a progressive over-load. But what about a true progressive over-load-increasing the volume to create gains as well?

Increases in muscle size can also be forth coming by simply adding volume, not just increasing the amount of weight one lifts. Why not combine both of these factors like I have done with the STS and get the best of both worlds?

Blog Entries
    Originally Posted by IronReload04

an idea of dante is

"he has never seen someone who could incline bench 405 for reps, squat ass to grass 600 for reps, deadlift 600 for reps who was small"

absolute strength is not correlated with muscle size......but in perfect form, "STRENGTH PROGRESSION" is highly correlated with muscle growth with the proper food intake....since we are constantly getting stronger, we are contsantly feeding ourselves a stimulus to be larger.....perfect form, powerbuilding form mind you, not powerlifting form

this is the very nature of "our" progressive overload

I agree that someone who can incline press 405 for reps is not going to have a small chest. But, I have seen people who could bench 405 for reps that simply could not get a massive chest until they added flyes to their program. What do you do in those instances since you are limited to 1 exercise?

K.Biz is offline Banned
    damn this is a good thread

deleted
    Last edited by IronReload04; 11-18-2007 at 08:25 PM.

deleted

Blog Entries
    ahhh ha

ok, i didnt catch the difference between progressive vs true overload......didnt know true overload was a term, so i take it true means volume.

the thinking by dc is this.....you cannot progress infinately with volume, somewhere down the lines, you will get deminishing returns because you can only do so many sets........strength on the otherhand, infinite progress can be made....that is, their is no point where you will start getting diminishing returns

Training has to do with adaptation. ALL 3- Volume, Intensity and Strength have it's limitations. For e.g.; If you perform 1 intense set of heavy barbell curls twice a week, the neural pathways will eventually adjust themselves by getting stronger so they can handle an even heavier weight load next time you train. Yes, the biceps will get stronger, but not necessarily a lot bigger. Stay with me here! When you take advantage of the added strength gains made by using less volume and then co-mingling those added strength gains with additional training volume while not over-training, you can be assured you will grow bigger muscles! That is how you create a true progressive overload! You can use all the fancy beyond failure training methods such as drop sets and rest-pause for hours on end and never create a true progressive overload because limitless adaptation equals a heavier workload in conjunction with additional volume to breakdown down more muscle tissue, while never going past the point of diminishing returns.

I do not agree with DC about strength being infinite. Strength gains cannot be defined as infinite because strength gains will eventually slow down and possibly stop altogether. If strength gains were indeed infininte then we could all bench press 1,000,000,000,000,000,000, pounds plus and thats just not how it works. When a bodybuilder can bench press 400 pounds for 2 sets then incorporate periods where they do 5 sets does it mean they are not making progress in building muscle mass because they are stuck at 400 pounds? Of course not because they have added more sets to cause trauma to the tissue during the appropriate times. I call this Slingshot Periodization!! At this point caloric intake becomes a large factor as does the "anabolic priming phase" in order to make the muscles more sensitive to the volume previously used during the last "anabolic blasting phase"!!!!!

I agree with DC that you cannot progress infinetly with volume. I made that clear in the first post of this thread. But, how can he say 2 sets is the cut off point? I feel I made a good case as to why 10 sets is that cut off point. Basically, it has to do with the fact a muscle quits firing with efficiency after doing about 10 work sets.
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 11-01-2007 at 07:05 PM.

deleted

Blog Entries
    o sling shot, by the way, i started dc back up today......it was planned.....so it was really just ironic that this thread started a couple days ago wow.....

so, damn, i forgot how intense this programs is.....havnt done it in 6 months.......The rest pause is extremely taxing.....its more taxing, far more taxing, than 2 straight sets with 2 forced reps.....i was breathing like a locomotive the whole time too.....

another huge huge benefit for me...with dc, is that i can do cardio 4 days a week, every other day, to stay lean.....huge huge plus......and the metabolic increases that come from lifting heavy, and involving large portions of the body, are really huge.......I feel like I am in love lol

I love this shit
    LOL...It does not take many rest-paused sets before you feel taxed.

You hit the nail on the head when you said heavy lifting increases one's metabolic rate. Sonny brought up a very good point in one of the cardio thread were he stated HIT or HIIT cardio will in fact burn more bodyfat 24 hours post training in comparison to low/moderate intensity cardio.

Here's my question to you-why would you want to become a cardio monkey during an entire mass phase when you could spend more time and energy during a designted (4 weeks) to really blast the muscles and make them grow? Not to mention you drastically increase sarcopalsmic growth which makes up roughly 30% of your muscle size!!!

When my trainees are using the STS properly they don't have the extra energy to waste on cardio during the 4 week anabolic blast because they need it for recovery. Only during the "anabolic cruise" and the "anabolic prime" is training volume lowered enough were one can benefit by adding cardio. And even though the training volume will be lowered after the "anabolic blast", sarcoplasmic growth will be maintained until the next blasting phase because you're never taking a complete lay-off unless injured or on vacation.

Does that make sense?

Drive is offline New Member
    interesting chat were having

deleted

Blog Entries

Exclamation

[QUOTE=IronReload04;3691927]ahhh ha

ok, i didnt catch the difference between progressive vs true overload......didnt know true overload was a term, so i take it true means volume.

A progressive over-load and a true progressive over-load are not one in the same. Creating a progressive over-load is brought forth by being able to lift more weight using the same form, amount of work sets, and rest periods between sets. A true progressive over-load (a phrase I coined) is also brought forth when you can lift more weight using the same form, and rest periods between sets, but the amount of work sets performed must be greater than what’s required to produce a progressive over-load!

Blog Entries

Wink

[QUOTE=IronReload04;3692175]ok

1. I believe what you are saying makes sense.......Its a logical idea and principle.....I believe it may work very well.......as far as volume...on the other hand...Let me ask you this though......if you can bench press 405 for 2 sets, does doing 5 sets with 405 cause a reason to be bigger? Why do you need to be bigger, to do 5 sets instead of 2? wierd as this may sound, I am thinking of a caveman.......if he can already press a boulder for instance 10 times for 2 sets.......what kind of adaptions are really taking place to allow him to do it for 3 additional sets........might it have something to do with endurance? My argument is that, in order for him to push a much larger boulder, he needs to be bigger to be able to do it.....or doing it will make him bigger.........perhaps your way, as well as mine, will do the trick...after all, their is multiple ways to skin a cat.

The fastest way to making the muscles hypertrophy are combining the 2 basic principles below.

1) Gaining strength! Obviously, we clearly agree on this point. This is the basis of DOGGCRAPP TRAINING. A very good concept!

2) Increasing volume through periodization in order to cause more trauma to muscle tissue. The STS and DC training principles become divided in this area.

Note: Elite powerlifters follow periodization with straight sets to peak out their strength and size gains.

Very low volume or very high volume is always a bad idea during a mass phase. I feel a lot of bodybuilders miss the boat by trying to find what they consider the perfect amount of training volume their bodies can recover from and then they stick to it indefinitely. They mistakenly believe that any work performed over that limit will take away from their recovery abilities and decrease their muscle mass. They also believe that any work done below that perfect threshold won’t break down enough muscle tissue to stimulate growth.

The logic behind their thinking is to use the perfect training volume required to stimulate muscle growth so they can stick with it indefinitely and always fully recover. What these individuals fail to realize is that the body will become over-trained by using the same routine for a prolonged period regardless of the amount of volume used! This is why periodically increasing the volume actually prevents over-training through over-adaptation. That’s right, frequent bouts of more training equal’s enhanced recovery and strength not the other way around. Obviously muscle endurance does come into play !

When many bodybuilders hit a plateau, what do they do? They begin to push even harder by adding more intensity or exercises to their routine. This kind of thinking is wrong because a muscle has to be exposed to something it is not used to doing without over-training the nervous system and joints. Adding additional exercises or trying to use beyond failure techniques is widely accepted for producing frustrated bodybuilders!

It’s no secret that progressively adding more weight to every lift is a sure-fire way to increase total lean body mass, given the diet, training volume, and exercise selection is spot on. This is precisely what the Slingshot Training System will do.

Almost everyone starts out using low volume. They grow at a phenomenal rate until the body adapts and quits responding. Because some feel the gains were so great using the lower volume approach, they begin to try and lift heavier weights while using the same program for extended periods of time. They put continued pressure on themselves to try to beat personal records each training session in hopes it will somehow further their muscle mass. Eventually these people end up with chronic injuries and/or stagnation as a result.

Now check this out! The intelligent trainer’s switch-over to using more volume, while the less fortunate keep thinking less is always more! However, the next mistake comes into play by the trainees who have switched over to using the higher volume approach. Many bodybuilders become so overwhelmed with their newly found muscle mass after having increased the volume that they begin to reason with themselves thinking more must always be done from that point on. They quickly hit a point of diminishing returns and eventually develop over-use injuries and an over-trained nervous system, instead of reverting back to using a lower amount of volume that worked so well at the beginning.

Sometimes their training will take the form of more sets-reps, exercises, intensity, training session, etc. Some are in constant search for the latest routines that will shock their muscles even further. However, all this does is hold them back even more because no one can overcome diminishing returns or keep using the same routine for extended periods of time and expect to make maximal gains!
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 11-02-2007 at 06:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by K.Biz View Post
    damn this is a good thread
    It just keeps getting better!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Drive View Post
    interesting chat were having
    Interesting to say the least.

Blog Entries

Question

Blog Entries

Exclamation

ok

2. as far as infinity goes......think of it in the other direction.....think of 2 points, and stand on one of them......go half way to the other point, then do it again, and again, and again.......if you go half way to the next point every time, you can never get to the other point......so it can be said that you can go half way to the next point an infinite amount of times.........thinking of strength this way, it really is infinite......now just think of it as a really really really big distance, a distance so big, that 99 percent of people never get to the point where going half way yields no noticable difference....progress slows, but it never stops.........its my belief that anyone who is not elite, can make progress very rapidly. alot of people, normal jo's in the gym, stall because they are undereating and not doing a thought out logical routine.
    I totaly agree about people stalling due not following logical training/dieting principles.

Okay,I can make the same arguments for volume and intensity as you are making about strength. In short, there are limitations in-

1) How fast you can progress in gaining strength

2) How much intensity you can use while avoiding over-training

3) How many sets you can perform without hitting a point of diminishing returns.

Note: I have learned that the key to maxing out one's full-genetic potential as a bodybuilder is creating a perfect balance between all 3 (Volume/Strength/Intensity).

Which training approach do you believe is going to yield the fastest gains in strength? In other words which training sytle below is the absolute best way to reach point B to point A in the shortest amount of time?

1) A rest paused set in the high rep range?

2) A straight set in the lower rep range?

Obviously it's not a good idea to keep adding sets forever. If there were a perfect linear relationship between the number of sets used each workout and the muscle gains made, then adding both size and strength would simply come about by increasing the number of sets and we know this won't work with maximum efficiency.

On the other hand, if there were a perfect linear relationship between strength increases and the msucle gains made, then adding both size and strength would simply come about by increasing one's strength and we know this won't work with maximum efficiency.

Here's what I have learned- You can't just keep gaining strength at a rapid pace or continue adding more sets or intensity to grow indefintely. 10 work sets per muscle group will work better than 2 for a time, but it doesn't follow that 20 sets will work better than 10. In addition, it does not mean 10 sets will always work better than 2 sets because a de-load is in order for making maximum progress to continue.

Current research tells me that a moderate volume training approach like the one used with the STS increases strength better than either a high volume (for i.e.; 20 sets) or a low volume ( for i.e.; 2 sets). I am of the belief that there is indeed an optimal training volume to be used with straight sets during specific training phases. Deviating very far below or above has compromised gains in both strength and size for those I have trained.

Blog Entries

Question

ok

3. dante himself never said anything about cut off points.....that was me......i just said that was my sweet spot for strength gains, but who is to say its not 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever
    Wouldn't 4 sets or more of rest-pause cause serious over-training? The DC training method I have read about is 1 rest-paused set twice every 8 days.

Blog Entries
    o sling shot, by the way, i started dc back up today......it was planned.....so it was really just ironic that this thread started a couple days ago wow.....

so, damn, i forgot how intense this programs is.....havnt done it in 6 months.......The rest pause is extremely taxing.....its more taxing, far more taxing, than 2 straight sets with 2 forced reps.....i was breathing like a locomotive the whole time too.....

IronReload what you just described sounds more like cardio conditioning that gaining strength.

I find rest-pause is comparable to laying cement block. pick up 2-20 pound block. Walk it 10 ft and lay it down. Repeat 20 times. Take 15 seconds to get back to the pile of blocks.

How can you expect to generate a high rate of torque while at the end of a rest-pause set? Would'nt it be better to avoid this type of fatigue when lifting weights. Too me rest-pause done in the higher rep range is a beyond failure technique like drop sets designed to cause hypertrophy through accumulative fatigue not making maximum strength gains.

deleted

deleted
    Last edited by IronReload04; 11-18-2007 at 08:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Fyi!!!!!

I now understand why he calls himself Ironreload. When he runs out of ammo he simply re-loads...LOL

I wanted to make it clear to the everyone that IronReload and I are in no way arguing. We are simply presenting our views about each variable. This might just be the comparison of all time between low vs moderate volume training when we are finished.
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 11-03-2007 at 10:44 AM.

moush is offline Senior Member
    this is a great read!

especially since i have done Doggcrapp before with some success and now I am using STS

Blog Entries
    its goes like this, and I will use chest as an example

monday- incline bench- i set rest paused

friday- dumbell bench- 1 set rest paused

wednesday- 15 deg smith bench- 1 set rest paused

so its 3 sets rest paused in 2 weeks.....

a rest paused set looks like this,

basically just a straight set until failure....rack the weight.....take 15 deep breaths........grind out some reps....repeat once more

so it depends how you look at it

its not possible not to make strength gains if we are doing things precisely as layed out, and not dieting down......if you are not making strength gains, you are not doing this program correctly its that simple
    I believe the more you do the above scenario the more strength gains will slow down until finally plateauing and no longer being able to gain.

Now take a very close look at the 3 day per week STS below. You'll notice the 3 day per STS is based on the "EXACT" same principle as DC training (getting progressively stronger). They're lay-out is very similar. Probably more so that any other training systems out there!

The STS involves a 2 exercise rotation as opposed to 3 rotation like DC. I did this because I feel it allows more specific adaptions to occur. I think you can build more muscle and strength by always using the 2 most productive exercises per body part as opposed to spending time on less effective movements.

I also added a higher volume phase to induce more growth. I feel the DC blast could be compared to the STS anabolic cruise (gaining more strength and some size). I feel the DC cruise could be compared to the STS anabolic prime (taking a recovery period). I do not see anything in the DC program that compares to the STS blasting phase (mass and then strength as opposed to strength and then mass like the cruise).

Heres a summary of the (3 day per week) STS-"Single-Shot" Slingshot Training System

There are 3 phases to each cycle:

1. Prime: 2 weeks 1 set per body part, low volume
    2. Blast: 4 weeks 4 sets per body part, high volume
    3. Cruise: 2 weeks 2 sets per body part, moderate volume

During each phase organize your workouts as follows:

A.
    Chest
    Shoulders
    Triceps
    Back width
    Biceps
    Brachialis

B.
    Calves
    Lat thickness
    Traps
    Quads
    Hams
    Abs

Alternate workouts as follows:

Monday: A
    Wednesday: B
    Friday: A
    Monday: B

Choose 1 key (or primary) compound exercise and 1 secondary (compound or isolation) exercise for each muscle group. Then take those exercises and rotate them using only 1 per workout so that the above rotation looks like this:

Monday: A Key
    Wednesday: B Key
    Friday: A Secondary
    Monday: B Secondary
    Wednesday A Key
    Friday B Key

REPS- Unless otherwise stated all reps are performed to "good failure" i.e.
    the point at which no further reps are possible in good form

SETS Do up to 3 warm up sets and then perform your work sets as follows (with the exception of abs/brachialis/traps and hams which only require 1 set)

1. PRIME- Key exercises are performed only
    1 set 12-15 reps

2. BLAST
    i) Key
    1st set- 6-8 rep 1 rep short of good failure
    2nd set 4-6 reps
    3rd set 6-8 reps
    4th set 12-15 reps
    ii) Secondary
    1st set- 12-15 reps
    2nd set 8-10 reps
    3rd set 8-10 reps
    4th set 4-6 (or 6-8 reps if isolation exercise)

3. CRUISE- effectively 1st and 2nd sets of BLAST
    i) Key
    1st set 6-8 reps 1 rep short of good failure
    2nd set 4-6 reps
    ii) Secondary
    1st set 12-15 reps
    2nd set 8-10 reps

So my question is- how do you "BLAST" with low volume?
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 11-03-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Question

ya......makes sense....from a different perspective, this is why i like being a cardio bunny

1. hunger- it drives hunger even more
    2. I believe it gets the digestive system running smoothly, and on all cylynders
    3. blood flow, recovery, sweats out toxins
    4. increases food intake....increased food intake raises metabolism
    5. allows us to eat like 300 pounders, but curbs bodyfat gain in doing the process

this is my favorite thing dante has ever said, well i put together a couple of them

a food processing, human forklift, muscle building fat burning blast furnace

we feel hot, and we sweat literally all the time....its a good feeling.....it all leads to a good body composition.
    1) I think the heat is caused by eating 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.

2) More weight training volume also increased appetite, sweat, blood flow, revs up the metabolism, etc.

3) Some 300 lbers don't eat as much as a lot of 180 lbers.

Don't you think the body would eventually adapt to aerobics if not given a break?

moush is offline Senior Member
    i used to be a cardio bunny i did it for almost 2 yrs straight and this is the first time ive taken off from cardio (its been 3 weeks so far without cardio, i have one week left) and i gotta say i still feel great, i dont feel "heavy". Once the cruise phase comes ill do cardio 3 times a week for 45-60 min.

deleted

one more thing to add

from the dc/low volume perspective

if you gain strength, but fail to gain size over time....it has been said that the person has not eaten enough food, and thats where the problem lies....with proper food intake, size will always come

Blog Entries
    ok....couple things.....I was reading on im.com.........about whats taking place with gains on dc........a big idea is that we rotate our exercises.......this is supposed to, to a degree, prevent neural adaption....so any increase in strength should be direct result of muscle mass.....It was stated by a higher up, that some people dont do very well when they use the same exercise every single time.....because they dont make nueral adaptions very well......."this program is great for those people"

Now me, i make nueral adaptions very well, probably why i was doing so well with what i was doing this summer-fall.

from our perspective, how do we blast?

so, with variability in exercises, its our belief that strength gains are muscle gains in our case...

and remember, even though we are officially only doing 1 set, we are in actuality doing what we call 3 mini sets rest paused....So we are hitting failure 3 times with each muscle......with the rest pause, when we hit failure 3 times with the rest pause, we feel we hit our muslce fibers pretty deep....

and when we go to failure, if you watch must videos online, the guys are'nt going past failure.......the set is over where they fail.....so they are not using a spotter to help them do like one forced rep after failure
    I'm not sure exaclty why strength gains alone would always equate to more size gains in low volume training and not for everyone? For instance some strength coaches.

I would still choose only 2 exercises as opposed to 3. It is too long before you hit the first exersice again. I don't think you can make the kind of progress most bodybuilders would want with a 3 way rotation. You said yourself that you made great gains using fewer exercises. It's because the body needs some repetitive motion . You cannot get as much out of an exercise with infrequency. Adaptation is what causes muscle growth!!
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 11-06-2007 at 09:41 AM.

deleted

deleted

deleted

Blog Entries

Wink

ya, and I believe that up to a point....its kind of like not writing anything for a week....when you pick up a pen a week later, you feel retarded..

but with weights, if the body never catches on to an exercise, and doesnt allow nueral adaption to go through the roof, I think its possible that this can be more conducive to mass gains.....so, if your not letting neural adaption occur, and you are making strength gains..........would'nt that mean this is muscle mass gains that are lifting more weight????

main point of post

so, if your not letting neural adaption occur, and you are making strength gains..........would'nt that mean this is muscle mass gains that are lifting more weight????
    I am not discounting at all that you can make gains that way or even that its a bad way to train. I just think it's best to use only 2 exercises with more frequency because progressive overload is a tried and true fact. Meaning you adapt to the exercises and increase work load capacity over time. Not to mention that as you log your training you can track progress.

Here's a good example how progress is made using the 3 day per week STS. Many of my trainees use the 15 degree decline bench press as their "key exercise". Come next chest training session they use the 15 degree incline press as a "secondary exercise". Due to the fact they keep going back to their key exercise (decline press) every other chest workout they find that they are ahead of where they left off and they begin making fresh progress.

Part of this progress is due to the fact that they are working different secondary and supportive muscles with the secondary exercise (incline presses) as they get stronger. They find that it helps their key exercise (decline press) thus making it possible to lift heavier and the cycle of growth begins a new. It's basic power-lifting fundamentals!

Blog Entries

Question

one more thing i wanted to add

I absolutely promise you, that dc rest pausing is more taxing than 2 straight sets to failure with 2 forced reps......Here is why i think so

ok, what i was doing before for shoulders for instance, was this, my workout

set 1- b.b. military press- 6 reps, help on 7 and 8
    set 2- d.b. military press- 8 reps with help on 9 and 10

now dc, last night for instance

chest- low incline smith- 8/4/3 15 reps rest paused
    delts- d.b. mil press- 8/3/1 12 reps rest paused

the main thing here, is that for dc, after chest rest pause, i had to go 1 set of dumbells lighter to get 8 reps, and it was a struggle.....where with my previous workout, after 1 set of b.b mil, i was able to go 1 set of db's heavier
    What you just described is another reason I am not a big fan of rest pause. Simply stated, you are doing 3 mini-sets in 1 long set but it's not the same as 3 straight sets performed with plenty of rest between sets.

Follow me closely here! Who do you think would make the most gains; a guy who performs dead-lifts with 4 sets of 10 reps using 400 lbs or a guy who does 1 triple drop set using 400 lbs, 350 lbs, 300 lbs and finally 270 lbs? The obvious answer is the guy who used more weight on all 4 sets for teh dead-lift. Why? Because straight sets allows you the power to lift a greater weight-load range.

With beyond failure techniques such as reat-pause and drop sets, you’re basically breaking down less muscle tissue yet annihilating the nervous system and joints. With each subsequent set you are using fewer reps with the same amount of weight. A rest-paused set done in the 8-12 rep range cannot possibly create the same kind of strength gains that are obtained by using a straight set for 4-6 reps simply because you cannot lift heavy when training near the point of non-stop.

How can low volume advocates get around this scenario?

Blog Entries

Wink

not to be confused with weider confusion principals........we are cycling and keeping track of strength doing each exercise once every 2 weeks... , so we are not using the principle of completely doing something different each and every time......
    I certainly understand and agree with DC Training that changing exercises in order to confuse the muscles and make them grow does not work as described.

Slingshot Training confuses the muscles by simply loading and de-loading with straight sets all while using the same 2 exercises over and over again.

deleted
    Last edited by IronReload04; 11-18-2007 at 08:27 PM.

Blog Entries

Question

a. the guy who does 4 sets with the largest amount of weight will absolutely make the most strength gains.........but thats not the argument........deadlifts are not rest paused with us, they get 2 straight sets, so for the sake of argument, lets use chest as an example, because i think i see what you are trying to get at, and for this argument, deads are not a good example...

1) Dead-lifts and squats are considered two of the best exercises for building over-all strength and size. I do not think DC will dispute this fact. And I realize the reason DC Training does not rest-pause these 2 exercises (dead-lifts and squats) is because it can cause injury to the back. If you think about it, this sides with my side of the argument in that rest-pause training is not user friendly. The way I see it, all compound movements should be treated the same. For instance, Slingshot Training takes into consideration that the shoulders are one of the most vulnerable joints in the body. More bodybuilders experience shoulder problems than other body part. Why not give over-head presses and chest presses 2 straight sets as welll since this area can be injured just as easily if not easier than the back? I feel this is a very good question!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information