MiZongMaster is offline Associate Member

4 day split vs bill starr's 5x5

I just had a couple questions for you guys.. About 2 years ago I started floating around these foums, and I picked up a split... something to the effect of:

mon: chest/tri
    wed: back/bi
    fri: shoulders
    sat: legs

And I have been doing that for sometime, as well as martial arts on tue/thur. Well I was looking to change up my routine a bit, and I came accross bill starr's 5x5 program. In his articles he basically says the split above is useless and wont provide me with very good gains in strength or size.. now, I did notice some good gains, but would I have gotten much better results from his 5x5?

fyi, I am going to try his 5x5 for the next couple months, but wanted to see if anyone had any experiences comparing the two..

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MiZongMaster View Post
    I just had a couple questions for you guys.. About 2 years ago I started floating around these foums, and I picked up a split... something to the effect of:

mon: chest/tri
    wed: back/bi
    fri: shoulders
    sat: legs

And I have been doing that for sometime, as well as martial arts on tue/thur. Well I was looking to change up my routine a bit, and I came accross bill starr's 5x5 program. In his articles he basically says the split above is useless and wont provide me with very good gains in strength or size.. now, I did notice some good gains, but would I have gotten much better results from his 5x5?

fyi, I am going to try his 5x5 for the next couple months, but wanted to see if anyone had any experiences comparing the two..

The 5x5 program is a very good basic simple progressive overload. It has been used world over with success. Key points-basic/simple/productive.

But, it's not a great body building program and it won't work well for power-lifters like Doc sust getting ready for a meet. It is a basic strength program. Many kids use it because such and such is on it and he got jacked. Now think of what we all thought was "jacked" back in high school? I thought 170 lbs was massive! Most of the youth I have met have a limited exposure. When you've been around the bodybuilding scene for as long as I have you tend to think more about how you look instead of how much you can bench press. The 5x5 is not the most effective routine for PL or BB but very effective for football, wrestling and so on.

I see no need in doing over 2 heavy low rep sets each week for gaining strength regardless of what you are trying to accomplish as a bodybuilder. Some very strong power-lifters only do 2 low reps sets each week as well.

For bodybuilding you'll make more size gains doing the bulk of your work in the 8-10 rep range!
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 11-21-2007 at 11:03 AM.

green22 is offline Senior Member
    Ive used it with great results when I was much younger. Its almost like you will outgrow it the more advanced you get. Plus when you get to a certain strength level 5 rep sets can take a tole on the joints. But for a new to intermidiate trainer it would be fine.

MiZongMaster is offline Associate Member
    Would it be good for someone like me, who has been working out for only 2-3 years steadily?

Thread Information