ItWASLuck is offline New Member

does no soreness mean no growth?

this is probably a dumb question in some of ur minds, but iv been working out for about 4 months now (natural) and the only muscles that ever get sore after workouts are my chest..the day after they will be sore. but not any other muscles group? does this mean im not working out hard enough...

Dagron is offline Junior Member
    It could possibly mean that, but not necessarily. Are you getting stronger? This should be your concern, not soreness. If you are pounding down the cals, slugging down a bunch of water, and sleeping 9+ hours your soreness will be minimal and that's a good thing.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    nope, your fine soreness doesnt always equal growth. Actually it could mean the opposite. If you are still getting sore the same way you were when you first started your exercise program. That is a major sign of overtraining. Now if you change your program a little, something different than your muscles are use to, you may get sore again. Just because its something that your muscles are not use to.

ItWASLuck is offline New Member
    thanks, that might be it iv had the same workout for a bit more then a month so ill change it up as i should of. im eatting healthy and drink tons of water a day( always have a bottle with me ) and sleep i get about... 8-9 hours a day. started out at 160lbs about 4 months ago, i am now hovering between 170-175 lbs. but yes i am stornger.

Dizz28 is offline I reject your reality and substitute my own
    soreness can also be caused by lactic acid build up. Also, the action of weight training causes small tears in the muscle tissue, causing growth, and also pain.....

Could be caused by either one, but soreness doesn't equal to the amount of muscle gain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizz28 View Post
    soreness can also be caused by lactic acid build up. Also, the action of weight training causes small tears in the muscle tissue, causing growth, and also pain.....

Could be caused by either one, but soreness doesn't equal to the amount of muscle gain
    Lactic acid doesnt build up in the muscle causing soreness. It is shuttled out of the muscle cells instantly and is converted to lactate by the sodium bicarbonate in the blood. The lactate is shuttled to the liver were it is processed back into pyruvate where it can then be used as an energy source.

Dizz28 is offline I reject your reality and substitute my own
    so then the soreness problem would lay on the minute tears associated with exercise.

Still muscle soreness wouldn't always = better growth

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizz28 View Post
    so then the soreness problem would lay on the minute tears associated with exercise.

Still muscle soreness wouldn't always = better growth
    You got it!

cockMOTHAeffinDIESEL is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    nope, your fine soreness doesnt always equal growth. Actually it could mean the opposite. If you are still getting sore the same way you were when you first started your exercise program. That is a major sign of overtraining. Now if you change your program a little, something different than your muscles are use to, you may get sore again. Just because its something that your muscles are not use to.
    absolutely...naturally after keeping the same excersize routine over a long period of time the human body is going to adjust to acomidate the newly added physical trauma, so it is possible that your body is just used to your routine, if its really bothering you then u should deffinently change it up and see what it does for you...i usually change up my routine every 3 weeks to keep the body guessing. the key to knowing if your building muscle is your stregnth level. if your getting stronger, then obviously you must be gaining some muscle mass.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    progress with text book perfect form means growth....

not being sore, means you might be working out like a candyass.....or your ego is getting the best of you, and your form is dogshit because you are trying to lift to heavy

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    soreness is not an indicator of growth also....

yungfaceb3 is offline Associate Member
    yeah soreness doesn't mean growth whatsoever. Progress is maain sign of growth and pump is a god indicator of how much your muscles are working as well.

Blooddraine is offline Associate Member
    well.. actually musclescience lactic acid build up is caused by inadequate oxygen levels... if you dont rest enough between sets the muscle wont be able to flush out all the lactic acid and therefore it will cause soreness... I am not disagreeing with you, but lactic acid does have a play in muscle soreness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blooddraine View Post
    well.. actually musclescience lactic acid build up is caused by inadequate oxygen levels... if you dont rest enough between sets the muscle wont be able to flush out all the lactic acid and therefore it will cause soreness... I am not disagreeing with you, but lactic acid does have a play in muscle soreness.

Soreness and exercise induced pain are two different things entirely. Lactic Acid at high levels in the cell impair thick and thin filament cross bridging, and cause the pH of the cell to be lowered. The cell has to remove lactic acid quickly or all chemical processes in that cell will be impaired. An over production of lactic acid is a function of the amount of motor units in a particular muscle that are activated. Where as energy demands can not be kept up with by oxidative metabolism. This is were you feel the burn when doing exercises like isometric squats for example. Oxygen plays no role in moving lactic acid out of the muscle cells. Lactic acid as it exists in the muscle freely moves out of the cell into the blood stream were it is converted to lactate which is a pH neutral compound thanks to the buffering action of sodium bicarbonate. The blood stream acts as a lactate reservoir until the lactate can be processed by the liver back to pyruvate and used in glycolysis. It has also been widely dispelled for many years now that build up of lactic acid in muscle tissue is not the mechanism for prolonged muscle soreness.

Blog Entries
    Let me be clear I am talking about DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), not the burn you feel when exercising which is caused by lactic acid.

physiology or kinesiology major?

Blog Entries
    physiology or kinesiology major?
    Human bio/physiology, Masters in exercise physio, Doctoral studies now.

Impressive.... good luck with that.

Blog Entries
    Impressive.... good luck with that.
    Thanks man, hope you didnt think I was calling you out or trying to be a smart ass, BTW

no man not at all its nice to have educated people on these forums.. i sent you a pm.. but i see you're on this thread so ill ask here.. if you dont mind answering where are you getting your doctorate

Thread Information