PrairieDawg is offline Senior Member

Suiting up for the first time in 7 years

So I'll be strapping on the pads and helmet for the first time in 7 years come this August for a charity alumni game for my high school team to raise money for grassroots football in my hometown.

The last time I played I was carted off the field in an ambulance after I completely fractured my tibula taking a chop block while blizting the quarterback (I played linebacker) when my cleat was planted in the ground. There was some grueling physio thereafter as it was a really bad break.

Been dying to suit up again as I felt I missed out on what could have been my best season and possibly a college playing career.

So I haven't been doing any cardio in the last 2-3 years since I haven't been playing sports (hardgainer, weight lifting keeps off the belly). I've been lifting 3-4 times a week for the last 2 years because of my job. Although I'm going to try to kick it back up to 5 if possible.

So here's my problem. What can I do to get into football shape? I need to improve my endurance dramatically. I'm going to be taking Maui Tai and Brazilian Jujitsu 3 times a week in a month or so. I figure that will help my endurance but I don't think that will be enough.

So what can I do? treadmill? wind sprints? I've never trained for endurance before, even in high school, I'm not sure how to go about it.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

CBigHBearB is offline New Member
    For me just keeping a constant pace running outside built my endurance but Sprint as hard as you can every 5mins. Not much of a workout but it does me good

Flamingo is offline New Member
    If you want to half ass it LSD (long slow distance) can be somewhat effective to a point but if you want to actually get in shape do sprints. I was a collegiate soccer player so I am versed on cardio/getting into shape. It sounds like you got some time to prepare which is good, but what we would to is things like 20/40's. You get 20 seconds to go the length of the field (football or soccer endline to endline) then 40 to come back. It sounds easy but do 10 in a row with a 60 sec break in between and you'll be hurting. The variations are numerous but something with sprinting and short rest periods will get you in the best shape the quickest.

Good luck

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Lift heavy weights, but light enough to have explosive form.
    Like within the 4-6 rep range, but "exploding" on your up motion. include clean and jerks, with of course, squats, deadlifts, and decline bench.
    But remember, form is the key thing in lifting weights.

As far as cardio work, running 240s are good. (sprinting goal post to goal post), then rest for 2-3 minutes, and go again. try doing 10 or so.
    Um, jumping rope is great cardio. i.e. try:
    jump rope 3 min
    pushups 1 min
    jump rope 3 min
    situps 1 min
    with no rest in between. do that little superset 3 or 4 times.
    u could get a running parachute, but they can be a hassle, id rather just tie a tire to a rope and sprint with it. doing various yard sprints, i.e. 20 yd, 40 yd, 60, 80, and 100yd.
    Also, the 4 mile track workout is great. Its something like:
    jog 1 mile
    sprint 1/4 mile
    jog 1/4 mile
    sprint 1/4 mile
    jog 1/4 mile
    sprint 1/8 mile
    jog 1/8..*repeat the 1/8 part till it = 1 mile
    then do 1/16 mile till it =1 mile

Thread Information