Thread: running outside

importeater91 is offline Member

running outside

im gonna be joining the marines and before i can go to boot camp i have to be able to run 3 miles in 26 min. the recruiter said to work on doing 1.5 miles in 13. so when i was running tonight i couldent run far. i felt like the coldness was sucking the oxygen right out of me. i guess my question is since it cold here in the notheast, should i sit outside for a little while for my body to get used to the temp? the local gym doest have a track and i hate running on the treadmills so my options are out side or travel to the other gym that has a track

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    trick your body
    before going outside, complete a vigorous 10-15minute warmup
    this will temporarily deplete the immune system chemicals that would otherwise react to the cold, dry air and produce the inflammation

what like push ups,sit ups, jog in place outside or something?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by importeater91 View Post
    what like push ups,sit ups, jog in place outside or something?
    like jump rope inside
    jumping jacks

just work up a nice warm sweat 10-15 minutes

SidewayZ is offline Associate Member

Wink

I was in the Corps! You need to be able to run 1/5 miles in 13 minutes 11.5 or 13 minutes ??? or they send you to the pork chop platoon! Very bad!

Anyways, BigSexy is right, you need to do some warmups first then run, also dress appopiately for the cold. I live in Jersey and also deal with running in the cold. I always run .5 mile first then stretch, then run 3 miles. It makes all the difference in the cold.

running is my only weakness but t doesnt take me long to build up my stamina to keep running longer and longer. ill try warming up inside first and see if that helps...wouldent that shock my body from being warm from warming up inside then going into the cold? could also affect it because i was wearing a longsleeve? its just that i sweat like a pig when i run but ill just wear a sweat shirt next time

Blog Entries
    Get this book and do the workout program:
    http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide...9817425&sr=1-3

Complete it just once, and the marie PTs will be a piece of cake, more so if you do it 2-3 times, but that can take a year or so. its a 3-4month program, and works wonders for muscle strength, endurance, and cardio stamina.

As far as going outside when being warm, you might feel an initial shock, but you will end up feeling more comfortable than just going outside cold turkey, or you should at least.

I do all my cardio work in Under Armor, just get some long sleeve cold gear under armor

im not sure when im going in prob 3-4 months so that would work out perfect....im gonna see if they have it at borders or barns and noble so i can get it faster....how longs shiping 7 days?

Blog Entries
    im not sure when im going in prob 3-4 months so that would work out perfect....im gonna see if they have it at borders or barns and noble so i can get it faster....how longs shiping 7 days?
    im not sure on shipping. it wouldnt be more than 7 days max though

the swimming in there is real tough. and Im not a great swimmer, so I would skip out on some of the swim things and do double bike. Id suggest doing the same if yr not a great swimmer, lol unless you feel like blacking out in a pool doing hypoxic swims

haha yeah im not bad on swimming but ill pass on it lol... yeah i dont feel like passing out...i saw a vid about the training to be a seal and they were doing the swimming under water and some of the guys were passing out..kinda scary

Blog Entries
    haha yeah im not bad on swimming but ill pass on it lol... yeah i dont feel like passing out...i saw a vid about the training to be a seal and they were doing the swimming under water and some of the guys were passing out..kinda scary
    lol its a pretty intense workout. it takes a good sum of dedication, but it felt so good at the same time

You wont be disappointed, if done properly

i might be leaving for bootcamp sooner than i expected..maybe around feb or march so it should help me out a little at least

Diablo10000 is offline Junior Member
    i graduated boot camp back during early oct.. u dnt PT as much as u think ur going 2...maybw 1-2 a week...and its not that bad...nothing like u think it is....fleet PT is alot harder but ull be rdy by then. how r ur pull-ups and crunches? Drill Instructors tend to like people who can do alot of pull-ups. (btw wut is ur MOS)
    Last edited by Diablo10000; 01-11-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: hit enter by accident

Thread Information