ectogainer is offline Junior Member

Ronnie . .could use your expertise

I've just entered the blast phase of the 3 day Slingshot training and I've run into some questions I can't seem to find the answer to. If you could please help me out:

1) I know that I'm supposed to cut protein down to 25% these 3 days and I'm doing it but it's killing me mentally. I am what you would call a true hardgainer (i think that word is tossed around too much) and I feel like I'm killing very very hard earned muscle by not downing my protein. No protein for breakfast? post-workout? Can you just give me the reasoning behind it to ease my mind?

2) Also, being a hardgainer I have had 1 hour workouts pounded in my head for years. These blast workouts are taking me a good bit over an hour and I'm worried about catabolism. Your thoughts?

3) Is there an off chance that you (or anybody) has links to explain unilateral preachers and unilateral cable rear raises? I think I have it right but want to be sure seeing as how I am using all of your exercises.

4) Barbell rows . . . under or overhand? Close grip pulldowns . . . under or overhand?

5) Do you think dips as my secondary tricep exercise would be too taxing due to its compound nature?

6) In these post workout carb drinks I used to consume about 80 grams of malto/dex carbs but you say a "small amount". Should I be doing 25, 50, 80, or more? Also, with the protein shakes pre-breakfast and post workout/pre-dinner should I be consuming more towards 25-30 grams or 50-60?

I know those are annoying little questions but I'm pretty anal about getting it right. Any help would be great! Everything else is crystal clear to me.

On a side note--I really appreciate all the time and knowledge you've devoted to this board and the re-vamp you've given my stale training. There has been a lot of drama recently but your help has been great and that's coming from a "behind the scenes" board member like myself . . . so who knows who else you've been helping. Also, Moush and TenMoney and Uber great logs! Thanks guys!

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ectogainer View Post
    I've just entered the blast phase of the 3 day Slingshot training and I've run into some questions I can't seem to find the answer to. If you could please help me out:

1) I know that I'm supposed to cut protein down to 25% these 3 days and I'm doing it but it's killing me mentally. I am what you would call a true hardgainer (i think that word is tossed around too much) and I feel like I'm killing very very hard earned muscle by not downing my protein. No protein for breakfast? post-workout? Can you just give me the reasoning behind it to ease my mind?

2) Also, being a hardgainer I have had 1 hour workouts pounded in my head for years. These blast workouts are taking me a good bit over an hour and I'm worried about catabolism. Your thoughts?

3) Is there an off chance that you (or anybody) has links to explain unilateral preachers and unilateral cable rear raises? I think I have it right but want to be sure seeing as how I am using all of your exercises.

4) Barbell rows . . . under or overhand? Close grip pulldowns . . . under or overhand?

5) Do you think dips as my secondary tricep exercise would be too taxing due to its compound nature?

6) In these post workout carb drinks I used to consume about 80 grams of malto/dex carbs but you say a "small amount". Should I be doing 25, 50, 80, or more? Also, with the protein shakes pre-breakfast and post workout/pre-dinner should I be consuming more towards 25-30 grams or 50-60?

I know those are annoying little questions but I'm pretty anal about getting it right. Any help would be great! Everything else is crystal clear to me.

On a side note--I really appreciate all the time and knowledge you've devoted to this board and the re-vamp you've given my stale training. There has been a lot of drama recently but your help has been great and that's coming from a "behind the scenes" board member like myself . . . so who knows who else you've been helping. Also, Moush and TenMoney and Uber great logs! Thanks guys!
    ectomorph, the reason I am here is because of cool guys like you! I see you live not far away from me.

1) The logic behind SLINGSHOT PROTEIN CYCLING is as you enter the mass phase (blast), you will drastically drop your protein intake for 3 days. Eastern block athletes often cycle their training with periods of low protein like this for 3-7 days. When normal amounts of protein are added back to the diet, greater protein synthesis is achieved, always followed by muscular development. You can not do it too often or the body will catch on and maintain homeostasis. Depleting protein the first 3 days upon entering the blasting phase works in a similar fashion as a 3 day carb loading wen entering a bodybuilding competition. Your trying to trick the body into holding onto more protein than usual.

2) The muscle fibers we are born with does not determine our recovery abilities. It's our activities outside the gym, our sleeping patterns and our nutrition that dictates how much training we can get by with before becoming over-trained. Everyone has weak points and strong points. This includes the genetically gifted. Unfortunately, we hard gainer have more weak points than genetic freaks. Genetic freaks do not train their lagging areas with less sets and neither should you if you want to reach your utmost genetic potential.

3) I'll have to look when I have the time. I am very busy with new clients at the gym, etc. It's that time of the year.

4) When performing Barbell rows you'll have to find which exercise (under hand vs overhand) works best for you. Go with palms facing one another when doing close grip.

5) Not as long as the dips do not create pain in the elbow and/or anterior deltoid.

6) There's really no limit on how many carbs one should ingest post workout. It all depends on your metabolism. On workout days eat more carbs for breakfast and post workout than the remaining meals. It will take some experiementing on your behalf. Healthy fats are going to be your best friend because they are calorie dense. 20-30 grams of protein before each meal is plenty unless you limit protein intake in the whole meal to come.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 01-22-2008 at 07:55 PM.

ectogainer is offline Junior Member
    Yep right on down the road! Got a college football team you root for around here?

Thanks for all the help Ronnie--back to crystal clear status. ONLY ONE MORE DAY OF NO PROTIEN THANK GOD! That has been so much harder than shedding saturated fat and hi-gi carbs for two weeks. I can't wait for a huge steak Thursday.

Thread Information