justaguyinadaze is offline Junior Member

forearms

i cant seem to really work mine hard although i do

barbell wrist curl
    reverse barbell curl

any other ideas?

are forearms hard to bulk up?

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    With some people it may boil down to genetics. Ive found that reverse barbell curls work great. I also use the ez curl bar reverse still like im doing a curl but with my palms facing down. I feel that it def. works the forearms great!

Armenian is offline New Member
    grab a set of really heavy dumbells, and hold them for 1-2 minutes. i start off with 90's, hold them for about a minute or 2 then continue down to 80, 70, 60 and 50. Watch the clock, and breathe. I guarantee this will demolish your forearms. I started noticing these insane bulges in my forearms here recently!

I believe curls are fun but more for a stretch.

Deadlifts always blow apart your forearms too.

Hope that helps!

FREAK is offline BLACK MARKET BUILT
    reverse wrist curls,reverse bb curls

PEWN is offline AR Addict
    Blog Entries
    jerking off... use both hands though...

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Armenian View Post
    grab a set of really heavy dumbells, and hold them for 1-2 minutes. i start off with 90's, hold them for about a minute or 2 then continue down to 80, 70, 60 and 50. Watch the clock, and breathe. I guarantee this will demolish your forearms. I started noticing these insane bulges in my forearms here recently!

Hope that helps!
    excellent advice! i think static holds built my forearms, especially deadlifts and lunges with dumbells.

jef
    jef is offline Member
    wrist curles supersetted with static holds burns mine the best

Ajc330 is offline Senior Member
    you really don't even have to target your forearms, you can work them by doing heavy shrugs without straps, heavy deadlifts without straps, weighted lunges... just don't use straps your forearms should grow automatically

rocket22 is offline Junior Member
    Deadlifts w/o straps. That is what I noticed put on some serious mass to my forearms. My actual forearm routine is basically what you are doing.

FREAK is offline BLACK MARKET BUILT
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajc330 View Post
    you really don't even have to target your forearms, you can work them by doing heavy shrugs without straps, heavy deadlifts without straps, weighted lunges... just don't use straps your forearms should grow automatically
    if you want them big you should work em

Bloodhound is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Armenian View Post

Hope that helps!
    This is exactly what i do.

Armenian is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblin freak View Post
    if you want them big you should work em
    hell yeah! forearm excersizes are a priority!! Not just forearms but I also like working the extensors and flexors with a gyro ball. And what muscle do people notice when you wear a tshirt!

SaSqUaDgE is offline Senior Member
    ive never really had to do forearm workouts everything else does it for me my forearms grow faster then my biceps kinda sad

TCEL300 is offline Member
    pull ups...holding the bar really helped my 4arms..see how long u can hang...hang from one arm...it worked for me

novastepp is offline Have You Picked a Fight Lately?
    deadlift.

CheddaNips is offline Senior Member
    I was born with small wrist syndrome (sucks). But static holds, farmers walks, reverse curls have all helped.

Also in the summer I worked for a landscaping company. Holding a 30lb hedge trimmer for hours shaping shrubbery will give you one hell of a workout

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Genetics, you just have to focus on them and work them harder than other muscles. Its a small muscle so you can probably get away with hitting them 2 or 3 times a week. Lots of genetics tho, i dont even do forearms and its one of the first things people notice on my body.

Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    Genetics, you just have to focus on them and work them harder than other muscles. Its a small muscle so you can probably get away with hitting them 2 or 3 times a week. Lots of genetics tho, i dont even do forearms and its one of the first things people notice on my body.
    god i hate people like you. Its badass when you are wearing a loose t-shirt and people see your forearms buldging out. I want it.

roodogg is offline Associate Member
    cut a broomstick or a wooden shovel handle, drill a hole in the center for a thin rope, tie a weight to the end of rope,while standing on a bench wrist curl the weight up and down until you cant curl anymore rest and repeat

BONE.CRUSHER is offline Banned
    apart from reverse curls and wrist curls, try doing close grip pull ups with a pronated grip

Baxter is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CheddaNips View Post
    I was born with small wrist syndrome (sucks). But static holds, farmers walks, reverse curls have all helped.

Also in the summer I worked for a landscaping company. Holding a 30lb hedge trimmer for hours shaping shrubbery will give you one hell of a workout

what do you consider small wrists. I dont understand. does wrist size determine how big your forearms can get.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me (talk slow, im stupid)
    also could people post there wrist and forearm measurements so i can compare. my wrist is 6.5 inches, do i have small wrist syndrome

lol samll wrist syndrome is something i heard on here a long time ago. I have skinny wrists, therefore i am genetically not inclined to have big forearms. But i just laugh when people cant get big big calves. My calves grow like weeds. It all boils down to genetics

TR'05 is offline Member
    Baxter,

Small wrists won't prevent you from gaining forearm size, although it might make it more difficult. Just as with any other muscle, one must select a program which will result in hypertrophy- forearms respond to high volume.

Small wrists might prevent you from becoming an elite level powerlifter but, with the right specialization program, anybody can achieve "better" forearms by using training techniques which work for them.

Forearm and grip work can also help lagging arms; not to mention improving lifts such as deadlifts.

Baxter is offline Junior Member
    thanks for the reply TR'05
    I'v been training about a year just to keep fit but now decided to put some pounds on. Im probably one of the lightest members here. i dont have any problem with my grip yet but if i want to progress to a higher level like you guys, then i might start thinking about my forearms now. At the moment there only 12" but im only a light weight anyway.

ralf_snake is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PEWN View Post
    jerking off... use both hands though...
    Srsly, i jerk of with right, and ive tried allot of routine training for my fore arms, but still my right forearm is bigger than my left........

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abbot138 View Post
    You're a lucky bastard alright lol... I've got a buddy I nick-named Popeye cause his forearms are seriously almost as big as his upper arms (they're probably 16 inches or more)... Pisses me off like no other... He doesn't work them at all and I have to bust my ass and mine still barely grow... They do have alot of vascularity too tem now though...

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    you wanna know what makes your forearms big? lifting heavy ass weight makes them big! i have never talked to anyone or heard anyone say they have small forearms bi or tri or traps unless they dont lift heavy weight, dont be mad, just keep it up and you will get there, if your not squating or deadlifting you wont ever get big i dont care what anyone says

RotorHead is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeyd View Post
    you wanna know what makes your forearms big? lifting heavy ass weight makes them big! i have never talked to anyone or heard anyone say they have small forearms bi or tri or traps unless they dont lift heavy weight, dont be mad, just keep it up and you will get there, if your not squating or deadlifting you wont ever get big i dont care what anyone says
    depends what u consider big... my buddys forearms are fukin huge. he weighs 140 and all he does is supersets... he does lighter weight with shit ton of reps...

I_Want_Abs is offline Senior Member
    Ive got very small wrists but my forearms are pretty damn big and are also commented on all the time (I love ego boosts).

I very rarely target forearms directly, occasionaly I will do 1 set of high rep reverse BB curls, but otherwise I find that they get worked very hard when training arms, and as they are used in almost every other excercise when gripping or stabilising they just seem to grow. I guess I am one of the lucky ones

Quote Originally Posted by I_Want_Abs View Post
    Ive got very small wrists but my forearms are pretty damn big and are also commented on all the time (I love ego boosts).

I very rarely target forearms directly, occasionaly I will do 1 set of high rep reverse BB curls, but otherwise I find that they get worked very hard when training arms, and as they are used in almost every other excercise when gripping or stabilising they just seem to grow. I guess I am one of the lucky ones
    can see in ur pic man ur forearms are huge in comparison to other muscles

PT
    PT is offline DUNAMIS ~ AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    alot of it is genetics. i have always had large forearms without working them. i do 8 sets now per week for them but even before i worked them i used to always get complicated on them
    source checks- 200 posts and 6 month membership min. entirely within my discretion
    PT is a fictional character and all posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    My forearms got a lot bigger by doing an exersize that I don't have a name for, lol. Take a long bar that is usually used for cabel exersizes. Hold it at the bottom and extend it back, side to side. That will blast your forearms. If you're really desperate, take a broomstick and to the same thing. Works really well.

Cam09 is offline Junior Member
    Use a SLedgehammer or leverage club and hold it out away from your body slightly angled up and lowwer the head down to your nose slowly and then bring back up to the starting position... i also love farmers carries without straps

_Dave_ is offline New Member
    I do 4 things - I use straps for most of my heavy, pull exercises so I need to make sure to focus on them or else - by using straps - they'll get neglected. I'd rather hit my lats (for example) harder by using straps, and not let the strength/weakness of my forearms determine how heavy I go.

1&2) BARBELL CURLS; Seated, forearms lying along thighs with a barbell BOTH underhand grip and overhand grip and curl. For the underhand let the bar roll alll the way down to your fingertips.

3) DUMBELL CURLS; Stand with heavy dumbells at your side, like you're going to curl them (you're not going to curl them - haha) and just 'curl' the weight up with your forearm, and let it roll down all the way to your finger tips. Make sure it's a weight you can hold with your finger tips - obviously or you'll have some busted toes.

4) BRICK STICK; The last is the brick-stick. Not what it's really called but bad ass for the forearms. See here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fgDf4-gat8

...I don't agree with the way he let's it 'slip' back down tho - I roll it back down the same way I roll it up.

Couple things I've always wanted to do is the Rice Bucket - an exercise pitchers use to strengthen the hang/wrist/forearm.

And here's one I've never seen before - not sure you'll be seeing me do it anytime soon though haha... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB-sbvXuEbY

Rugger02 is offline Anabolic Member
    Kinda ressurection a thread here but something that wasn't mentioned that I do when I'm not at the gym is when my wife is done with the Sunday newspaper I open it up and lay it flat. Grab the corner of the top page and little by little crinkle it into a ball, then squeeze the shit out of it to make it as tight as you can. Throw it in the garbage and repeat. Switch hands once you get to the funny pages lol.

Burns the hell out of your forearms.

flexasist is offline Junior Member
    i find when gripping a bar or db, it helps if u put your thumb under it with your fingers rather then around it.

i have 19" forarms and i only train them with barbel wrist curls, alot of grip work with a golds gym handgrip sponge and thumb under with most exersices.

Thread Information