Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

Wink Preventing nagging injuries with low volume/high rep training.

Think of your tendons as a cable on a winch. When the cable gets frayed from over-use the cable weakens. Two weeks of using only low sets/high reps will help repair the frays in the tendons from the heavy-higher volume lifting done during the 6 week mass phase. Those who neglect the 2 week prime eventually move backwards because of nagging injuries. It's comparable to those who neglect to repair the cable on their winches when they begin to fray. Remember, you cannot see tendon damage occuring or go buy a new set of tendons at the local Wamart like you can a cable for a winch when it goes bad! I cannot stress enough how important it is to perform a 2 week prime after 6 weeks of heavy-higher volume lifting.

crazyhorse1960 is offline Associate Member
    hey ronnie thank you bro,that was educational for me i did knw that. i will be putting that in account. i just started back after a yr off and all i been doing is working my way back up to where i was before.my first 3 to 4 weeks i been doing light money and high reps to get back in to things not to mention the muscle soreness that comes w/it .however, i will be switching back into going heavy soon and thats where my tendons will be taking most of it toll.thank you!..

Narkissos is offline AR-Hall of Famer ~Diet Guru~
    Blog Entries
    How can only two weeks reverse tendon damage Ron?

Tendon regeneration is slow is it not?

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by *Narkissos* View Post
    How can only two weeks reverse tendon damage Ron?

Tendon regeneration is slow is it not?
    Narkissos, I agree that tendon repair is slow. But, prevention techniques work relatively fast. Meaning reducing weight loads and volume for only 2 weeks before a 6 week mass phase can spell the difference between training pain free or having to deal with nagging injuries. The 2 week "Anabolic Prime" has more to do with prevention but inflammation can really improve in 2 short weeks.

High reps will help gather lactic acid (the burning sensation from high reps) into the area where tendons are attached. This stimulates both the tendons and joints to get stronger because lactic acid keys off the fibroblasts to signal for collagen synthesis to occur. The anabolic prime is not about gaining size or strengthening the muscles connected to the tendons/joints per se, rather it's about creating a burn in the area in order that collagen synthesis can be increased. Keeping the sets low with higher reps produces lactic acid while putting less wear and tear on the muscles/tendons/joints/cns preparing the body once again for a 6 week mass/strength gaining phase !

Note: The high rep "burn-out sets" done during the 6 week mass phase are a conditioning technique and are also a means to prevent tendonitis later on as you progress in size strength. They also increase functional strength and increase sarcoplasmic growth.

Thread Information