LawMan018 is offline Senior Member

Need Help With Leg Workout

Well I had been happy doing Leg Presses, Leg Extensions, Lunges, and Lying Leg Curls but recently my right knee got really aggravated and was hurting for like a week and I believe it was from the knee extensions so I'm going to have to drop that one out too (previously had squats in there)... What are some other really good leg exercises (just talking about upper) that I could add in here? Or do you think it wouldnt hurt my knee if I did light leg extensions with a lot of reps? Need opinions please...

Come on guys, 18 people and no responses... I know some of you leg guru's are out there!

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    you pretty much listed them all. if you cant do squats are are pretty limited.

what do you do for your hamstrings, just leg curls?

get your knee back in shape and get squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by Amorphic View Post
    you pretty much listed them all. if you cant do squats are are pretty limited.

what do you do for your hamstrings, just leg curls?

get your knee back in shape and get squatting.
    Hamstrings I do Lunges and then Leg Curls... I personally love lunges, favorite leg exercise....

Amorphic is offline Veritas, Aequitas ~
    Quote Originally Posted by LawMan018 View Post
    Hamstrings I do Lunges and then Leg Curls... I personally love lunges, favorite leg exercise....
    yeah ive been doing a lot of lunge work as well, they work really well.

rickrick55 is offline Associate Member
    Blog Entries
    what about straight leg deadlifts?

Quote Originally Posted by rickrick55 View Post
    what about straight leg deadlifts?
    Believe it or not my gym has a sign posted up saying no deadlifts... And there's no real mat to do deadlifts on... I used to do them from time to time at my old house before we moved but no longer... Yeh I know it sux...

legobricks is offline Retired AR Monitor
    Believe it or not my gym has a sign posted up saying no deadlifts... And there's no real mat to do deadlifts on... I used to do them from time to time at my old house before we moved but no longer... Yeh I know it sux...
    What are you fricken serious? No deadlifts? Where do you lift, curves? Not making fun of you, im making fun of the gym bro, that really is a stupid rule. But anyways, i was going to say deadlifts will really help out your legs, especially your hamstrings and glutes including a lower back. Have you tried front squats? I found that they are not as hard on my knees as regular squats. Do you bandage your knees? hmmm you could do lighter weight in squatting and not go fully down so there is not much knee stress. Front squats will kill your quads too.

Also you say you cant do leg extentions anymore which i can see cus that started to kill my knees as well. I totally changed the way i do the extentions and now i love them, plus i get HUGE pumps in the quads. While on the machine keep your butt off the seat so you can get the best stretch in your quads, next keep your feet angle out while touching the pad and when your bring your legs up for the full extention curl your feet inward as you come up MAKE SURE to keep your butt off the seat the whole time. If your not already doing this i found this to be a key in keep stress off my knees and maximizing the pump/burn in the exercise.
    Last edited by legobricks; 04-04-2008 at 01:06 PM.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member

Hold on, SLDL are differnt than Full deads from the floor. So, I bet you could do SLDL at your gym. Its not an "intimadating" exercise as there isnt any slamming of weight.

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    I found that when my kneesbegan to hurt it was because of leg extensions and not from squats. In fact, after I dropped leg extensions and focused solely on heavy deep squats my knees got a lot better. If you do start squating make sure you get some good knee wraps. It makes all the difference. Why is it that you can't squat?

helium3 is offline Senior Member
    i found sissy squats a little easier on the knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Blome View Post
    I found that when my kneesbegan to hurt it was because of leg extensions and not from squats. In fact, after I dropped leg extensions and focused solely on heavy deep squats my knees got a lot better. If you do start squating make sure you get some good knee wraps. It makes all the difference. Why is it that you can't squat?
    The main reason I stopped was because my back started hurting real bad, I must have injured it or something and wasn't able to do a lot of exercises for about 1.5 months until it finally got better. The week during this I decided not to do squats just in case, and did my current leg workout, however, with heavy leg extensions... I have been jogging lately and such but ever since that workout my right knee has been painful when doing a squatting motion so I have kind of stayed clear from it. I may try it again next time I go into the gym, and I'll definately be sure to pick up some knee wraps to see how they help. Thanks for the info guys...

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    The main reason I stopped was because my back started hurting real bad, I must have injured it or something and wasn't able to do a lot of exercises for about 1.5 months until it finally got better. The week during this I decided not to do squats just in case, and did my current leg workout, however, with heavy leg extensions... I have been jogging lately and such but ever since that workout my right knee has been painful when doing a squatting motion so I have kind of stayed clear from it. I may try it again next time I go into the gym, and I'll definately be sure to pick up some knee wraps to see how they help. Thanks for the info guys...

Dont buy knee wraps just yet, It sounds to me like you've got some muscular imbalances that you need to work on. Most of the time these imbalances are a result of poor flexability.

A couple of things i would do....

1. Have someone with good training knowledge watch your squat form with just a barbell. are your knees buckling inward during your heavier lifts? are your feet splayed outward excessevily? What about your hips/lower back, you should be breaking at the hips keeping the lower back slightly arched with you chest up before you break at the knees.

better yet do an overhead squat assesment (no wt, just hands overhead) and either have a knowledgeable trainer take a look or post a vid on youtube.

Knee wraps are not going to solve your problem.

jermazz is offline New Member
    first i would ice my knees for like 20 min after a leg workout before bed, your pain is most likely patella tendonitis, if you don't treat it you could end up like Victor Martinez. So i would try that and just going all around lighter and chasing a pump rather than trying to get high weights. Wraps may help but they will encourage you to keep doing what aggravated it to start, pain in a joint or tendon is you body telling you to lay off, not hide the pain. If you do squat, check your for and move slow. Consentrait on pushing off your heels not toes, and point you toes slightly out.
    Also stop the jogging, if its tendonitis or arthritis that impact is the absolute worst thing, bike or eliptical for cardio.

Thread Information