KidBlast is offline New Member

Cardio After Weight Lifting?

I'm sure this has been discussed or brought up in the past and tried using the search feature but couldn't find much. I am currently trying to gain muscle mass but also keep my bodyfat low, I do 30 minutes of medium intensity cardio on a bike after every workout....Is this going to drastically effect my muscle gains? Can I continue to do this and still expect to see good results or is this bad in the long run for gaining? I've read that cardio after a workout can stop muscle growth? Thanks in advance for any input.

matt50 is offline Associate Member
    cardio is always a good thing. esp to keep body fat down. i hate doing cardio so i do cardio first. if i don't do it first, i find myself not doing it at all.

ChuckLee is offline Scammer
    Be sure to have your whey shake before start the cardio.
    Anyway it works better in the AM at empty stomach

M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
    Why so he can burn those calories that he has just put in his body from the whey shake? I think he is better off waiting to after the cardio to eat or drink anything. After all, the whole jist behind cardio is to burn fat. Haven't tried am cardio but it makes since to me. To the op keep your weighted workout between 45 min to 1 hour and then do cardio for 20-30 min.
    Last edited by M302_Imola; 05-07-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling

KidBlast is offline New Member
    I know best time is in the AM but I don't have that option right now, also wouldnt i want the whey shake after my cardio or is that just for carbs?

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    chucklee is right, having the whey shake before cardio will help prevent muscle loss since after working out your body is low on glycogen and medium to high intensity cardio in this state can cause catabolism (breaking down of muscle for energy)

here is a good thread on when to do cardio and such

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...+empty+stomach

xavier_888888 is offline Senior Member
    you mean after workout drink whey shake then do cardio?

chopper9451 is offline Associate Member
    I have to do my cardio post workout. i hate bein soaking wet with sweat and worn out on the weights

Blog Entries
    I always believed that it was better to do cardio before, not only does it help you warm up, but also to burn off the glycogen. That way while your working out your burning straight fat and building muscle.

It does suck to w.o. all sweaty tho.

Best option in the morning on empty stomach.
    Last edited by hellomycognomen; 05-08-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    I always believed that it was better to do cardio before, not only does it help you warm up, but also to burn off the glycogen. That way while your working out your burning straight fat and building muscle.

It does suck to w.o. all sweaty tho.

Best option in the morning on empty stomach.
    the problem with this is that if you burn off the glycogen before you workout then your muscles will have nothing to burn and your workouts will suffer, btw, working out is an anaerobic activity meaning that it used glycogen (which is stored in your muscles). so your logic is off a little and the fat burning you get from working is caused by your bodies enhanced metabolism due to Central Nervous System stress during the workout along witha few other factors

Quote Originally Posted by phate186 View Post
    the problem with this is that if you burn off the glycogen before you workout then your muscles will have nothing to burn and your workouts will suffer, btw, working out is an anaerobic activity meaning that it used glycogen (which is stored in your muscles). so your logic is off a little and the fat burning you get from working is caused by your bodies enhanced metabolism due to Central Nervous System stress during the workout along witha few other factors
    agree...anaerobic meaning "without oxygen"

RANA is offline 100% American Beef
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xavier_888888 View Post
    you mean after workout drink whey shake then do cardio?
    Yes, that works great

My question is if you consume a whey shake after lifting and before cardio will your glycogen storage still be depleted so you can burn fat. Does the whey replenish glycogen at all? Would you advise the whey shake before cardio if you were cutting?

justingrewal21 is offline New Member

Exclamation

is it okay to do cardio for about 20 minutes before working out and then taking a serving of quick mass protein?

Quote Originally Posted by justingrewal21 View Post
    is it okay to do cardio for about 20 minutes before working out and then taking a serving of quick mass protein?
    Why would you want to do cardio before? You will see much greater results doing cardio post workout for 20 minutes. The key is to lift first while your glycogen level is high and then do cardio after, when your glycogen level has been depleted so the body will burn mostly fat.

wantmoremass is offline Associate Member
    post workout (then have your pwo nutrition) or morning - morning cardio rocks

Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    My question is if you consume a whey shake after lifting and before cardio will your glycogen storage still be depleted so you can burn fat. Does the whey replenish glycogen at all? Would you advise the whey shake before cardio if you were cutting?
    protein will not replenish glycogen stores as glycogen comes from carbs, though if your protein shakes has carbs in it then it will replenish your glycogen stores, the shake after cardio should have just protein to keep your muscles from going catabolic

i am cutting and take the shake before cardio as i want to lose as little muscle as possible

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    dont know why anyone would want to do cardio before weights, and burn up glycogen?

Why so he can burn those calories that he has just put in his body from the whey shake? I think he is better off waiting to after the cardio to eat or drink anything. After all, the whole jist behind cardio is to burn fat. Haven't tried am cardio but it makes since to me. To the op keep your weighted workout between 45 min to 1 hour and then do cardio for 20-30 min.
    Muscle fibers need aminoacids immediately after weight workout to recover properly.
    Cardio won't use them as a first source of energy, of course.

Btw, that why I said it's better done in the AM.

Muscle fibers need aminoacids immediately after weight workout to recover properly.
    Cardio won't use them as a first source of energy, of course.

Btw, that why I said it's better done in the AM.
    Chuck I normally lift for 45min-1hr, then do 20 minutes of moderate cardio. Then have two scoops of whey with some WMS. Do you think I will benefit from having one scoop of whey after lifting, pre-cardio and then have another scoop of whey with WMS after my cardio session? Will this help me retain more muscle mass and keep me more anti-catabolic? I am about to be cutting by the way.

Take more wheys after lifting - pre-cardio and just WMS and a little bit more wheys after cardio.

Maverick_J8 is offline Member
    When the muscle fibers have just been destroyed? The whey will go straight to the muscles. It is not going to be used as energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_J8 View Post
    When the muscle fibers have just been destroyed? The whey will go straight to the muscles. It is not going to be used as energy.
    gotcha

Take more wheys after lifting - pre-cardio and just WMS and a little bit more wheys after cardio.
    How does this sound? Lift then consume 2 scoops whey (48g protein), then cardio, then WMS and 1 scoop of casein protein?

gotcha
    Add a banana in there though, and you're absolutely spot on.

39+1 is offline Banned
    physiologically its better for you your heart and the cardiovascular system after you work out. meaning its not good to do cardio and then go get a muscle pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_J8 View Post
    Add a banana in there though, and you're absolutely spot on.
    Sounds good, yeah a carb with low GI like oats or a banana should top me off nicely.

Sounds good, yeah a carb with low GI like oats or a banana should top me off nicely.
    My fault. I meant add a banana in there, and you're spot on with your first reply. "It will simply be burned up".

Thread Information