Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    KidBlast is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    28

    Cardio After Weight Lifting?

    I'm sure this has been discussed or brought up in the past and tried using the search feature but couldn't find much. I am currently trying to gain muscle mass but also keep my bodyfat low, I do 30 minutes of medium intensity cardio on a bike after every workout....Is this going to drastically effect my muscle gains? Can I continue to do this and still expect to see good results or is this bad in the long run for gaining? I've read that cardio after a workout can stop muscle growth? Thanks in advance for any input.

  2. #2
    matt50's Avatar
    matt50 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    158
    cardio is always a good thing. esp to keep body fat down. i hate doing cardio so i do cardio first. if i don't do it first, i find myself not doing it at all.

  3. #3
    ChuckLee's Avatar
    ChuckLee is offline Scammer
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    My Guy's poophole
    Posts
    7,746
    Be sure to have your whey shake before start the cardio.
    Anyway it works better in the AM at empty stomach

  4. #4
    M302_Imola's Avatar
    M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Glass Case of Emotion
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
    Be sure to have your whey shake before start the cardio.
    Anyway it works better in the AM at empty stomach
    Why so he can burn those calories that he has just put in his body from the whey shake? I think he is better off waiting to after the cardio to eat or drink anything. After all, the whole jist behind cardio is to burn fat. Haven't tried am cardio but it makes since to me. To the op keep your weighted workout between 45 min to 1 hour and then do cardio for 20-30 min.
    Last edited by M302_Imola; 05-07-2008 at 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling

  5. #5
    KidBlast is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
    Be sure to have your whey shake before start the cardio.
    Anyway it works better in the AM at empty stomach
    I know best time is in the AM but I don't have that option right now, also wouldnt i want the whey shake after my cardio or is that just for carbs?

  6. #6
    Phate's Avatar
    Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    10,940
    chucklee is right, having the whey shake before cardio will help prevent muscle loss since after working out your body is low on glycogen and medium to high intensity cardio in this state can cause catabolism (breaking down of muscle for energy)

    here is a good thread on when to do cardio and such

    http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...+empty+stomach

  7. #7
    xavier_888888's Avatar
    xavier_888888 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,150
    you mean after workout drink whey shake then do cardio?

  8. #8
    chopper9451's Avatar
    chopper9451 is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Womens only section
    Posts
    458
    I have to do my cardio post workout. i hate bein soaking wet with sweat and worn out on the weights

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Cat Island
    Posts
    700
    Blog Entries
    6
    I always believed that it was better to do cardio before, not only does it help you warm up, but also to burn off the glycogen. That way while your working out your burning straight fat and building muscle.

    It does suck to w.o. all sweaty tho.

    Best option in the morning on empty stomach.
    Last edited by hellomycognomen; 05-08-2008 at 08:00 PM.

  10. #10
    Phate's Avatar
    Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    10,940
    Quote Originally Posted by hellomycognomen View Post
    I always believed that it was better to do cardio before, not only does it help you warm up, but also to burn off the glycogen. That way while your working out your burning straight fat and building muscle.

    It does suck to w.o. all sweaty tho.

    Best option in the morning on empty stomach.
    the problem with this is that if you burn off the glycogen before you workout then your muscles will have nothing to burn and your workouts will suffer, btw, working out is an anaerobic activity meaning that it used glycogen (which is stored in your muscles). so your logic is off a little and the fat burning you get from working is caused by your bodies enhanced metabolism due to Central Nervous System stress during the workout along witha few other factors

  11. #11
    M302_Imola's Avatar
    M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Glass Case of Emotion
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by phate186 View Post
    the problem with this is that if you burn off the glycogen before you workout then your muscles will have nothing to burn and your workouts will suffer, btw, working out is an anaerobic activity meaning that it used glycogen (which is stored in your muscles). so your logic is off a little and the fat burning you get from working is caused by your bodies enhanced metabolism due to Central Nervous System stress during the workout along witha few other factors
    agree...anaerobic meaning "without oxygen"

  12. #12
    RANA's Avatar
    RANA is offline 100% American Beef
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    DON'T ASK ME FOR A SOURCE
    Posts
    11,728
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by xavier_888888 View Post
    you mean after workout drink whey shake then do cardio?
    Yes, that works great

  13. #13
    M302_Imola's Avatar
    M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Glass Case of Emotion
    Posts
    3,721
    My question is if you consume a whey shake after lifting and before cardio will your glycogen storage still be depleted so you can burn fat. Does the whey replenish glycogen at all? Would you advise the whey shake before cardio if you were cutting?

  14. #14
    justingrewal21 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10

    Exclamation

    is it okay to do cardio for about 20 minutes before working out and then taking a serving of quick mass protein?

  15. #15
    M302_Imola's Avatar
    M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Glass Case of Emotion
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by justingrewal21 View Post
    is it okay to do cardio for about 20 minutes before working out and then taking a serving of quick mass protein?
    Why would you want to do cardio before? You will see much greater results doing cardio post workout for 20 minutes. The key is to lift first while your glycogen level is high and then do cardio after, when your glycogen level has been depleted so the body will burn mostly fat.

  16. #16
    wantmoremass's Avatar
    wantmoremass is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    387
    post workout (then have your pwo nutrition) or morning - morning cardio rocks

  17. #17
    Phate's Avatar
    Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    10,940
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    My question is if you consume a whey shake after lifting and before cardio will your glycogen storage still be depleted so you can burn fat. Does the whey replenish glycogen at all? Would you advise the whey shake before cardio if you were cutting?
    protein will not replenish glycogen stores as glycogen comes from carbs, though if your protein shakes has carbs in it then it will replenish your glycogen stores, the shake after cardio should have just protein to keep your muscles from going catabolic

    i am cutting and take the shake before cardio as i want to lose as little muscle as possible

  18. #18
    IronReload04's Avatar
    IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    everywhere and nowhere
    Posts
    5,622
    dont know why anyone would want to do cardio before weights, and burn up glycogen?

  19. #19
    ChuckLee's Avatar
    ChuckLee is offline Scammer
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    My Guy's poophole
    Posts
    7,746
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Why so he can burn those calories that he has just put in his body from the whey shake? I think he is better off waiting to after the cardio to eat or drink anything. After all, the whole jist behind cardio is to burn fat. Haven't tried am cardio but it makes since to me. To the op keep your weighted workout between 45 min to 1 hour and then do cardio for 20-30 min.
    Muscle fibers need aminoacids immediately after weight workout to recover properly.
    Cardio won't use them as a first source of energy, of course.

    Btw, that why I said it's better done in the AM.

  20. #20
    M302_Imola's Avatar
    M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Glass Case of Emotion
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
    Muscle fibers need aminoacids immediately after weight workout to recover properly.
    Cardio won't use them as a first source of energy, of course.

    Btw, that why I said it's better done in the AM.
    Chuck I normally lift for 45min-1hr, then do 20 minutes of moderate cardio. Then have two scoops of whey with some WMS. Do you think I will benefit from having one scoop of whey after lifting, pre-cardio and then have another scoop of whey with WMS after my cardio session? Will this help me retain more muscle mass and keep me more anti-catabolic? I am about to be cutting by the way.

  21. #21
    ChuckLee's Avatar
    ChuckLee is offline Scammer
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    My Guy's poophole
    Posts
    7,746
    Take more wheys after lifting - pre-cardio and just WMS and a little bit more wheys after cardio.

  22. #22
    Maverick_J8's Avatar
    Maverick_J8 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Why so he can burn those calories that he has just put in his body from the whey shake? I think he is better off waiting to after the cardio to eat or drink anything. After all, the whole jist behind cardio is to burn fat. Haven't tried am cardio but it makes since to me. To the op keep your weighted workout between 45 min to 1 hour and then do cardio for 20-30 min.
    When the muscle fibers have just been destroyed? The whey will go straight to the muscles. It is not going to be used as energy.

  23. #23
    M302_Imola's Avatar
    M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Glass Case of Emotion
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_J8 View Post
    When the muscle fibers have just been destroyed? The whey will go straight to the muscles. It is not going to be used as energy.
    gotcha

  24. #24
    M302_Imola's Avatar
    M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Glass Case of Emotion
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
    Take more wheys after lifting - pre-cardio and just WMS and a little bit more wheys after cardio.
    How does this sound? Lift then consume 2 scoops whey (48g protein), then cardio, then WMS and 1 scoop of casein protein?

  25. #25
    Maverick_J8's Avatar
    Maverick_J8 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    gotcha
    Add a banana in there though, and you're absolutely spot on.

  26. #26
    39+1 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
    Take more wheys after lifting - pre-cardio and just WMS and a little bit more wheys after cardio.
    physiologically its better for you your heart and the cardiovascular system after you work out. meaning its not good to do cardio and then go get a muscle pump.

  27. #27
    M302_Imola's Avatar
    M302_Imola is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Glass Case of Emotion
    Posts
    3,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_J8 View Post
    Add a banana in there though, and you're absolutely spot on.
    Sounds good, yeah a carb with low GI like oats or a banana should top me off nicely.

  28. #28
    Maverick_J8's Avatar
    Maverick_J8 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by M302_Imola View Post
    Sounds good, yeah a carb with low GI like oats or a banana should top me off nicely.
    My fault. I meant add a banana in there, and you're spot on with your first reply. "It will simply be burned up".

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •