Gators is offline Banned

workout for 43 yo w/ home gym?

I'm 43 yo, 5'8" 177, 17.5% bf. I'm self employed in the Ag sector, so i leave early and sometimes home late, often worn out during the hot months. I'm trying to figure out a 'program' to build lean muscle and get my BF% down to about 12-14%, i have no aspirations about bodybuilding or getting huge, just wanna look good and be healthy. I have a decent knowledge of diet, so i think i'm pretty good on that part, when i make myself eat properly. I don't care for going to gyms, too much social crap, and i'm not one for small talk. Oh, and 5 surgeries on right knee (2 acls and 3 scopes), missing alot of meniscus.

I have the following equipment: Bench w/ about 300# of plates, lat pull down, asst of dumbells, curl bar, Bowflex (wifes), and stationary bike.

I know i'm asking alot, and i did search quite a bit, but i'm still somewhat confused. In the past i've followed Bill Phillips HIT program (body for life), and got decent results, but for some reason i think there's something better.

Looking for a weekly schedule, if you like cigars, i'd be glad to hook you up for helping me out w/ this, i have quite a stash (prolly 1200 in my humidors).

thanks

RANA is offline 100% American Beef
    Blog Entries
    If you don't care about building mass/gaining size you should look at putting in a pull-up bar and dip bar in your basement (oops FL does not have them) or in your garage. There are numerous workouts you can do that will harden you up. Numerous types of pull-ups (wide, close, curl-ups), push-ups (dive bombers, diamond etc...) Just my .2 cents

Gators is offline Banned
    i have a 1900ft basement, i almost mentioned i would like to have a pull up bar. Thanks Rana

ArronS is offline New Member
    You have been warned and will be banned if it continues.... *admin*

Gators is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ArronS View Post
    43 years old? shouldnt you be dying about now?
    Ha, getting closer every day Brah. Wisdom is something i hear happens to us old farts, waiting on that...

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    43 is not old at all if you keep in shape

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gators View Post
    I'm 43 yo, 5'8" 177, 17.5% bf. I'm self employed in the Ag sector, so i leave early and sometimes home late, often worn out during the hot months. I'm trying to figure out a 'program' to build lean muscle and get my BF% down to about 12-14%, i have no aspirations about bodybuilding or getting huge, just wanna look good and be healthy. I have a decent knowledge of diet, so i think i'm pretty good on that part, when i make myself eat properly. I don't care for going to gyms, too much social crap, and i'm not one for small talk. Oh, and 5 surgeries on right knee (2 acls and 3 scopes), missing alot of meniscus.

I have the following equipment: Bench w/ about 300# of plates, lat pull down, asst of dumbells, curl bar, Bowflex (wifes), and stationary bike.

I know i'm asking alot, and i did search quite a bit, but i'm still somewhat confused. In the past i've followed Bill Phillips HIT program (body for life), and got decent results, but for some reason i think there's something better.

Looking for a weekly schedule, if you like cigars, i'd be glad to hook you up for helping me out w/ this, i have quite a stash (prolly 1200 in my humidors).

thanks
    Gators, i'd like to help you out some. I am definately not an expert....What kind of regime would you like to start? Would you consider lots of cardio? How often would you like to train and how long? that is an important question. You could do the ol' full body every other day with cardio in between.... you can do routines with cardio same day as weights.... but really amounts and startw with how much time you want to commit?

Gators is offline Banned
    i can do an hour a day, every day, and i love me some cardio, but the knee holds me back on certain levels of intensity. I do burn some cals during the day, this time of year i'm on my feet 10+ hrs a day working in the nursery, dam hot out there...

thanks Rockinred

Gators,

There are so many workouts that can work you might have to experiment a little. since you know body for life, I will try a different angle... at over 40 we start to lose muscle so you might have to work a little harder to get it going clean without aas.... anyhow, give something like this a try... It works for me and is not as demanding as trying to get a full body workout in one day = burnout for me... aslo, this is assuming you have diet in check.

day1- arms(bi's/tri's) = cardio 1/2 hr on bike.
    day2 - legs = no cardio if you work them good enough
    day3 - rest = cardio if you want
    day4 - shoulders/abs = cardio
    day5 - back= cardio if you want
    day6 - chest = cardio if you want
    day7 - rest = cardio if you want

When working the one body part a week you have to hit it a little heavy to ensure it is worthwhile. I also change up the days and sometimes do each part mon-fri and take weekends off with just cardio on one day or play with it a little. I work out pretty hard tho.

Cardio I just incorporate 2days - 5days de pending on my goals for weight loss or growth... I will admit that I feel best when cardio 5 days, but after an extended period I start to burn out... Most recommend at least 1-2 days total rest a week. so keep that in mind..

Also, as was pointed out earlier in thread that you can stick to a lot of exercises such as push ups, sit ups, pull ups, dips, and calisthenics... being a little older those won't put mass on you though... they will give you good shape and good feeling with a lot of cardio...

Also check out the over 40 forum.... I am gonna be 34 so I can't go in there for a few more years...lol

Gators is offline Banned
    based on what i listed i have, can you expand on some of the 'sets'? I am weakest in the chest, shoulders and arms are decent due to me being in the Ag industry my whole life, lots of physical work over the years. Also, can you expand on some workouts for my legs, i'm limited due to my knee. Oh, and i just started a anavar cycle, maybe it wasn't the best time, but i did it anyway.

One more thing. If i do cardio 5 days a week (low intensity for 45min to hr) what caloric intake would you recommend, i want to put on some lean muscle, do not wanna get really 'big'.

'preciate it

RANA is offline 100% American Beef
    Blog Entries
    based on what i listed i have, can you expand on some of the 'sets'? I am weakest in the chest, shoulders and arms are decent due to me being in the Ag industry my whole life, lots of physical work over the years. Also, can you expand on some workouts for my legs, i'm limited due to my knee. Oh, and i just started a anavar cycle, maybe it wasn't the best time, but i did it anyway.

One more thing. If i do cardio 5 days a week (low intensity for 45min to hr) what caloric intake would you recommend, i want to put on some lean muscle, do not wanna get really 'big'.

'preciate it
    Why would you do anavar and not lift weights. What about PCT? How much and long are you going to take anavar?

Gators is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RANA View Post
    Why would you do anavar and not lift weights. What about PCT? How much and long are you going to take anavar?
    I ordered the var then tore a muscle in my chest, so i decided to start the var to hopefully help my muscle tear heal, and it did heal pretty quickly (tear in muscle between ribs), not sure if the var sped it up. Doing 40 / day for 8 weeks, and planned clomid for PCT. Will start back lifting tomorrow.

'preciate it

Gators, for sets it is my recommendation to do trial. I can tell you what I do and another will say it is overtraining or someone might even think I could do more to maximize.... also, it dep ends on what you are trying to accomplish.... I guess it is safe to say that you should try 4 sets for your core for that day and then do 3 sets after that for as many different exercises... but you really have to adjust this with what you want to do and your time.

my example of chest would be

Chest
    warm up - push ups or machine
    flat bb- 4 sets of 8-12 reps
    incline db - 3 sets 8-12 reps
    decline db/bb- 3 sets 8-12
    cables - 3 sets 8-12 reps

when stregnth training I do way more sets and way lower reps.. probably like 2 sets 8-12, then go to about 3-5 sets of 3-6rep range for a heavy weight, then burn out with 1 last set of 8-12 reps.. then go on to incline db or whatever and stick with higher reps or lower reps, but stay at 3 sets for the rest of my variations.

as far as building your shoulders/chest - i do a lot of pressing with free weights not machines... with limited weight set I would stay focused on benching, military press, bb upright rows, bentover rows, squats, deadlift and those type of things....

for legs I don't know what your limitations are, my baseline is built off of squats, then I leg press etc... you really need to figure this one out because of your injury... you can do squats, lunges, stairs, and any other you know about... but I don't know any specifics for a bum knee that can't bend.

On cardio, you have it right on the low intensity unless you don't care about muscle loss.... caloric intake would be to get your target caloric intake from the harris benedict chart and then start cutting your calories at say 200-500 underneath your targeted maintainenance for starters... and tweak this as you go. example..Harris chart says you need 3200 cals, then consume 3000 or little less and you will start to lose weight... everyone varies and it is not a fool proof chart... the more you drop on calories the more quickly you lose, but also more muscle you lose too.... everything starts coming off.

A lot of what I said is real basic and general... really it will dep end on you and your dedication to lifting and your diet that will make the biggest difference.... What i said on the lifting routine really needs to be modified and tailored to your specifics that are based on your limitations of time and goals... what I said is really just to get you thinking and once you start going you will progress and adjust as needed..

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries

thanks

If your goals are to look good and be healthy, I would highly, and I mean highly lol, recommend Stew Smith's "The Complete Guide to Navy Seal Fitness"

Even without a pool, you can just double up on the bike, thats what I do, (not a great swimmer)

Its a 4 month program, and it is hard, but pays off big in the end.

Aside from the book, I would also recommend a pull up bar and dip bar

And ......something just came up. gotta go. i will be back in a bit to finish it up...sry bout that

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Push Ups (regular, wide, and diamond)
    Pull Ups (regular, wide, tricep, and mountain climbers)
    Sit ups, crunches, left/right crunches, reverse crunches, leg levers, flutter kicks
    dive bombers, dips, 8 count body builders
    squats, lunges, calf raises.

so many options, its up 2 you.

hope this helps

Gators is offline Banned
    So how about this:

Day 1 - chest - 5 different exercises, 5 sets of 8-12 reps, cadrio
    Day 2 - Cardio - (45min-1hr walk)
    day 3 - Legs - (quads)3 different excercises 5 sets of sets of 8-12 reps, same for calves and hams
    Day 4 - cardio
    day 5 - shoulders / back: 3 different exercises of 5 sets, 8-12 reps for each. Cardio
    day 6 - cardio
    day 7 - rest

Thread Information