HitOrMiss is offline New Member

What could replace side lateral raises?

My shoulder workout consists of military press, side lateral raises, and rear raises. The problem is that I feel like something is rubbing together or there is a popping sound in my shoulder joints. Ive tried it w/o weight on my adjustables dummbells just to try to figure out what the problem is and still feel a pretty bad discomfort. So Im thinking of just replaceing side raises, but haven't been able to find another exercise just as good for the side delt. I was hopeing u guys could help me out.

Dicknang is offline Associate Member
    Have you tried adjusting your hand position for the side lat raises? My shoulder grinds painfully when i do side raises with my palms facing backwards, but I'm fine when I do the side raises with palms facing inwards. It's a small adjustment but it made a lot of difference to me.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Wide grip up-right rows using a cable!

It almost sounds like you are trying to use too much weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicknang View Post
    Have you tried adjusting your hand position for the side lat raises? My shoulder grinds painfully when i do side raises with my palms facing backwards, but I'm fine when I do the side raises with palms facing inwards. It's a small adjustment but it made a lot of difference to me.
    No havent tried different hand positions i just been trying it with elbows bent,straight, with my arms going a little more foreward, or backward, but havent been able to find a comforatble position. Ill give ur recommendation a try on my next shoulder day and see wuts up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    Wide grip up-right rows using a cable!

It almost sounds like you are trying to use too much weight.
    well i workout at home and dont have cables but i can easily use a barbell instead and Im not useing too much weight because my shoulder still makes a popping sound w/o weight. Ill give dicknang's advice a try first and if Im still not happy Ill jump on the upright rows. Thanks dicknang and ronnie for your recommendations.

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    If you're trying to BUILD deltoids, and not just create definition, scrap lateral raises all-together. Stick with clean and press, and the military press (which you are already doing), these will build the most mass in your shoulders. They have worked WONDERS for me.

Maverick_J8 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish&Andy View Post
    If you're trying to BUILD deltoids, and not just create definition, scrap lateral raises all-together. Stick with clean and press, and the military press (which you are already doing), these will build the most mass in your shoulders. They have worked WONDERS for me.
    Disagree.

You need to target all three heads to develop the look of big shoulders. Even if its just a set on each. Laterals don't just produce definition. They produce mass and width.

Having said that, the base of the workout should be the mass exercises mentioned.
    Last edited by Maverick_J8; 05-31-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    One of the biggest mistakes being made by some bodybuilders is thinking isolation exercises like flyes and lateral raises are for definition/sculpting and pressing movements are for mass.

Definition comes from diet and cardio. Isolation movements are for building additional muscle mass!

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick_J8 View Post
    Disagree.

You need to target all three heads to develop the look of big shoulders. Even if its just a set on each. Laterals don't just produce definition. They produce mass and width.

Having said that, the base of the workout should be the mass exercises mentioned.
    The clean and press and military press work all three heads of the shoulder, thus "developing the look of big shoulders". So in that case, we'll agree to disagree.

Maverick_J8 is offline Member
    The clean and press and military press work all three heads of the shoulder, thus "developing the look of big shoulders".
    Correct. But imagine what results would produce if you incoperated side laterals.

So in that case, we'll agree to disagree.
    Agree.

well I tried them again but the pain was still there and this time it carried over to my other exercises and affected the rest of my workout. Normally I do 3-4 sets of side laterals but I think Im gonna have to drop em. In its place I plan to add 2 sets of clean and press and 2 sets of upright rows and see how that goes. Thanks guys for the advice.

Thread Information