jthepitlover is offline New Member

8- 10 reps for size? what's your opinion

Hey guys. What do you think is better for putting on size.

I used to do 3 sets per exercise. first set- 10 reps. Second set- 8 reps. Third set - 3-6 reps. I would use weight where I would hit failure at the desired rep.
    and I would do 4 exercises per body part
    I've been hearing that this method is better for strength not size so now I'm trying the following

4 sets- 8-10 reps per set at weight where I hit failure at 8-10 reps
    3-4 exercises per body part.

Doesn't the best hypertrophy occur within 8-12 reps?

MTre is offline New Member
    I'm in grad school for exercise physiology and that is what the research showed in my applied strength and conditioning class. The range they gave us was 8-12 reps.

im83931 is offline Senior Member
    I dont go to failure. I lift 8-10 reps but go until my form cannot be maintained.
    I usually do 5-6 sets of 8-10 for compounds and 3-4 sets for isolation.
    I know some will disagree but this is what my body responds to.

thanks guys!

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm a heavyweight powerlifter/strongman. 6-8 reps very heavy works for us.

hey Bg,
    now that's for building strength rather then size, correct?

BgMc31 is offline Anabolic Member
    No, not necessarily. Most strength use the 1-3 rep range (very heavy) for strength. We use the 6-8 rep range for muscle mass building. If you look at many powerlifters and strongmen (the ones that have a leaner look) they have extreme amounts of musculature and muscle size and most use that 6-8 range, mainly on assistance lifts.

ok, thanks for the info.

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    In my experience, the heavier the better and 6-8 reps is good. I prefer 6 reps on the compound exercises. atm im not to interested in size. i stick in the 10 rep or more range.

Hemothorax is offline New Member
    everyone is different but i found that 10-15 reps i grow the most but my strength stays the same so i switch between low and high rep days.

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Do like I do and do both,

For your first exercise which is usually your "bread and butter" exercise like a squat dead flat bench military etc. try something more powerlifting based like 5x5 or do triples even.

then for everything else go a little lighter in the 8-12 rep range and end your workout with a light weight exercise and do something like drop sets to finish with a good pump.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MTre View Post
    I'm in grad school for exercise physiology and that is what the research showed in my applied strength and conditioning class. The range they gave us was 8-12 reps.
    Thats what I was taught in grad school, but there is a lot of research that is coming out or has came out very recently that is challenging current thinking.

IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"
    Quote Originally Posted by jthepitlover View Post
    hey Bg,
    now that's for building strength rather then size, correct?
    well, ask yourself, if you get stronger, will that not lead to size gains?

answer- if your answer is no, food intake is to low.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04 View Post
    If i am follow you correctly then not necessarily.

Powerlifters get strong as sh!t but don't always grow like bodybuilders.

zygleth is offline Junior Member
    Good advice above. Every body responds diferently so experimentation will be necessary. Part of muscle growth is also muscle confusion hitting slow and fast twitch muscle fibers. You will find what works for you but don't be afraid to throw in a high rep week or low rep week. Powerlifting regiments are good because they usually follow a plan for a one rep max. Ask some of the big dudes at your gym what they do and go from there. Having a plan is important as you can measure your progress. Good luck.
    One more thing - a key to growth is intensity, whether that be one rep or 20. IMO you have to be intense to grow.

B.E.N. is offline Member

A student of doggcrapp training methods...ha.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    If i am follow you correctly then not necessarily.

Powerlifters get strong as sh!t but don't always grow like bodybuilders.
    That is why he followed up saying, 'if your answer is no, food intake is to low.'

If not then you need to up the caloric intake, correct Iron?

g0dsend is offline Member
    I usually do 3 sets of 12,10,8 for small muscles, and 3 sets 10,6,8 for bigger muscles. It works for me and it seems to be the best workout routine for my body.

BoriPecs is offline New Member
    I do 4 sets 12,12,12, failure, adding 10 to 20 pounds depending how I'm lifting with 30-60 sec rest,So far I can say it has giving me size , and some sort of muscular definition, when it comes to strength I don't max that often so I really don't know how much more I can lift. I can say this my friend can lift like an animal not much muscle definition but good strength hes sets are like 12-10-8-6, starting with 205 finishing with 325. I'm no expert but maybe sharing this experiences can help you out.

jsinur7 is offline Member

not neccessarily... i get stronger and stronger but dont get bigger... but that is my mission of course being an MMA fighter... so my main goal is strength and stamina at as high a weight as i can... i dont move up in weight till i can push each set at least 30 times at a very fast pace... once thats achieved i add weight... i stay small without addin punds but get stronger and stronger... it takes a bit longer, but if i go to max out i can push the same weight as guys way bigger then me, but thats cause they built for size... we all have our own goals, thats just what mine are and how i achieve them

bhamstaff is offline Associate Member
    3-8 reps for mass. 8-12 to condition. differance between powerlifter/strongman/bodybuilders is nutrition. many powerlifters want to be as strong as possible at a set weight! they do not want to be heavier, whereas a strongman wants to be as big as possible not worrying about bodyfat ratios too much. bodybuilders want to be muscular as possible with low bodyfat.
    its all about nutrition
    dominic filou a strongman for example went on a diet and look how big he is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8- 10 reps for size? what's your opinion-csm05.jpg   8- 10 reps for size? what's your opinion-dom.jpg  

bhamstaff is offline Associate Member

Quote Originally Posted by bhamstaff View Post
    3-8 reps for mass. 8-12 to condition. differance between powerlifter/strongman/bodybuilders is nutrition. many powerlifters want to be as strong as possible at a set weight! they do not want to be heavier, whereas a strongman wants to be as big as possible not worrying about bodyfat ratios too much. bodybuilders want to be muscular as possible with low bodyfat.
    its all about nutrition
    dominic filou a strongman for example went on a diet and look how big he is
    Damn... Diesel Bro...

jackjackson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    In my experience, the heavier the better and 6-8 reps is good. I prefer 6 reps on the compound exercises. atm im not to interested in size. i stick in the 10 rep or more range.
    I also stick with 6-8 when Im bulking.
    3-4 Sets with 2-3 minutes rests in between and of course more compound movements at this stage.

Wow! thanks allot everyone. there is a lot of good info here.
    What I've been doing for the past 3 weeks seems to be working well. Although, it's only been 3 weeks but I already notice a difference.

4 exercises per body part. 4 sets per exercise and like MFT81 said, I do the "bread and butter" exercise ie. bench press first and go for power the rest i stick within the 8- 10 rep.
    then i do a drop set on the last exercise.
    this way I cover as many aspects of training as possible (power, endurance, strength) with a focus on hypertrophy.

bodybuilder1107 is offline Senior Member
    i do 8 reps but sometime push out 9 or 10 just to jack it up a cool trick i learned from a seminar with jay cutler him self was after doing a set flex and hold that muscle and count to 10 or 15 i do this after every set and it gives a great pump fast

yannick35 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsinur7 View Post
    not neccessarily... i get stronger and stronger but dont get bigger... but that is my mission of course being an MMA fighter... so my main goal is strength and stamina at as high a weight as i can... i dont move up in weight till i can push each set at least 30 times at a very fast pace... once thats achieved i add weight... i stay small without addin punds but get stronger and stronger... it takes a bit longer, but if i go to max out i can push the same weight as guys way bigger then me, but thats cause they built for size... we all have our own goals, thats just what mine are and how i achieve them

Ho God please dont compare MMA training with bodybuilding, i am with you on this, its really note the same, the main goal in MMA is to get stronger while not putting on too much muscles and building up your cardio.

I compare an MMA fighter or trainer to a super human, i never competed in MMA but train for 6 months about 2 years ago, i had to move due to job issues.

I was in the best shape of my life and i was 34 years old then. Trained 4 times per week.

We did have some weight training routines but they where more of giant sets 4 exercies done in a cycle and has everything else in MMA it was tough has hell to do.

Has to answer the question well i feel that i do get the best weight training workouts keeping my reps in the 8-10 range.

For me 6 reps has never been enough and usually if i get pass 12 reps its not good.

Quote Originally Posted by yannick35 View Post
    Ho God please dont compare MMA training with bodybuilding, i am with you on this, its really note the same, the main goal in MMA is to get stronger while not putting on too much muscles and building up your cardio.

I compare an MMA fighter or trainer to a super human, i never competed in MMA but train for 6 months about 2 years ago, i had to move due to job issues.

I was in the best shape of my life and i was 34 years old then. Trained 4 times per week.

We did have some weight training routines but they where more of giant sets 4 exercies done in a cycle and has everything else in MMA it was tough has hell to do.

Has to answer the question well i feel that i do get the best weight training workouts keeping my reps in the 8-10 range.

For me 6 reps has never been enough and usually if i get pass 12 reps its not good.
    Agreed...

Stoneco|d is offline Associate Member
    I recently switched to 12 10 6 6 10. First is just warmup, so sometimes I'd go 15-20 ... just to get my blood flowing ... very light. I keep changing my routine every month and so far this has been awesome. Before that I was on a 5x5 routine which was really good for strength. I don't like going for 12 reps each set, I don't see the point in going that high. 8-10 is the most I'd go for reps.

ralph9983 is offline New Member
    8 to 12 reps 30-60 secs rest between no more no less... helps stimulate ur hormones better ummmmand i think its 65 to 75% of 1rm( might be off on the percent a bit ) but its in that area and eat big and clean and ull grow =)

Thread Information