FreeDOOM is offline Associate Member

Squats make me light headed

I have been lifting for a couple years never intensely until recently. My legs are lagging because i have only ever sparadicaly trained them. I have just started my weak point training for the quads hams and calves. My question is this does any one ever feel light headed "like the stood up off the couch to quick" when doing squats. I am talking about sucking wind and feeling dizzy. I am doing 6 to 8 rep 1 warm up and 5 full sets. I am breathing good, not holding my breath.
    Has anyone passed out doing squats or puked because they worked so hard?

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I get that almost everytime (not puking or passing out)... I also see stars sparkling around when i go real heavy... Keep it up... you will gain for sure...

for squats.

MR_T is offline Member
    haha that just means your doing it right, I warm up and do two 20 rep sets and im ready for a nap.. big fan of squats

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    I've puked before.

It was awesome

mike954 is offline Member
    i get alittle dizzy too i think it the norm but keep then up all around great thing to do

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    I've never puked myself, but I'm always nauseated from working legs.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    You can get this when really pushing yourself but make sure you are breathing properly. Holding your breath for too long then letting it out really fast will cause this all the time and is very dangerous when squatting. Take a breath each rep.

Johny-too-small is offline Vive Memor Leti
    Yes! BREATH!

AcePowerZ is offline Member
    you are straining....Then you get filled with oxygen.... then comes the dizzy woah. Try lifting lighter and more reps. Be Safe.

SmittyTheOX is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeDOOM View Post
    I have been lifting for a couple years never intensely until recently. My legs are lagging because i have only ever sparadicaly trained them. I have just started my weak point training for the quads hams and calves. My question is this does any one ever feel light headed "like the stood up off the couch to quick" when doing squats. I am talking about sucking wind and feeling dizzy. I am doing 6 to 8 rep 1 warm up and 5 full sets. I am breathing good, not holding my breath.
    Has anyone passed out doing squats or puked because they worked so hard?
    Just be sure that your bar placement isnt cutting off the blood supply to your brain, ie make sure the bar is not resting on your neck.

Apart from that, SQUAT AWAY!!!

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Breath, keep most sets between 8-10 reps, not high reps (12-20 reps) and wait longer between each work set. Given you are not over-training or using beyond failure training techniques this should help.

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    reason you are getting light headed is when u stop abruptly all the blood is pooled in your legs and doesnt have sufficent time to get to your brain it screws up blood pressure and then rushes to your head hnce lightheadedness read it in my phisologyu class you can prevent buy breathing properly immediately after rackin wait and doing say another slow Body weight squat

pognog is offline Junior Member
    It usually feels like my first cigarette in the morning, lightheaded and dizzy for me too. Second and third set usually gets better.

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    If you aint feeling light-headed after a set, the weight was too light

FreeDOOM is offline Associate Member
    Yeah the first set or two isnt to bad but once I get to the the last couple sets I really push myself to get 6 to 8 reps out and it feels like I just sprinted the 100m dash! I try to have a spotter but thats not always possible, I always use a squat rack and move the safety bars one postion away from the deepest part of the squat incase I cant get the weight back to the starting postion I can bale out!!!

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish&Andy View Post
    If you aint feeling light-headed after a set, the weight was too light
    That sounds about right.

Sounds like you are doing it right, and going heavy. Don't hold your breath though or you are going to pop some blood vessels in your eyes going that heavy. Keep doing what you are doing!

Edgar is offline Associate Member
    If you laugh really hard, do you feal like you could almost pass out ?

BIGMAC250 is offline Associate Member
    leg days just suck!!!!!!! but yea i get light headed too......starting with squats...whatever i decide to do inbetween and ending with some lunges......i feel like death after i get done with legs....my knees start to buckle.....i just feel like ass b4 i even get to the gym on leg days cause i know im gonna be hurtin b4 i leave....ive also yarfed afterwards...but that depend on who i train with.

binder is offline Member
    i love legs

squat til you puke!

on a more normal level. getting lightheaded doing a power exercise is normal. the quadraceps are the largest muscle group in the body so they use a lot of blood. contracting and straining that hard then suddenly taking that weight off will cause postural hypotension (drop in blood pressure) which will cause nausea and lightheadedness

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    I know we all say that it is fine and normal that you get light headed but in all actuality it means that your brain is loseing oxygen. Be careful and possibly tone it down and go for more sets with higher reps and lighter weight for a while. Once your body figures out how to regulate itself then it will adapt to heavy weight.

I have a feeling you are a taller gent as well.

mike954 is offline Member
    i love leg day!

running_scared is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinred View Post
    I get that almost everytime (not puking or passing out)... I also see stars sparkling around when i go real heavy... Keep it up... you will gain for sure...

for squats.
    Same here! Also weird how when I do really, really heavy squat days I just start to stumble around like Niko from GTA 4 when he's drunk. Seriously my co-ordination goes to shit for 30 seconds after a very heavy set.

Batlin MD is offline New Member
    When I do squats or leg press on the sled I get light headed as well, the BEST thing you can do is lay down on a bench or the floor, you will recover in a fraction of the time. When you lay your body down it allows the blood to get to your head faster and eaier.

If your blood pressure drops the body's natural reaction is to faint, this is to make you lay flat on the floor to increase blood flow to the brain.

I'll tell ya when I lay down on the bench, I'm back to 100% in a few seconds.

Thread Information