BIGMAC250 is offline Associate Member

getting my back wider and when to do deadlifts

other than wide grip pull ups what else can i do besides lat pulldowns to add some width to my back and should i do dead lifts on back day or leg day(possible stupid question there) ive never done them but im going to start.

facile is offline Member
    I think bent over barbell rows are key to both width and thickness, I go as heavy as possible, going heavy is necessary to activate all th efibers imo.

I do deads on back day, I find after squats I don't have enough to do deads the way I should. Some may do it differently.....

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Agree on the bent bb rows, I like Tbar rows as well, weighted pull-ups. I do deads on back day as well. But you might want to hit them closer to the end of the workout (after bb row and t bar row) because after you do them your back if fffffried (yeah it takes a little away from your deads, but its worth the sacrifice in order to get quality sets out of the other exercises.) Heavy is important, but make sure its as heavy as you can go without sacrificing form.

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Agree with most of the above. Deads are a must. However, it is unlikely that you can do weighted pullups if you are just starting deadlifts though.

Try rack chins with maybe a cambered bar (weight added) in your lap. You can look up rack chins on google.

BIGMAC250 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.E.N. View Post
    Agree with most of the above. Deads are a must. However, it is unlikely that you can do weighted pullups if you are just starting deadlifts though.

Try rack chins with maybe a cambered bar (weight added) in your lap. You can look up rack chins on google.
    arent those the pull ups where your back is facing the floor and ur holding on to the bar on the smith maching or squat rack

B.E.N. is offline Member
    Yes...back slightly facing the floor on smith machine.

FreeDOOM is offline Associate Member
    I often do stiff legged deads on leg days because I am after the hamstring side of the movement. For back day I do either romanian or reg deadlifts. You should try doing pull ups as part as your normal back routine. I do them as my first exercise for back. I will do 50 reps in as many sets as it takes to reach 50. once you devolp the strength where you can hammer out 50 in just 3 or 4 sets add some weight but always do at least 50

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    Bent rows, tbars, pull ups, one arm rows are all great for width and mass. If you think you may be too fried from doing all that and then deads in one workout maybe you should have two different back workouts. What I do and really like is to do all my rows, pull downs, and hypers one week and then the next hit heavy deads and pull ups.

abbot138 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.E.N. View Post

Ooops, good point. Sorry i missed that.

Thread Information