Thread: Calves

spiromik is offline Junior Member

Calves

i have tried everything to try and make my calves grow but they dont seem to want.. iv done low sets with heavy weight. high sets with lite weight. supersets, dropsets. i trained them once a week, every 2nd day and everyday but still no difference.. the only way they grow is when i play soccer for a season.
    wat do u guys do for calves?
    help me

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    Calves are tricky, heavy heavy weight with high reps.

Tatudlifter is offline Junior Member
    I usually do them to failure as heavy as i can go for at least six sets. Your calves get used every time you walk or do anything with your legs so it takes alot to stimulate that muscle fiber!

stpete is offline Banned
    I like heavy standing calf raises and heavy seated, and i burn them at the end with a couple of sets in the 15-20 range. 4 sets each of standing and seated.

TheArtist is offline Member
    rest pause reps have been working especially well for me lately... i hold contraction for 2-3 seconds and hold stretch for 2-3 seconds.

fitguy is offline Anabolic Member
    how heavy heavy and high reps???

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    From IBdmfkr:

Here is a PM I sent out earlier so I don't have to retype. Try it and see the difference. It will only work if you can take the pain though, great calves don't come overnight.

"Hey bro,
    Give this a try on you next leg day.

Calves: (follow this protocol with each movement, One rep will consist of the following and should take approx 10seconds to complete, so a set will last around 2mins or so.)
    Use this time variation on EACH rep. 1second up (positive) and squeeze for 2 seconds at the top of the movement (on the very tip of your toes), then slowely decend for 3-5seconds until you're in the fully stretched position where you'll let the weight stretch your calves to their max for another 3-5seconds. Only then will you explode up (1sec) to the top and squeeze again for 2seconds and REPEAT.
    This is ONE rep, count real seconds, do not cheat yourself. After it feels as if someone lit a torch on you calf, do 2 more reps! They should feel as if they will pop after each set.

Standing calve raises 3 working sets.
    1 warmup lighter weight, very slow and get a good strech 12-15reps
    2nd set 12-20 reps (if you can hit 20 without almost failing out then you're not doing enough weight).
    3rd + 4th set 6-10reps, do not cheat yourself count slow and make it HURT.

Seated calf raises 3 working sets no warmup.
    Same as above.
    1st set - 12-20reps
    2+3 - 6-10reps

Try it out and see for yourself, you should have trouble walking after the last set.
    I'd take approx 1-2min inbetween sets."

BIGMAC250 is offline Associate Member
    go as heavy as you can for 3 or 4 sets till failure....do that with the same mentality for every calf exercise you do.....just make sure you squeeze and stretch them bad boys for every rep.....then stretch them some more after the set....dont be afraid to work them 2 or 3 times a week too....you gotta think.....your using your calves everday so your body is used to using them.....thats the way i do mine and i can see a difference after every time i work them, but i also just started working them hard again too....dont get discouraged bro this is a problem i hear about everyday at the gym...good luck

B.E.N. is offline Member
    I like heavy, high reps seated myself. I do them as slow as possible...let the weight stretch fully at the bottom and then hold the contraction at the top.

sorry he said the same above

Hurts so good...

MFT81 is offline Senior Member
    Heres a diff approach.....

Try doing a standing Calf Raise on the smith machine without using a block, just do them flat footed. Also turn your toes very slightly inward so that your heels are outward. when your heels come up off the floor, roll your feet so that most of the pressure will be on your big toe.

I also think that you should run on pavement, or a field, cause as you said soccer helped so do all your cardio that way.

Quote Originally Posted by fitguy View Post
    how heavy heavy and high reps???
    heavy as i can, and i take them to Near failure, and then failure on the last set...

that being said, i've tried super heavy, high reps, heavy low reps... low weight high reps... low weight low reps...
    I've found that my calves are kinda random in that they respond to different things at different times. If i feel my calves are getting stagnant... then i'll just switch up my routine. 'til i find what works, then stick with it for a while... I suppose the same could be said for just about any body part also.

bmit is offline Member
    calves are a problem for me too. switched it up to training 2-3 x week. rest pausing 3-4 sets to failure with heavy weith low reps. working, but like theArtist said could be just from switching it up. so might move to high reps after a little while of this

itburns22 is offline New Member
    Calves are a problem for me too ... the only way they grow for me is training 3 times a week. Sunday i go heavy 6-10reps 6 sets. Wed. medium weight were i can do 12 - 15 reps 4 sets. friday light weight were i can do 18-20 reps 4 sets. I got them to grow 2 inches in 1 year with this.

Voice of Reason is offline Senior Member
    Guys don't forget to work the tibialis anterior muscle in the front of the lower leg. Alot of people ignore this muscle but if trained you can add both width to the leg from the front, and thickness from the side.

You basically work it by doing a reverse calf raise by putting a block under your heels then bringing your toes up, with weights on your shoulders using a smith machine for stability.
    Even better if your gym has a tib machine like this one: http://www.pro-fitness.com/single.shtml?c=6&i=25, they're awesome for adding that extra size to the lower leg and making your calves look bigger.

Last edited by Voice of Reason; 07-02-2008 at 05:59 AM.

i've always thought about doing that... i've NEVER seen anyone do it, and thought it may be for good reason. Next time i do calves, i'm doin it. that might be what i need to spur some more growth. Thanks for the insight.

Thread Information