FortKnox36 is offline Associate Member

14 year old cousin wants to get swole

Yo guys was wondering if I could borrow your expertice for a bit. My lil cousin is 14 years old. Hes about 9% body fat, 120lbs. Hes wantin to gain muscle mass and get ready for the wrestling team. next fall. He has around 12 weeks and he needs to know what to start out with. I am handling his diet for him. I am just use to training my own body and I am not sure what would be good for him to start out with. I was thinking an all around circuit workout 3 times a week or should I have him train each body part a diff day kinda thing.

Thanks for all the help guys,
    C

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    I recommend going heavy with short reps. Like the 6 rep range. Pick whatever you like from this list and go for it. You can google them if you dont know what they are. He will get strong as hell and put on some mass.

Standard barbell deadlifts
    Romanian deadlifts
    Barbell back squats
    Barbell front squats
    Barbell overhead squats
    Dumbbell lunges (walking or standing)
    Dumbbell step-ups
    Barbell clean & presses
    One arm snatches
    One arm swings
    Two arm swings
    Barbell high pulls
    Barbell or dumbbell incline or flat bench presses
    Dips
    Push-ups variations
    Pronated grip pull-ups
    Supinated grip chin-ups
    Lat pulldowns (supinated, pronated, or neutral grips)
    Barbell bent over rows
    One arm dumbbell rows
    Renegade dumbbell rows
    Seated horizontal cable rows
    Overhead barbell or dumbbell presses
    Dumbbell squat & presses

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    I recommend not going so heavy because you will break his little 14 year old, 120lbs body. Feed him, make him eat more and more and more and slowly introduce him to bodyweight and light resistance exercises. He is still growing don't make him do anything crazy like heavy cleans, military press, deads ect...

well i got him currently on a 12 week programs

Week 1-8 will be primarily heavy weight and low reps (with really good form, ill be watching him)

It will also have low cardio and his diet will consists of around 30g of carbs every meal. 1.8 g protein per pound of bodyweight.

I am puttin him on creatine and glutamine for the first 8 weeks.

week 9-12 I was thinking of adding more cardio and increasing the reps in each excersize.

Ill cut down his carb intake and get him off creatine but keep him taking the glutamine.

I think this would be good for him to make a good weight for wrestling.

The first 8 weeks will pack muscle on him.

How does that sound guys? any advice?

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    What weight will he wrestle at?

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    not talking smack, but if he wants to wrestle and compete, the idea is to cut weigt and have the best advantage wherever you are naturally...what is the weight classes? Isn't it like 114 or 119for his weight? It has been years..but, very seldom do people want to gain unless their class is just booked with better talent and the only option is to go up. 120 isn't that small for his age.

training wise, you want him on lots of cardio and maybe some pyramid training for stregnth.

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaberle_15 View Post
    I recommend not going so heavy because you will break his little 14 year old, 120lbs body. Feed him, make him eat more and more and more and slowly introduce him to bodyweight and light resistance exercises. He is still growing don't make him do anything crazy like heavy cleans, military press, deads ect...
    I was doing that stuff when I was his age. Not all the exercises listed but some. I wasnt that small though.

stpete is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rockinred View Post
    not talking smack, but if he wants to wrestle and compete, the idea is to cut weigt and have the best advantage wherever you are naturally...what is the weight classes? Isn't it like 114 or 119for his weight? It has been years..but, very seldom do people want to gain unless their class is just booked with better talent and the only option is to go up. 120 isn't that small for his age.

training wise, you want him on lots of cardio and maybe some pyramid training for stregnth.
    Agreed!! He needs to cardio his ass off, then do some more. Ex wrestler myself and they kill you on the cardiovascular end of it. As far as weight training, high reps, say 12-15, but don't overdue it. It's not the strength so much as it is knowledge and longevity. Just my 2 cents.

MoneyMike315 is offline Junior Member
    Not heavy and not super low sets..... Get him on an MMA routine. Flipping big tires, burpees, hill sprints, power cleans.... You got to get him really strong and EXPLOSIVE with stamina. Hes a wrestler so his exercises should be pretty much the same as an MMA routine.

Thanks guys.

passthetest is offline Member
    yah i would put him on more of a core training program if he is going to be wrestling..also hes fourteen so he will be entering highschool, the more he weighs the more experienced/upperclassmen he will be wrestling which is somethign to consider if he is a serious wrestler

Thread Information