Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The Slingshot Training System

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries

8 weeks out from first show

In the mean time I want to share with you some pictures taken at the gym last night after we trained chest/delts/abs. My wife Kathy and I are 8 weeks out from doing our first bodybuilding show. As you know, I have helped others get on stage but due to not having superior genetics I never had the desire to get up there myself. Well, my wife Kathy changed my mind! She wanted me to compete since she was doing her first bodybuilding show. You only live once so I thought I might as well give it a try. It's all about fun in the end anyways. The keto diet is tough but not so bad since Kathy is following it with me. We are soul mates for certain. Kathy is beyond awesome! 8 more weeks for me to hit 4% bodyfat. Wish us luck!!!

SIDE CHEST POSE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Slingshot Training System-ron_schest.jpg  
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 03-20-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Blog Entries
    front lat spread
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Slingshot Training System-ron_flatspr.jpg  

Blog Entries
    rear lat spread
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Slingshot Training System-ron_lats.jpg  

Blog Entries
    side delts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Slingshot Training System-ron_delts.jpg  

Blog Entries
    abdominals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Slingshot Training System-ron_abs.jpg  

Blog Entries
    front delts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Slingshot Training System-ron_fdelts.jpg  

Blog Entries
    traps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Slingshot Training System-ron_traps.jpg  

Blog Entries
    kathy's legs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Slingshot Training System-kat_legs.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Kathy training forearms
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The Slingshot Training System-kat_forearms.jpg  

Ron..you and that gorgeous wife of yours are truly an inspiration for many....your upper body and her lower is ****ing jacked.. .good luck at the show..that goes for both of you!!!

hockeyguy is offline Associate Member
    Both look great!

ronnie....could a hard gainer like you... become a top notch pro bodybuilder with enough steroids ..slingshot training???

and which steroids ???

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VASCULAR VINCE View Post
    ronnie....could a hard gainer like you... become a top notch pro bodybuilder with enough steroids..slingshot training???
    Various steroids , Slingshot Training , any other forms of training or diet (for example: mega high protein intake and/or calories intake) will not over ride for your genetic potential.

With very high dosages of steroids, smaller incremental gains will be noticed. This same principle applies to Slingshot Training and the number of intense work sets one performs. We know now that after 12 work sets diminishing returns sets it and anything in addition to this is a waste of time!

The majority of people will never be able to step on stage at a pro-level regardless of how many drugs they take. They simply were not born with enough type-2 muscle fibers.

Ronnie - When working the slingshot training is it ok to do 2 week reload followed by 1 week deload or will it not be as productive? Major goal is to bulk

Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
    Ronnie - When working the slingshot training is it ok to do 2 week reload followed by 1 week deload or will it not be as productive? Major goal is to bulk
    Let me put it to you this way hockeyguy-the thickest-strongest-natural trainer we have in our gym is from Poland. He's stronger than the guys on steroids for most lifts. Guess what he founds works best with Slingshot Training? IT'S A 2 WEEK RELOAD FOLLOWED BY A 1 WEEK DELOAD!!!

P.S. This 250 lb guy does strict dips for triceps with 125 pounds strapped to his waist! I plan on filming him this summer.

Thanks man.
    I'm think I'm be coming hooked to the slingshot training routine!

Blog Entries

Wink

Thanks man.
    I'm think I'm be coming hooked to the slingshot training routine!
    Everyone at Gold Gym who has tried Slingshot Training gets hooked. It's addictive because it works and it's fun!

When you know your doing ever thing in your power to hit your genetic potential it prevents "paralyzes" by "overanalyzes".
    Last edited by Ronnie Rowland; 04-04-2009 at 09:14 PM.

NewMuscle83 is offline Member
    Ronnie, question for you on the fat loss diet. You have two plans for the carb cycle, one normal, and one for people who work out in the evening. You assume the people following the latter are working out between meals 3 and 4. However, because of school and work, I can only work out between meals 4 and 5. How can I adjust the diet to fit my schedule?

I will paste the diet so you can easily modify. Thanks a lot for your input man.

Sample Diet for low carb/calorie days: Designed for those who work out in the evening.

Meal 1: 10 eggs-1 whole egg and 9 egg whites (5 grams of fat and 50 grams of protein, 1 cup oatmeal (60 grams of carbs)

Meal 2: Tuna (50 grams of Protein) and 6 Almonds (5 grams of fat)

Meal 3: Lean Protein like deli chicken (50 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat) and 1 slice of whole wheat bread (25 grams of carbs)

(Workout)

Meal 4: Whey protein shake (50 grams of protein) and banana (25 grams of carbs)

Meal 5: Large portion of lean meat such as chicken, salmon or London broil (50 grams of protein) salad (green leaf romaine) with 5 TBS of extra virgin olive oil (70 grams of fat), a small amount of feta cheese (7 grams of fat) and 2 tbsp of croutons (4 carbs)

Meal 6: Whey protein shake (50 grams) with 1 tablespoon of smart balance peanut butter ( 8 grams of fat)

That turns into approximately 300 grams protein, (only 125 grams Carbs), and around 100 grams of fat.

Sample diet for High carb/calorie days: Designed for those who work out in the evening.

Meal 1:10 eggs-1 whole egg and 9 egg whites (5 grams of fat and 50 grams of protein, 1 and 1/2 cups of oatmeal (90 grams of carbs).

Meal 3:Lean Protein like deli chicken (50 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat) and 2 slice of whole wheat bread (50 grams of carbs) and an apple (25 grams of carbs)

(Workout)

Meal 4: Whey protein shake (50 grams of protein) and 2 bananas (50 grams of carbs)

Meal 5: Large portion of lean meat such as chicken, salmon or London broil (50 grams of protein) salad (green leaf romaine) with 5 TBS of extra virgin olive oil (70 grams of fat), a small amount of feta cheese (7 grams of fat) and 6 tbsp of croutons (12 carbs)

Meal 6: Whey protein shake (50 grams) with 1 tablespoon of smart balance peanut butter ( 8 grams of fat)

That turns into approximately 300 grams protein, (250 grams Carbs), and around 100 grams of fat

cslp2002 is offline Junior Member
    (Week 1)

Monday (Day 1)

Chest-

10 degree Decline Press- 3 sets (8-10 reps)

10 degree Incline Press- 2 sets (8-10 reps)

Shoulders-

Dumbbell over head shoulder presses- 3 sets (8-10 reps)

IS THIS WHAT THEY CALL THE ARNOLD PRESS??

Lateral raises- 2 sets (8-10 reps)

Lats-

Medium/wide grip pull-ups or lat pull-downs- 3 sets (8-10 reps)

WHAT CAN I DO TO REPLACE THIS WORKOUT WITH WHAT I HAVE TO WORK OUT WITH.

Close grip pull downs (plams facing each other)- 2 sets (8-10 reps)

AND THIS ONE??

Barbell rows to lower stomach 3 sets- (8-10 reps)

SAME HERE?

Barbell rows to mid/upper stomach-2 sets (8-10 reps)

AND HERE?

Traps-

Seated Dumbbell shrugs-3 sets (8-10 reps)

Abs-

Crunches-2 sets for 15-50 reps

Tuesday -Off

Wednesday (Day 2)

Biceps-

Seated dumbbell curls 3 sets (8-10 reps)

Seated dumbbell Hammer curls 2 sets (8-10 reps)

Triceps-

Lying Tricep extensions 3 sets (8-10 reps)

WHAT DOES THIS ONE CONSIST OF??

Tricep pushdowns with small straight bar 2 sets (8-10 reps)

Quads-

Squats- 3 sets (8-10 reps)

Partial dead-lifts -1 set (8-10 reps)

PARTIAL DEAD LIFTS? MEANING COME UP HALF WAY OR WHAT??

Leg press 2 sets (8-10 reps)

ANYTHING THERE TO REPLACE THIS USING WHAT I HAVE

Hams-

Lying leg curls 3 sets (8-10 reps)

AND A HAM WORKOUT WITH DUMBELLS

Calves-

Standing calves raise 3 sets (8-10 reps)

Thursday -Off

Friday (Day 1 Workout)

(Week 2)

Monday (Day 2 Workout)

Wednesday (Day 1 Workout)

Friday (Day 2 Workout) Continue with cycle!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    Various steroids , Slingshot Training , any other forms of training or diet (for example: mega high protein intake and/or calories intake) will not over ride for your genetic potential.

With very high dosages of steroids, smaller incremental gains will be noticed. This same principle applies to Slingshot Training and the number of intense work sets one performs. We know now that after 12 work sets diminishing returns sets it and anything in addition to this is a waste of time!

The majority of people will never be able to step on stage at a pro-level regardless of how many drugs they take. They simply were not born with enough type-2 muscle fibers.

how did Dorian Yates and kevin levrone get so big??? was it their genes or drugs??? they look small when comparing before and after steroid photos!!! I don't doubt what you are saying ronnie...just trying to make sense of it all man...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 48volts View Post
    Ronnie, question for you on the fat loss diet. You have two plans for the carb cycle, one normal, and one for people who work out in the evening. You assume the people following the latter are working out between meals 3 and 4. However, because of school and work, I can only work out between meals 4 and 5. How can I adjust the diet to fit my schedule?

I will paste the diet so you can easily modify. Thanks a lot for your input man.

Sample Diet for low carb/calorie days: Designed for those who work out in the evening.

Meal 1: 10 eggs-1 whole egg and 9 egg whites (5 grams of fat and 50 grams of protein, 1 cup oatmeal (60 grams of carbs)

Meal 3: Lean Protein like deli chicken (50 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat) and 1 slice of whole wheat bread (25 grams of carbs)

(Workout)

Meal 5: Large portion of lean meat such as chicken, salmon or London broil (50 grams of protein) salad (green leaf romaine) with 5 TBS of extra virgin olive oil (70 grams of fat), a small amount of feta cheese (7 grams of fat) and 2 tbsp of croutons (4 carbs)

That turns into approximately 300 grams protein, (only 125 grams Carbs), and around 100 grams of fat.

Sample diet for High carb/calorie days: Designed for those who work out in the evening.

Meal 1:10 eggs-1 whole egg and 9 egg whites (5 grams of fat and 50 grams of protein, 1 and 1/2 cups of oatmeal (90 grams of carbs).

Meal 3:Lean Protein like deli chicken (50 grams of protein, 5 grams of fat) and 2 slice of whole wheat bread (50 grams of carbs) and an apple (25 grams of carbs)

(Workout)

Meal 4: Whey protein shake (50 grams of protein) and 2 bananas (50 grams of carbs)

Meal 5: Large portion of lean meat such as chicken, salmon or London broil (50 grams of protein) salad (green leaf romaine) with 5 TBS of extra virgin olive oil (70 grams of fat), a small amount of feta cheese (7 grams of fat) and 6 tbsp of croutons (12 carbs)

That turns into approximately 300 grams protein, (250 grams Carbs), and around 100 grams of fat
    Are you having trouble gaining weight or are you simply trying to muscle up with a lean bulk?

Are you having trouble gaining weight or are you simply trying to muscle up with a lean bulk?
    I'm trying to cut fat, and I'm having trouble losing it. I've been stuck at 200lbs for the past 3-4 weeks. Considering I started at 205, it means I only dropped 5 lbs in the past 5 weeks...mostly water. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Blog Entries

Wink

how did Dorian Yates and kevin levrone get so big??? was it their genes or drugs??? they look small when comparing before and after steroid photos!!! I don't doubt what you are saying ronnie...just trying to make sense of it all man...
    I believe the genetics to get huge where always there for these two guys. Their training brought out their hidden potential while their response to anabolics had to be extremely good. A large part of pro-bodybuilding is how one responds to drugs. You could take two people with similar bodies and put them both on a gram of testosterone per week. One guy may make only slight to moderate gains while the other person could become a top-level bodybuilder because he responded to the drugs like crazy!

Think of it like this-100 people could visit a doctor and take the same high blood pressure medication for hypertension. Some will get all the positive benefits with no side effects. Others will get no blood pressure lowering benefits while experiencing horrific side efects. Then you have the majority who get some benefits and have some side effects.

Top-level bodybuilders tend to get along well with the drugs the choose and they have type-2 fibers that respond rapidly when stimulated with weights and the proper nutrition. I've seen people with great genetics train with pretty light weights yet be a lot bigger than a guy lifting twice as much and training twice as hard. I know, it's not fair!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cslp2002 View Post
    (Week 1)

Monday (Day 1)

Chest-

10 degree Decline Press- 3 sets (8-10 reps)

10 degree Incline Press- 2 sets (8-10 reps)

Shoulders-

Dumbbell over head shoulder presses- 3 sets (8-10 reps)

IS THIS WHAT THEY CALL THE ARNOLD PRESS?? Not exactly but you could use the arnold press. The way I describe is to keep the palms facing away throughout the entire performance.
    Lateral raises- 2 sets (8-10 reps)

Lats-

Medium/wide grip pull-ups or lat pull-downs- 3 sets (8-10 reps)

WHAT CAN I DO TO REPLACE THIS WORKOUT WITH WHAT I HAVE TO WORK OUT WITH. Do you have a chin up bar?
    Close grip pull downs (plams facing each other)- 2 sets (8-10 reps)

AND THIS ONE??

Barbell rows to lower stomach 3 sets- (8-10 reps) You can do one arm dumbbell rows for 6 sets and forget doing 2 exercises unless you have a barbell.
    SAME HERE?

Barbell rows to mid/upper stomach-2 sets (8-10 reps)

AND HERE?

Traps-

Seated Dumbbell shrugs-3 sets (8-10 reps)

Abs-

Crunches-2 sets for 15-50 reps

Tuesday -Off

Wednesday (Day 2)

Biceps-

Seated dumbbell curls 3 sets (8-10 reps)

Seated dumbbell Hammer curls 2 sets (8-10 reps)

Triceps-

Lying Tricep extensions 3 sets (8-10 reps)

WHAT DOES THIS ONE CONSIST OF?? Do a search on skull crushers. You could do close bench presses with dumbbells for triceps if you do not have a bar.
    Tricep pushdowns with small straight bar 2 sets (8-10 reps)

Quads-

Squats- 3 sets (8-10 reps)

Partial dead-lifts -1 set (8-10 reps)

PARTIAL DEAD LIFTS? MEANING COME UP HALF WAY OR WHAT??
    It means not going down all the way to the ground. You stop 4-8 inches shy and you need some support for the weight to hit on the bottom half of the movement or you will hurt your back. I woud stick to using standard deadlifts if you are limited on equipment.
    Leg press 2 sets (8-10 reps)

ANYTHING THERE TO REPLACE THIS USING WHAT I HAVE

Hams-

Lying leg curls 3 sets (8-10 reps)

AND A HAM WORKOUT WITH DUMBELLS
    Still legged deadlifts. Do a search on google.

Calves-

Standing calves raise 3 sets (8-10 reps)

Thursday -Off

Friday (Day 1 Workout)

(Week 2)

Monday (Day 2 Workout)

Wednesday (Day 1 Workout)

Friday (Day 2 Workout) Continue with cycle!
    Above in red!

I believe the genetics to get huge where always there for these two guys. Their training brought out their hidden potential while their response to anabolics had to be extremely good. A large part of pro-bodybuilding is how one responds to drugs. You could take two people with similar bodies and put them both on a gram of testosterone per week. One guy may make only slight to moderate gains while the other person could become a top-level bodybuilder because he responded to the drugs like crazy!

Think of it like this-100 people could visit a doctor and take the same high blood pressure medication for hypertension. Some will get all the positive benefits with no side effects. Others will get no blood pressure lowering benefits while experiencing horrific side efects. Then you have the majority who get some benefits and have some side effects.

Top-level bodybuilders tend to get along well with the drugs the choose and they have type-2 fibers that respond rapidly when stimulated with weights and the proper nutrition. I've seen people with great genetics train with pretty light weights yet be a lot bigger than a guy lifting twice as much and training twice as hard. I know, it's not fair!
    that kinda sux ass man..what determines steroid response???

cslp2002 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie rowland View Post
    above in red!
    now can i follow this workout you have set me up on for the full 8 weeks.

Blog Entries
    Above in red!
    Yes, follow this program for roughly 8 week while performing a continual reload throughout the blast. Once you finish we will need to set you up with once a week muscle group training and have you start reloading and deloading throughout the blast. We will try a 1 week prime first before doing another 8 week blast.

Keep me updated on your progress!

Blog Entries
    that kinda sux ass man..what determines steroid response???
    The number of receptor sites one is born with will primarily dictate how much you will gain. Age seems to matter as well. I've noticed that in general, younger guys gain more than older guys.

I'm trying to cut fat, and I'm having trouble losing it. I've been stuck at 200lbs for the past 3-4 weeks. Considering I started at 205, it means I only dropped 5 lbs in the past 5 weeks...mostly water. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
    just wanted to repost that for you in case you missed it. Thanks bud.

Blog Entries

Question

(Workout)

(Workout)

Here's where we need to start-

1) No carbs (except in trace amounts) during last 3 meals. All carbs should be consumed during your first 3 meals.

2) On 5 low-carb days take those carbs down to 150 grams. That's roughly 40 grams during each of your first 3 meals. I am going to assume 30 grams will come from trace amounts during the last 3 meals.

3) On 2 high-carb days increase those carbs to 300 grams per day. During first high carb day take in all carbs during first 3 meals. During the second high carb day take in carbs during breakfast and the once a week evening cheat meal.

4) Decrease fat intake to 75 grams (only 25 grams of fat in last 3 meals) but you can consume most of your fats during the once a week cheat meal on that day if desired.

HOW MUCH CARDIO ARE YOU CURRENTLY DOING?

Here's where we need to start-

1) No carbs (except in trace amounts) during last 3 meals. All carbs should be consumed during your first 3 meals.

2) On 5 low-carb days take those carbs down to 150 grams. That's roughly 40 grams during each of your first 3 meals. I am going to assume 30 grams will come from trace amounts during the last 3 meals.

3) On 2 high-carb days increase those carbs to 300 grams per day. During first high carb day take in all carbs during first 3 meals. During the second high carb day take in carbs during breakfast and the once a week evening cheat meal.

4) Decrease fat intake to 75 grams (only 25 grams of fat in last 3 meals) but you can consume most of your fats during the once a week cheat meal on that day if desired.

HOW MUCH CARDIO ARE YOU CURRENTLY DOING?
    Thanks for the tips. Does this mean, that since I workout between meals 4 and 5 I should still keep them protein/fat only? No pre or post workout carbs?

i'm doing cardio for 45 mins am on empty stomach (well, half scoop protein) and after workout 30 mins. Both sessions are low intensity at 70% MHR.

Legolas is offline Associate Member
    That's exactly right given you do not over do the volume and fry your joints/cns. The best approach is to decrease volume to gain strength (deload) and then take those strength gains and increase volume (reload) to increase muscle size. This should be done during the 8 to 12 week blasting phase.

The repetitive progression between gaining strength with a "deload" and increasing muscle size with a "reload" is the secret many weight lifters are in search of yet few have found.
    That's what i have been doing for a while now altho the coach at the gym made me a double sets and trisets program to help me lose weight but i realized after a while that i gained so much strength so when i should hit the RELOAD i should be able to train with heavy weights and put more and more muscle mass.

Ronnie - Do I keep this same split when I prime? I'm just thinking on leg days it a fast workout!
    1) 12 set is fine during a 1-4 week reoload but you'll need to do only 6 sets per major body part during a 1-2 week deload. You cannot train all out all the time and expect to make rapid gains!

2) I would not do 4 days of training in a row. I would do only 4 days per week with the following split or one very similar-

Day 1-
    Chest and tri's

Day 2
    Bi's and shoulders

Day 3 OFF

Day 4
    Back and Abs

Day 5
    Legs

Day 6 OFF
    Day 7 OFF

Back at it the next day-(day 8)

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tips. Does this mean, that since I workout between meals 4 and 5 I should still keep them protein/fat only? No pre or post workout carbs?

i'm doing cardio for 45 mins am on empty stomach (well, half scoop protein) and after workout 30 mins. Both sessions are low intensity at 70% MHR.
    If you are trying to cut then yes-you can try not adding any additional carbs pre-post workout. However, some people begin to experience low blood sugar, especially during cardio performed after resistance training if carbs are not added before hand. If you do fall into that category, simply add carbs pre-weight training and have a protein fat meal during meal 3 instead of meal 4. Avoid carbs post-training!

Can you do cardio 6 days per week for only an hour at a time each day to see how that does? If yes, I would try 80% MHR.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    That's what i have been doing for a while now altho the coach at the gym made me a double sets and trisets program to help me lose weight but i realized after a while that i gained so much strength so when i should hit the RELOAD i should be able to train with heavy weights and put more and more muscle mass.

1) Trisets and such do not cause weight loss! That comes from diet and cardio. When trying to lose body fat you should always stick to what worked to build you up in the first place-straight sets done with heavy weights in good form with plenty of recovery time taken between sets.

2) I would start out with a 3 week reload alternated with a 1 week deload (during a 12 week blast) to see how you respond. Next, I would experiment with an (8 week blast) utlizing a 2 week reload alternated with a 1 week deload to see how that works. This will give you some understanding how your body responds to deloads and reloads!

Ronnie - I'm really taking to this training but want to make sure I hit it right. If I sent you a PM of my workout would you look it over? I really want this to work. Thanks

Blog Entries

Wink

Ronnie - I'm really taking to this training but want to make sure I hit it right. If I sent you a PM of my workout would you look it over? I really want this to work. Thanks
    Absolutey! I got slammed with pms over the weekend. I'll try and address this tuesday and if you don't mind please re-post your program in this Q&A thread because it will be much easier for me to read.

thank you

Ronnie

question ronnie????

ronnie.....how does your slingshot keto diet..... differ from the dave plaumbo keto diet???? does everyone need to enter ketosis with the second phase of the slingshot cutting diet for it to be efficient????

Blog Entries

Exclamation Dave Palumbo diet vs Slingshot diet

ronnie.....how does your slingshot keto diet..... differ from the dave plaumbo keto diet???? does everyone need to enter ketosis with the second phase of the slingshot cutting diet for it to be efficient????
    1) The Dave Plaumbo diet is based on 16 weeks of full blown ketosis. I do not believe in staying in ketosis for over 8 weeks-period! Been there-done that-never again!!!

2) The Slingshot diet starts out with carb-cycling when feasible so everyone can lose as much body fat possible in a comfortable manner before entering the more stringent state of ketosis.

2) Cheese and such is allowed with the Slingshot keto diet phase where as Dave's plan does not but I do believe in consuming as many healthy fats as possible (like Palumbo) as opposed to saturated fats, etc for both health and body fat purposes.

3) I allow those with a fast metabolism to have one extra carb up meal per week on a second designated day if desired.

4) With the Slingshot keto diet the once a week cheat meal is always included regardless of ones progress to keep t-3 levels high, increase energy levels and help maintain ones ability to carb up for a show where as Dave will take away a clients cheat meal if they do not lose enough weight for the week.

Other than that I think Dave and I are on the same page and I feel his diet is great for body fat loss. I feel by starting out with slingshot carb cycling, more muscle mass will be retained and body fat will be lost more easily in the long run because the body adapts to ketosis after around 8 weeks just as it does 8 weeks of carb cycling in a severe calorie deficit. [U]

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information