BIGMAC250 is offline Associate Member

Exclamation deadlifts are ****ing great!!!!!!

i just found my new favorite lift.....i have never done deads b4 in my life and they are awesome.....i hit 495....and thats where im starting at....i had a guy that holds a world record in powerlifing showing me how not to **** myself up...this guy is only 185 but i think he said when he set the record he was 181 and did a 700+ deadlift....i dont know if he was bsing me buti dont think he was cause he did 495 like it was 225....but anyways that shit whooped me the first time but i wasnt going to let it go down like that so i did it again and got it....my face felt like it was going to explode the people at the gym where laughing but it was all good....just thought i would share that..hahaha...im still pumped...and damn im feeling it already.

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations. They made my back blow up. Squats and Deads, gotta love em

thanx man....yea from what i was told from talking to one of the guys at the gym that used to work out with him.... he was telling me that about a month after starting deads he put on some rediculous mass....deff enjoy them...i think im going to start incorperating more power moves into my workout routine....from what i understand deads and squats make your natty GH levels much higher.....ill tell you what else to....5 plates looks damn pretty with anything.....big confidence booster for me...also if i didnt workout legs yesterday i believe i could have gotten some more weight...but from what they were telling me, 495 aint bad for someone who has never done them b4.
    Last edited by BIGMAC250; 06-12-2008 at 08:36 PM.

green22 is offline Senior Member
    495 for your first time is great bro. Keep it up!!!!!!

thanx man...yea i deffinitaly plan on it.....i was loving it...its new to me but i deffinitally enjoyed it.....from what they were telling my im gonna hate life in the morning when i wake up....but pain lets you know your a live and in this case it also lets you know your growing....thanx again for the input

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Your workouts should be all multi joint (compound) exercises for the most part.
    Checkout some of these as well. You'll be surprised. I can give you an example routine if you want to try.

Standard barbell deadlifts
    Romanian deadlifts
    Barbell back squats
    Barbell front squats
    Barbell overhead squats
    Dumbbell lunges (walking or standing)
    Dumbbell step-ups
    Barbell clean & presses
    One arm snatches
    One arm swings
    Two arm swings
    Barbell high pulls
    Barbell or dumbbell incline or flat bench presses
    Dips
    Push-ups variations
    Pronated grip pull-ups
    Supinated grip chin-ups
    Lat pulldowns (supinated, pronated, or neutral grips)
    Barbell bent over rows
    One arm dumbbell rows
    Renegade dumbbell rows
    Seated horizontal cable rows
    Overhead barbell or dumbbell presses
    Dumbbell squat & presses

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    Your workouts should be all multi joint (compound) exercises for the most part.
    Checkout some of these as well. You'll be surprised. I can give you an example routine if you want to try.

Standard barbell deadlifts
    Romanian deadlifts
    Barbell back squats
    Barbell front squats
    Barbell overhead squats
    Dumbbell lunges (walking or standing)
    Dumbbell step-ups
    Barbell clean & presses
    One arm snatches
    One arm swings
    Two arm swings
    Barbell high pulls
    Barbell or dumbbell incline or flat bench presses
    Dips
    Push-ups variations
    Pronated grip pull-ups
    Supinated grip chin-ups
    Lat pulldowns (supinated, pronated, or neutral grips)
    Barbell bent over rows
    One arm dumbbell rows
    Renegade dumbbell rows
    Seated horizontal cable rows
    Overhead barbell or dumbbell presses
    Dumbbell squat & presses
    yea man deff cause im wanting to switch things up...its getting to that time. from what i believe multi joint lifts are good for burning bf too if im thinking correctly.....and what is a renegade dumbell row...i have never herd of them b4

Pick either one of these and give it a shot for like 4 weeks and see how it works . You can adjust the routines if you like. I left out a circuit or superset examples. Oh here is a renegade dumbbell row. I cant do them cause it hurts my wrist, but they are very hard.

Renegade Dumbbell Rows:
    Start by getting into a push up position with your hands on two dumbbells. Now start by rowing your right arm up to your side. Here’s the trick… while you row your right arm, keep your left arm rock solid by imagining pressing it into the ground. Return the right dumbbell back to the ground, and then row with your left arm while keeping your right arm rock solid.

Example routines:

Alternate Workout A and B, training 3 times per week; then complete 20 minutes of high intensity sprints or other interval training (Workout C) one other day per week for a total of four workouts per week (e.g. Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat = A/B/A/C). Following this example, the following week would look like this: Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat = B/A/B/C. You would follow this type of training program for 4-6 weeks and then switch to an alternative program for another 4-6 weeks. You should be using heavy enough weights that challenge you to complete the prescribed number of reps and sets.

A

1. Barbell Romanian deadlifts – 2 x 12-14
    2. Barbell front squats – 2 x 12-14
    3. Wide grip pronated lat pulldowns – 2 x 12-14
    4. Walking lunges – up & back 10 steps for 2 sets
    5. Barbell bench press – 2 x 12-14
    6. Barbell bent over rows – 2 x 12-14
    7. Two arm swings – 1 x 25
    Abs

B

1. Barbell back squats – 2 x 12-14
    2. Overhead dumbbell presses – 2 x 12-14
    3. Barbell standard deadlifts – 2 x 12-14
    4. One arm dumbbell rows – 2 x 12-14 with each arm
    5. Dumbbell step-ups – 2 x 12-14 with each leg
    6. Dumbbell bench press – 1 x 12-14
    7. One-arm swings – 1 x 20 with each arm

C

20 minutes of HIIT

This is a different type of routine that is great for building and maintaining strength while also reducing body fat. This type of workout contains 6 main
    exercises per session – two for the legs and four exercises working the major multi-joint movement planes of the upper body. The key to this type of workout is that the sequences of exercises are switched from workout to workout even though the exercises remain the same. This means you’ll be stronger on certain lifts on the day when they are first in the sequence and weaker on the days when they are toward the end of the sequence.The key to these workouts is to use a weight that challenges you for the prescribed number of reps. You are not using enough weight if you complete the prescribed number of reps and could still do 3 or 4 more. Increase the weight slightly each week to maintain progression. The sets are reduced in this type of workout to avoid over-training due to completing the same exercises in each workout. Rest 2-3 minutes between work sets in these workouts. Alternate Workout A and B, training 3 times per week; then complete 20 minutes of high intensity sprints or other interval training one other day per week for a total of four workouts per week (e.g. Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat = A/B/A/C). Following this example, the following week would look like this: Mon/Wed/Fri/Sat = B/A/B/C.

A
    1. Barbell overhead squats – warm up sets, then 2 x 6
    2. Incline barbell presses – warm up sets, then 2 x 6
    3. Weighted pull-ups - warm up sets, then 2 x 6
    4. Romanian deadlifts – warm up sets, then 2 x 6
    5. Weighted dips – warm up sets, then 2 x 8
    6. Barbell bent over rows – warm up sets, then 2 x 8
    Abs

B
    1. Romanian deadlifts – warm up sets, then 2 x 6
    2. Barbell bent over rows – warm up sets, then 2 x 8
    3. Weighted dips – warm up sets, then 2 x 8
    4. Barbell overhead squats – warm up sets, then 2 x 6
    5. Weighted pull-ups - warm up sets, then 2 x 6
    6. Incline barbell presses – warm up sets, then 2 x 6

C

20 minutes of HIIT

When you examine the layout of some of these training program examples, you might think that there aren’t enough exercises involved or that there isn’t
    enough isolation work for the arms and other muscle groups. However, you couldn’t be more wrong. Remember, focusing on multi-joint exercises will provide you much better results and will be more functional to activities in everyday life. Your arms and shoulders get plenty of work through heavy pressing and pulling in the major upper body movement planes without the need for single joint exercises. However, this is not to say that there isn’t a place for an occasional inclusion of single joint exercises in your routines (but only sparingly).

im gonna have to give that a shot...where did you get this routine from?

biodiversity is offline Associate Member
    thats very good man I did my first deadlift 2 days ago and I couldnt do more than 315 lbs for 3 reps, 495 is great!

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    Deads are one of my favorites too, I had to stop for a while because of a joint injury but started again in November and only could do 365lbs for a few reps, now 7 months later I'm up to 505lbs and my back and traps have really put on some extra size and thickness from before. I would tell anyone who hasn't done or been doing them to get your ass doing deads because they are great!

07tundra is offline New Member
    I like the workout. I may try it in about a month. I am in a baskeball league right now and that is alot of legs.

Hey what are one arm and two arm swings?

Quote Originally Posted by biodiversity View Post
    thats very good man I did my first deadlift 2 days ago and I couldnt do more than 315 lbs for 3 reps, 495 is great!
    thanx bro....315 for 3 reps aint bad for your first time either from what i understand....the guy that wa showing me the proper form just had me keep goin..he had me do 135x3,225x3,315x3,405x1,495x1 and thats where i had to call it quits...so im sure you can get some more weight...i also barely got 315 for 3 once it drops down to one u just gotta go balls out.....he was just having me gauge myself to see where i was at....but maaan..... my face felt like it was going to explode...

Quote Originally Posted by kaberle_15 View Post
    Deads are one of my favorites too, I had to stop for a while because of a joint injury but started again in November and only could do 365lbs for a few reps, now 7 months later I'm up to 505lbs and my back and traps have really put on some extra size and thickness from before. I would tell anyone who hasn't done or been doing them to get your ass doing deads because they are great!

thats sucks about the injury..but atleast you are back on the rise now....from what i understand all of your other lifts will go up as well from doing deads.....im kind of hoping they will tighten up my lower back...cause it is pretty bad, but all day today my back felt like it was just thicker than yesterday....it was just really tight feeling...it feels kinda nice actually

Quote Originally Posted by 07tundra View Post
    I like the workout. I may try it in about a month. I am in a baskeball league right now and that is alot of legs.

Hey what are one arm and two arm swings?

One arm swings:

Begin this exercise with the weight slightly off the floor. Start with a slight back swing between your legs to get the momentum going, then swing the weight out and up to a height just above eye level. Let the weight fall back down to a position between your legs, decelerate the weight quickly at the bottom, and then use the same hip/leg thrust to power the weight back up into another swing. It is important to note that you are using your legs and hips to generate the thrust in the swing (your arm is just holding the weight, not doing the lifting). You’re basically coming down into a partial squat with each swing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7vah...eature=related

Two arm swings:

This is the same basic motion as the one arm swing, but you grasp the dumbbell with both hands on the side of it

biodiversity is offline Associate Member
    deadlifts should be done every week or EOW ?

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    495 on your first go!?
    You are a true freak. I've been deadlifting for about a month now and I only do 310lb for 3x3. Then again, I haven't touched gear, and am only 18

Thread Information