Thread: Cardio

tard_zone is offline Associate Member

Cardio

I am going to start doing cardio to burn off some pounds of bodyfat. I still want to bulk up and put on muscle. I am 205 pounds at 5'7" with normal bodyfat. How can I lean up without burning muscle, and burn a little fat. I was thinking about runnin in the mornin on an empty stomach but i think this will burn muscle. Also I was thinking about runnin in the fat burnin zone, because this will burn less calories needed to build muscle and the majority of calories burned will be from fat. So when would be the best time to do cardio?? After workout, in morning after a meal or on an empty stomach?

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    First thing in the morning on empty stomach (45 min-1 hr)

and

Immediately after workout (30 min)

All @ 65%-70% MHR (max heart rate)

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    There are so many differing opinions on this subject. Your best bet is to try them all and see what works best for you.

I recommend throwing in some HIIT(high intensity interval training) for your cardio work. Try this on a treadmill:

(adjust speeds if needed)
    Warm-up for 3-4 minutes at a fast walk or light jog
    Interval 1 - run at 8.0 mi/hr for 1 minute
    Interval 2 - walk at 4.0 mi/hr for 1.5 minutes
    Interval 3 - run at 10.0 mi/hr for 1 minute
    Interval 4 - walk at 4.0 mi/hr for 1.5 minutes
    Repeat those 4 intervals 4 times for a very intense 20-minute workout.

Braveheart04 is offline Associate Member
    I do something similar to that except I do mine on the cross trainer. I go 5 min. at setting 1 at 10-12 MPH, then I go 5 min. at level 7, which is much more higher resistance and I do that at 6.5-7.5 MPH. I think its very effective. Diet is the key though, and it takes time to knock out the belly fat.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    There are so many differing opinions on this subject. Your best bet is to try them all and see what works best for you.

I recommend throwing in some HIIT(high intensity interval training) for your cardio work. Try this on a treadmill:

(adjust speeds if needed)
    Warm-up for 3-4 minutes at a fast walk or light jog
    Interval 1 - run at 8.0 mi/hr for 1 minute
    Interval 2 - walk at 4.0 mi/hr for 1.5 minutes
    Interval 3 - run at 10.0 mi/hr for 1 minute
    Interval 4 - walk at 4.0 mi/hr for 1.5 minutes
    Repeat those 4 intervals 4 times for a very intense 20-minute workout.

I wanted to run outside now that the weather is nice so this wont apply to me until i buy a treadmill or use one at the gym i work at. but will running in the morning on an empty stomach burn muscle? should i drink a portein shake or have a light breakfast or just wait till later in the day. If i start i wanted to start tomorrow morning, so please any advice would be awesome.

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Thats fine! Try some hill sprinting. If you have any type of hill near your house this workout is as simple as running as fast as you can up the hill for about 30 yards (or however big the hill is), and then walk down the hill as your recovery interval. Keep repeating sprinting up the hill with walking down the hill. About 10-15 minutes of that is VERY intense and usually enough of a workout for most people.

As far as cardio in the morning, to each his own. I’d recommend at least taking in a little bit of protein and carbs beforehand (such as a half scoop of whey protein and a small serving of fruit) to reverse the catabolic state that you are in first thing in the morning. That way, you’ll have more energy for the workout, plus you won’t burn away muscle.

Well my primary goal is to burn a little body fat. I am not fat, i just want to cut up a bit but still want to bulk and put on weight. So is the best time in the morning because i want to still have calories to put on weight. I could also do after a workout but it doesnt really matter. I will have a little meal prior to a run in the morning tho.

Thread Information