Njectable is offline Member

Sore Calves While Running affecting my Cardio

Hey guys, i'm having problems when I run on the treadmill. I find that after about 3 minutes of running on the treadmill i hafta slow it back down to a fast paced walk because my calves feel like their gonna explode. It really bothers me because my lungs and physical condition could allow me to run a lot longer durations, but my calves are holding me back. It's not a sharp pain, it just feels like i've done 500 calve raises and if i keep going i'm gonna end up pulling something. I don't know if its possibly my running style and the way my foot is being planted, if i need to stretch them more and their just tight, or if my calves are just weak. I just don't know anymore. Any insight would be helpful.

SuperLift is offline Senior Member
    I have the same problem only not to that extent. Instead of raising up onto the ball of your foot try taking for "flat footed" steps. It helps me a bit.

RangersLTW is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum
    I would stretch more, try getting on one of those machines that you can run backwards on whenever your calves start hurting. How does your foot land when you run toe or heel first?

I thought running flat footed would make your shins hurt?

Njectable is offline Member
    i never really paid attention how i was landing with my foot before to tell you the truth, and then i looked into it further how i should be running, and i read someplace that you should land on your heal and then roll up to the balls of your feet. So lately i've been focusing on doing that, but it hasn't helped.

That is how you are suppose to run. I am ex ranger and we ran alot, I would say try changing to different shoe. Believe it or not your foot has a certain arch and there is different shoes that adapt to your arch, might not help but that is what we were told.

Thread Information