phat_matt85 is offline Member

What do you think about steam room?

A lot of MMA guys train at my gym and i see a lot of them using steam room. My goal is to burn as much bf as possible for the summer. My stats are 195 11% bf 5' 11"...will steam room do anything for me after cardio?

NathanSummers is offline Banned
    Steam room or sauna?

Either dehydrates your body while keeping your body temp higher letting you burn alittle more fat while your body is still in post-workout mode.

I never realized much of a huge difference when i tried it

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanSummers View Post
    Steam room or sauna?

Either dehydrates your body while keeping your body temp higher letting you burn alittle more fat while your body is still in post-workout mode.

I never realized much of a huge difference when i tried it
    dehydration is counterproductive to fat burning

bcbrett is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phat_matt85 View Post
    A lot of MMA guys train at my gym and i see a lot of them using steam room. My goal is to burn as much bf as possible for the summer. My stats are 195 11% bf 5' 11"...will steam room do anything for me after cardio?
    I believe the reason you see alot of weight class athletes (boxers, mma, wrestlers) using steam rooms is to control weight. Weight and fat are not the same. You can cut ten pounds in a sauna or steam room but all you are really doing is cutting out the water from your body and dehydrating yourself. After these athletes cut the water weight for there weigh ins the really must replenish there bodies or else they will be very weak.

I think unless you are cutting weight to compete in a sport it is a waste of time....

TRT,MAN is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbrett View Post
    I believe the reason you see alot of weight class athletes (boxers, mma, wrestlers) using steam rooms is to control weight. Weight and fat are not the same. You can cut ten pounds in a sauna or steam room but all you are really doing is cutting out the water from your body and dehydrating yourself. After these athletes cut the water weight for there weigh ins the really must replenish there bodies or else they will be very weak.
    you hit the hammer on the nail thats exactly right. all your doing is losing water. wich makes it easier to make weight for fighters.

8iron is offline Associate Member
    stick to the sauna, steam room is a bacteria dish................................

kickinit is offline Member
    I hit the steam room when I have a cold, otherwise could care less about it.

melloboi is offline New Member
    nope steam room will just dehydrate you, as will the sauna, it wont significantly raise your body temperature for a prolonged enough time to have a thermogenic effect on your body!

spickidy is offline New Member
    I use the steam room for recovery, it helps stress hormones leave the body. The cons are possible dehydration and a feeding ground for bacteria which can lead to an upper lung infection.

jfalco is offline Member
    I can't believe anyone goes in those things. Fvking disgusting. Why not just go sit in a petri dish

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    dehydration is counterproductive to fat burning
    This is true Phate!

Also, heat can over-train the nervous system and cause electrolyte imbalances. This will sabatoge your training efforts. You won't find me in the hot tub, steam room,etc. It's good for making weigh-ins but that's a different ballgame.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbrett View Post
    i believe the reason you see alot of weight class athletes (boxers, mma, wrestlers) using steam rooms is to control weight. Weight and fat are not the same. You can cut ten pounds in a sauna or steam room but all you are really doing is cutting out the water from your body and dehydrating yourself. After these athletes cut the water weight for there weigh ins the really must replenish there bodies or else they will be very weak.
    yes!

bighital is offline Associate Member
    My cousin is a 3x olypian in Greco wrestling 84-88-92-Randy coutore and Dan Henderson are his good friend's--UFC--Any ways I use to go to train with him 3x aday--The STEAM ROOM aka Sauna, he always told me it was for dropping water weight, I use to want to go into it all the time to lose weight, he always said your just knocking out the water in your system, but you will put it back on, and he said to much sauna could be a strain to your heart..That's what he always told me--Great for sucking weight..

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    the steam room makes my balls feel good.. i just hate it when all the old men swarm that shit with their diks floppin around.. have some respect and bring a towel!

JohnThePhoenix is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighital View Post
    My cousin is a 3x olypian in Greco wrestling 84-88-92-Randy coutore and Dan Henderson are his good friend's--UFC--Any ways I use to go to train with him 3x aday--The STEAM ROOM aka Sauna, he always told me it was for dropping water weight, I use to want to go into it all the time to lose weight, he always said your just knocking out the water in your system, but you will put it back on, and he said to much sauna could be a strain to your heart..That's what he always told me--Great for sucking weight..
    well which is it steam room or sauna??

phat_matt85 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    the steam room makes my balls feel good.. i just hate it when all the old men swarm that shit with their diks floppin around.. have some respect and bring a towel!
    FOR REAL DUDE!....i ****ing hate when old farts walk around the locker room naked and there is nothing worst then sitting in the steam room with a old naked guy right across from you! I just leave because i cant take it

Thread Information