RoadToRecovery is offline Senior Member

Everything you need to know about HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training)

So you've finally added enough muscle to your body, but you still seem to have that extra layer of "padding." You see it whenever you look in the mirror: the dreaded excess body fat that has accumulated as a result of a little too much food during your quest for muscle mass.

You are probably thinking that you will have to endure never-ending torture on the treadmill, bike or elliptical in order to destroy this extra layer and reveal your newly chiseled physique. Well, the good news is that you won't.

what is hiit?

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is cardio performed at such an intense level that your body will spend the rest of the day expending energy to recover from the ass-kicking you gave it. This is commonly referred to as EPOC (excess post-exercise oxygen consumption) and it means that you consume a great deal more oxygen recovering from the exercise bout than you would have if you'd just done a steady-state workout.

This means that you will be burning up to nine times more fat while sitting on the couch later that night than you would have if you'd spent an hour on the treadmill at a moderate pace.

Obviously, I am talking about intense training. You will need to push yourself out of that comfort zone you have gotten used to and really challenge yourself. If you are willing to do this, however, I can guarantee that you will spend less than half the time you usually do on those machines and get much leaner in the process.

the benefits of hiit

HIIT training has a number of benefits in addition to the reduction in training time. First of all, this type of training is far superior to steady-state exercises when it comes to increasing your VO2 max, which is the maximum amount of oxygen you can uptake during exercise. This means that you'll be in much better shape when it comes time to play a game of football with the guys.

Secondly, when you perform long-duration, moderate-intensity exercise, you can actually put yourself in a catabolic state in which you will start losing muscle mass. That's right: Some of that hard-earned muscle will start degrading itself in your quest to get lean.

The reason is that there are two types of muscle fibers in your body: fast twitch and slow twitch.

Slow twitch fibers are more compatible with endurance training (such as a steady-state one-hour run), whereas fast twitch fibers are more compatible with short, intense bouts of exercise (such as weightlifting or sprinting).

When we train in one of these modes, our muscle tissue has a tendency to take on the appropriate properties. As an illustration, imagine a marathon runner and a sprinter. The sprinter is composed of fast twitch muscles and carries a great deal more muscle mass, whereas the marathoner has a lot of thin, slow twitch muscle fibers so that his body is as light as possible to transport across those great distances.

This is going to the extreme to prove a point; however, you can see how much of a difference the type of training you do has on your body shape.

Check out these HIIT programs and find out how to integrate them into your regular training schedule..

Lastly, HIIT training, when combined with a slightly hypercaloric diet (above maintenance level), can actually be anabolic and help you to add muscle mass without adding very much body fat. This means that you can develop the muscle you want without having to bother with endless treadmill torture.

So now that I've convinced you that this is a better way, how do you go about doing it?

the specifics of hiit

There are a few different ways to do HIIT training.

You can either do all-out sprints -- during which you go above your VO2 max for a very short period of time -- coupled with adequate recovery periods or you can do sprints that are just below your VO2 max for a slightly longer period with an adequate recovery as well. The first option will really push your body and will elicit the greatest EPOC and VO2 max improvement. The second option will train your body to perform at a very high intensity for a slightly longer period of time while taking less time to recover.

For the first option, warm up at a comfortable intensity for 5 minutes. Then, give your maximum effort for 15 to 30 seconds, followed by a 2-minute recovery. You can walk during the recovery or you can just take it down to a very light jog, depending on your current level of fitness. More than likely, though, you will be going so hard that you will need to walk during the recovery. Perform between 6 and 10 of these intervals, and finish with a cooldown.

For the second option, do the same warm-up as in the first option, and then sprint at approximately 80% of your maximum intensity for 45 seconds to 1½ minutes. Follow this with a 1- to 2-minute recovery period. You may find that your recovery periods are shorter since you aren't running quite as intensely as in the first option. Repeat this sequence for 5 to 8 intervals, and follow it with a cooldown.

working hiit into your training

These types of workouts are very intense and should only be done 2 to 3 times a week. A great idea is to perform them on your "off" days from weightlifting; however, if you must do them on the same day, I strongly recommend performing them at a separate time so you can devote all your energy to each session.

As with your weight training, be sure to take in a post-workout drink (or quickly absorbed meal) to help replenish lost glycogen and repair the muscle tissues.

On a final note, I must enforce that this type of training is not for everyone. Since it is so high in intensity, many people find that they simply cannot work out at this level and end up bypassing their workout altogether. If this happens, you are much better off performing a more moderately paced endurance-type cardio workout.

However, try to challenge yourself with a few harder minutes interspersed throughout your workout. This will help increase your metabolism (although not as much as with HIIT), as well as your overall fitness level, which may help you to eventually include HIIT training as part of your workout.

maximize your workout

Whether you have just packed new muscle onto your frame or are trying to gain muscle tissue with minimal fat, HIIT training is your best option. Not only will you spend much less time on the cardio machines, but you will not risk putting yourself into a catabolic state associated with muscle tissue loss. You will also increase many of the anabolic hormones in your body that are associated with building muscle.

So next time you step on the treadmill, crank your cardio up a notch. Trust me, you won't be sorry!

article from askmen.com

200byjune is offline Senior Member
    great post.

Quote Originally Posted by 200byjune View Post
    great post.
    Thanks... I was looking at a few threads where questions werent answered so i figured id give back to the community.

200byjune is offline Senior Member
    so is hit best done in the AM? it said youll burn more calories sitting on the couch relaxing, then walking on a treadmill.

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 200byjune View Post
    so is hit best done in the AM? it said youll burn more calories sitting on the couch relaxing, then walking on a treadmill.
    It doesnt matter the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    It doesnt matter the time.
    Its recommended to do cardio on an empty stomach. Reason being, if you have food matter in your stomach digestion would be concentrated on rather than fat burning.

I don’t recommend morning cardio on an empty stomach. The reasoning is that when you wake up in the morning, you are in a catabolic state where your body is breaking down muscle tissue to provide amino acids for many different processes and to help supply energy along with fat stores. You are probably going to burn a higher percentage of fat if you do cardio training first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. However, you may also lose some muscle if you do this on a regular basis, which will ultimately lower your metabolic rate, making it easier to store fat in the long run. If you love working out in the morning, go right ahead, but I’d recommend at least taking in a little bit of protein and carbs beforehand (such as a half scoop of whey protein and a small serving of fruit) to reverse the catabolic state that you are in first thing in the morning. That way, you’ll have more energy for the workout, plus you won’t burn away your hard earned muscle.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Not a bad article, but there are some inaccuracies so take the information for what its worth.

swol_je is offline Senior Member
    you definitly dont wanna do HIIT in the morning on an empty stomach, thatll burn nuthing but muscle. long duration at low intensity 1st thing in the morning or after a workout. thats what works best for me.

I do have clients do HIIT training, and works good if all u wanna do is lose weight

I don’t recommend morning cardio on an empty stomach. The reasoning is that when you wake up in the morning, you are in a catabolic state where your body is breaking down muscle tissue to provide amino acids for many different processes and to help supply energy along with fat stores. You are probably going to burn a higher percentage of fat if you do cardio training first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. However, you may also lose some muscle if you do this on a regular basis, which will ultimately lower your metabolic rate, making it easier to store fat in the long run. If you love working out in the morning, go right ahead, but I’d recommend at least taking in a little bit of protein and carbs beforehand (such as a half scoop of whey protein and a small serving of fruit) to reverse the catabolic state that you are in first thing in the morning. That way, you’ll have more energy for the workout, plus you won’t burn away your hard earned muscle.
    I wasnt necessarily insinuating first thing in the morning... however that would be the only time someone like me would have an empty stomach.

Swol, you dont recommend HIIT for someone in the bodybuilding field?

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToRecovery View Post
    I wasnt necessarily insinuating first thing in the morning... however that would be the only time someone like me would have an empty stomach.

Swol, you dont recommend HIIT for someone in the bodybuilding field?
    It depends on ur diet. Im carb sensitive so Im onlvery little carbs when cutting. With the HIIT u r using carbs as a fuel source. if your body doesnt have any store in the form on glycogen, then your body will use ur muscles as fuel and not fat. So it all depends on your diet. HIIT does increase ur metabolic rate, so u continue to burn calories all day after a session of HIIT.

Quote Originally Posted by swol_je View Post
    It depends on ur diet. Im carb sensitive so Im onlvery little carbs when cutting. With the HIIT u r using carbs as a fuel source. if your body doesnt have any store in the form on glycogen, then your body will use ur muscles as fuel and not fat. So it all depends on your diet. HIIT does increase ur metabolic rate, so u continue to burn calories all day after a session of HIIT.
    How about on a bulking cycle while taking AAS? I plan on taking Sust @ 500mg for 10 weeks, possibly 15. would you recommend low intensity like i have been doing?

john3 is offline New Member

good post

when ever i train on tredmill i do a high intensity workout and also on cross trainer but always have to have something in my stomach otherwise i would just feel weak. also when taking fat burners i like to take a protien shake because i just feel faint,weak,and lightheaded otherwise. high intervial training is a great way to train
    john3

How about on a bulking cycle while taking AAS? I plan on taking Sust @ 500mg for 10 weeks, possibly 15. would you recommend low intensity like i have been doing?
    during a bulking diet i might do a couple of hitt training sessions on my off days or mayb 2-3x aweek, other than that, mayb alittle walking after workouts. thats about it. u need to extra calories ro gain muscle. U cant gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, unless ur a noob or on cycle. since ur looking at taking 500mg of sus a week, i would probably limit cardio and mayb just a could of hitt sessions a week. 3 max. just to get mt heart rate up to burn extra cals on my off days. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by swol_je View Post
    during a bulking diet i might do a couple of hitt training sessions on my off days or mayb 2-3x aweek, other than that, mayb alittle walking after workouts. thats about it. u need to extra calories ro gain muscle. U cant gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, unless ur a noob or on cycle. since ur looking at taking 500mg of sus a week, i would probably limit cardio and mayb just a could of hitt sessions a week. 3 max. just to get mt heart rate up to burn extra cals on my off days. IMO
    Well not in the sense of burning fat while gaining muscle, but just fight the fat that you will potentially gain.

patrick1 is offline Associate Member
    I am 46 and not done much cardio
    would HIIT be a bit much for me.
    on first cycle at moment and trying to gain some quality muscle, have gained 10lbs up to now in first 2 weeks, would i be risking these gains??

Quote Originally Posted by patrick1 View Post
    I am 46 and not done much cardio
    would HIIT be a bit much for me.
    on first cycle at moment and trying to gain some quality muscle, have gained 10lbs up to now in first 2 weeks, would i be risking these gains??
    Nope, go for it! You only need to do it 2-3 times a week.

Nope, go for it! You only need to do it 2-3 times a week.
    agreed, just do what you can and each session just bump it up a notch.
    There are 100s of different variants of HIIT... just do alittle search and see which one is for you.

I personally like HIIT on the elliptical. I tried it on the track today and did not like it one bit. Its all about trial and error.

413 is offline New Member
    Good article. I've tried some treadmill HIIT in the past and I think I push myself a bit too hard, because I hit a wall fast and can't break through it. But I think this might be (A) doing it after lifting, (B) the fact that I hate running and cardio in general, and (C) just me being a general lazyass.

I'm gonna give it another try soon, what would be a good diet to match up with HIIT?

Quote Originally Posted by 413 View Post
    Good article. I've tried some treadmill HIIT in the past and I think I push myself a bit too hard, because I hit a wall fast and can't break through it. But I think this might be (A) doing it after lifting, (B) the fact that I hate running and cardio in general, and (C) just me being a general lazyass.

I'm gonna give it another try soon, what would be a good diet to match up with HIIT?
    Well, that all depends on your goals...

413 is offline New Member
    Well, that all depends on your goals...
    long term goal is gain 10-15lb of muscle while dropping bodyfat but i'm kinda out of shape right now, so dropping fat is more important.

Well If I were you, before you tried to gain any weight, Id lose as much fat as I could in a 3 month period... than bulk up.

Stick to whole grains, lean meats, low sugar and fat, foods. Schedule it throughout the day where you would find yourself eating around 5-6 times a day. This will increase metabolism.

To get into specifics, search around the diet section and see what other people have got going on to get an idea from that.

Thread Information