Thread: Lower chest

jc95605 is offline Senior Member

Arrow Lower chest

I was gonna ask this on my log but i think it should go here. Anyway, I've been thinking of changing my chest routine a lil. Its been the way it is for too long. I'm looking at doing a different excercise for lower chest. Right now i do decline bb bench. The obvious thing to do would be change it to db. I just wanted to get some feedback on what lower chest excercises worked best for you. Thanks guys.

Blitz777 is offline Associate Member
    I like weighted dips, but you really have to lean forward in order to target the lower chest.

Quote Originally Posted by jc95605 View Post
    I was gonna ask this on my log but i think it should go here. Anyway, I've been thinking of changing my chest routine a lil. Its been the way it is for too long. I'm looking at doing a different excercise for lower chest. Right now i do decline bb bench. The obvious thing to do would be change it to db. I just wanted to get some feedback on what lower chest excercises worked best for you. Thanks guys.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I am believer in that you can't target your lower chest by itself. The lower part of the chest is one muscle and with that fact in mind all you can do it make sure you hit it properly and see how it shapes out.

The upper part of the chest has its own muscle you could say
    (clavicular head)

But the "lower" part of the chest is more of a general area. Making up the mid and lower portion (sternal head):

Can you work only the lower portion of the chest ? I think not. Just keep pounding away at your chest with different routines and see which works best for you.

I post this because most quickly think that they need to just stick with declines to hit your lower chest and i think (from what i have read) that is incorrect.

Damn thats pretty informative. Thanks DSM, anybody else?

kickinit is offline Member
    Decline dumbell press is nice. I do think its a waste of time though, I just do everything else and I have a great lower pec.

SMCengineer is offline Anabolic Member
    If you want a better lower chest you just have to stimulate growth throughout the entire pectoral muscle. The shape of your pectoral muscle, however, is determined strictly by your genetic make-up. It'll grow how it's predetermined to grow not by which area you "target."

JAY_WD is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blome View Post
    If you want a better lower chest you just have to stimulate growth throughout the entire pectoral muscle. The shape of your pectoral muscle, however, is determined strictly by your genetic make-up. It'll grow how it's predetermined to grow not by which area you "target."
    Agreed, you can not isolate your lower chest. The best way to develop it and add fullness would be to increase the size of the entire chest area. That, and a low level of body fat would show more fullness and size in the lower part of the chest.

Hope that makes sense.

Blitz777 is offline Associate Member
    I agree, bodyfat % has a lot to do with definition of the lower pec.

Quote Originally Posted by JAY_WD View Post
    Agreed, you can not isolate your lower chest. The best way to develop it and add fullness would be to increase the size of the entire chest area. That, and a low level of body fat would show more fullness and size in the lower part of the chest.

Hope that makes sense.

I just wanted to thank everybody for their input. I tried the chest dips yesterday and they kicked my ass, it was awesome. Guess we have work to do! Thanks again guys.

http://forums.steroid.com/showthread...43#post4063643
    Last edited by jc95605; 07-04-2008 at 11:32 AM.

916casanova is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, I agree. I train my male clients rarely hittin decline and most still get great definition in their lower chest when their diet is right. Dips are always great tho!

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blome View Post
    This true!

You can focus on doing leaning dips or decline barbell presses and flat flyes. Also, flat flyes on the right machine can make your pecs swole-even the lower region.

wilson9d is offline Senior Member
    what they said

Thread Information