Voland is offline Celtiberian Pagan Whoremachine Leader

forearm workout help

I wonder if there are any good forearm excercises that are NOT wrist curls.
    How about farmers walk? or any of that powerlifting/strongman stuff.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    reverse curls

reverse preacher curls

hammer curls

with forearms, you gotta hit them hard and heavy
    Last edited by xlxBigSexyxlx; 09-07-2008 at 01:21 PM.

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    only thing i do specifically for forearms is a super set of plate flexors and behind the back wrist curls at the end of my arm day

Voland is offline Celtiberian Pagan Whoremachine Leader
    with the behind the back, d'you let the bar fall to the end of the fingers? Almost as it was to fall. I feel doing it that way makes my f.a work more than having the bar on the palms.

RuhlFreak55 is offline Purveyor of Thor's Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Voland View Post
    with the behind the back, d'you let the bar fall to the end of the fingers? Almost as it was to fall. I feel doing it that way makes my f.a work more than having the bar on the palms.
    yea i do them like that

FREAK is offline BLACK MARKET BUILT
    when u find out let me know will ya!!!

TranscriptionFactor is offline Associate Member
    I love working forearms. Reverse curls are probably the best mass builder, along with wrist curls. Another ex. I am going to add to forearms is wrist roll-ups

Farmers walk is great for grip strength, also pinch gripping plates. I have, but don't do either of these currently. More functional strength exercises, not BB

Anything with a thick bar works grip -

BTW Anyone know if there are any adapters one can place over an olympic bar or dumbbell and get the "thick" effect? I would buy that.

FreeDOOM is offline Associate Member
    try reverse grip cable curls or use a bicep curling machine with a reverse grip.

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    go heavy and your forearms will come, thats what i hear anyway lol

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TranscriptionFactor View Post
    I love working forearms. Reverse curls are probably the best mass builder, along with wrist curls. Another ex. I am going to add to forearms is wrist roll-ups

Farmers walk is great for grip strength, also pinch gripping plates. I have, but don't do either of these currently. More functional strength exercises, not BB

BTW Anyone know if there are any adapters one can place over an olympic bar or dumbbell and get the "thick" effect? I would buy that.
    Some thick padded gloves will do the same thing.

FREAK is offline BLACK MARKET BUILT
    Quote Originally Posted by FREAK View Post
    when u find out let me know will ya!!!
    i allready no the secret to big forearms !!!! Only my closest bro's get any info for those of u that havent seen em yet i have a old thread on em
    CHECK EM OUT!

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    heavy deads/ shrugs/ reverse curls as stated kills my forearms. Never really work them directly per say.

Sir Lifts-a-lot is offline Senior Member
    If you do deads and shrugs try them without straps and really squeeze the bar. Also behind the back flexes help me a lot.

If your gym has one of those plates on a rope thing where you roll it up that can really put some size on the ole forearms pretty quick.

Stoneco|d is offline Associate Member
    To be honest, I only get forearm workout from dead lifts. I used to do them with arms but it's a waste. I go heavy on dead lifts. I have never used straps either. I lift 315 for 3 sets of 10 then on my last set, I'd do 3-4 reps of 405. I get veins popping throughout my whole arm. A friend of mine is a competitive arm wrestler and he always gets these metal stuff that he puts on the dumbbells to make the bar thicker. I have small hands and that shit was crazy, burns like a bitch though.

Pectorial is offline Associate Member
    i like to pick up the heaviest dumbells i can lift and hold them in the shrug position...

just hold them there for aslong as you can whilst slowely moving your wrists...

hurts like a bitch

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    There are a ton of forearm exercises... the one i find that burns the most is that one handle that your put a weight on the end and it has a rope and you roll it up, I forgot the name??? hold your arms out in front of you and it will burn like a motha....I also use the Captain of Crush Hand Grippers....currently ona #2.5.....forearms are not any different than any other body part... you might have limited genetics for big forearms... I have pretty strong forearms, but they are not very big like others with even less stregnth......

Yeah, I agree with rockinred. Alot of it has to do with genetics as far as developement goes. The rope/handle/plate is what I use at home. Simple to make and really gives you nice full articulation.

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    wrist rolls are great i also use dumbells in this manner, for instance take the 80's hold by your side and curl your hands in towards your body as far as you can and walk a figure 8 for 30 seconds i do that for 3 sets.

I also do an excercise that I saw in a book that gave conditioning excercises for sword fighting.
    1. Find a Small sledge hammer about the I believe its a 4-5lb w/ handle length thats a little longer than a standard framing hammer.
    2. Grasp the hammer like you're holding a Baseball bat.
    3. Roll the hammer in a figure 8 pattern then reverse the motion.
    4. This can be done one handed or with both. If the Hammer is too light, go get the next biggest you can find.

mike954 is offline Member
    anyone ever do Zottman Curls?

Sierra Mike is offline New Member
    I did Zottman curls for a bit, but never got much forearm size from them.

THE_DOME is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pectorial View Post
    i like to pick up the heaviest dumbells i can lift and hold them in the shrug position...

just hold them there for aslong as you can whilst slowely moving your wrists...

hurts like a bitch

I agree with this, very good for a finishing move for forarms

jimmyinkedup is offline Disappointment* Known SCAMMER - Do Not Trust *
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TranscriptionFactor View Post

i dunno about loving to work forarms ...but i tempoaraily feel in love with that av of yours*L*
    Seriously i rarely work forearms directly ...mine tend to blow up as a result of indirect training...i do very little trap work as well ...they start to overpower if i do...

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    I do shrugs, hanging leg lifts, dips ect for forearms. I do linework for a living, and becuase of it, I really don't do any forearm exer.

Freak, your forearms are scary bro, i mean damn dude, how did you do that? lol

bdog7583 is offline New Member
    reverse curls are my fav!

gymnerd is offline Senior Member
    Dude, C.O.C. grippers are the shit look into them man. It will build your grip strength alot, and you can
    do it at home while watching the TV.

Dobie-BOY is offline Senior Member
    Here are a few others not mentioned above. I have never seen this done so I'm gonna name it. :-). Uuuuhhhhhh......dobie's overhead barbell forearm inversion. Yep that's the name. Anyway, besides my ego this is how its done.
    -grab any cable bar (for pulldowns etc..)
    -grab it about 2/3 (depending on bar size / forearm strength) the way on one side
    -hold the bar overhead with the longer of the 2/3rds behind you
    -now point the bar (elbow extended) towards the ceiling then lower to point towars the floor.

Another thing I do is when I do db forearm curls not only do I roll it out to my finger tips, I use my free hand to turn the db into my fingers causing much greater tension on the finger flexors. I do the same on the contraction phase. Resisting the phalanges :-) (I like that word) contraction by holding the bumbell with my free hand.

Thread Information