Thread: wrist pain

reddohc is offline Associate Member

wrist pain

my right wrist is hurting pretty badly.. especially when i do curls or just twist it around.. it hurts when i do the curls but it is unbearable as soon as i set the bar done it almost makes me crumble. its just my right wrist.. the pain is on the outside right where the bone is but it feels deeper then bone.. the bone im talking about is on the outside where the ulna kinda sticks out.. also it sticks out further on my right wrist then it does on my left wrist

i seen a post on here saysin sumthing about muscles got big to quick and u could lift mroe but your joints couldnt keep up? is this the case

SmittyTheOX is offline Member
    Id say more a case of poor form. Not to have a go at you, but it is very common. Ive had the same issue in the past.

You should be LOCKING your wrists into a straight and fixed position. If you are unable to do this then the weight is to heavy and you need to work on forearm strength (dont bother with 'pump' wrist curls, some grip training usually does the job).

Another thing to look at is just because curls cause the pain to occur, dosnt mean they are to only exercise doing the damage. Bench press is where a lot of people damage their wrists by having the bar in an improper position.

Wrist wraps ARE an option but one you should avoid. You would be better to strengthen the wrists rather then just work around weak ones.

reddohc is offline Associate Member
    it hurts all the time.. especially when i twist it. like i can set here right now and twist it and it kinda stings... one of the ppl that work at my gym says he can feel something under my skin and says its a "sist"? i think thats what he said.. i dont feel anything when i feel tho......

TranscriptionFactor is offline Associate Member
    Take time off. Rest, ice and slowly try to strengthen your wrists when you return to curling exercises.

Unless....
    You may have a "ganglion cyst" if there is a lump. This is an outpocketing of the joint capsule and is painful, however benign. They can be drained easily but often come back or they can be definitively surgically removed.

See your doctor - orthopedist if possible.

free_spirit is offline Junior Member
    Sounds like a wrist splint. When I use to breakdance I was pushing pressure on my wrist all the time and use to get a pain you are describing. It basically needs some rest from heavy pressure. Yea it's true that your wrists aren't keeping up with the weight placed upon them. Unfortantely the best thing you can do is rest it but you will notice the pain gradually sub-siding and your wrist will strengthen.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Go to an ortho to see what the deal is and a tiger paw wrist brace can help!

RotorHead is offline Associate Member
    im having the exact same issue in my forearm.. i took it easy on the heavy weight for like 2 weeks and its a little better now. for me i think its goin to the heavy weight so fast and growing so fast.. i gain like 25 lbs of muscle in 6-7 months naturally. now im 3 weeks into a sust 250 cycle im not slowing down now .

WOLFCRAFT is offline Senior Member
    Yeah same boat man, last week I was curling 110 pound barbell and my wrist hasn't been right since. My form was fine, I think it was just that my muscles were getting stronger before my bones/joints were and they couldn't keep up.
    I'm taking this week off doing bis and tris, focusing on more legs and abs, and then next week I'll ease back into the curls and stuff and see how it feels.
    It sucks, I know!!

WOLFCRAFT is offline Senior Member
    Here's the thread on my wrist pain, if you want to get some more opinions...

Wrist pain on cycle

GMD3019 is offline Junior Member
    i too was going through the same thing same wrist i was doing reps with 110 pound strait barbell id get two reps in and the right wrist pain would become to much so i took two days off of any working out that involved the wrist i did stretch it and alternated ice and heat then day three started curling again with 80 strait barbell and now have no wrist pain day three no pain so that worked for me

Sust Man is offline Associate Member
    I'm going to state the obvious. If you are getting pain that "amost makes me crumble" then you need to quit doing that particular lift. Period. Your joints will heal with rest, but ligaments and tendons take a LONG time to repair. Obviously your not going to quit lifting for several months, so change some things.

First, do a different exercise for your bi's that doesn't hurt. When I used to have wrist pain doing any kind of barbell or conventional db curl, I switched to hammer curls until my wrist got better.

Second, get a wrist wrap to wear while your wrist is healing so that you are still able to give your bicep a workout. I know some people say not to use these, but the idea is to allow you to continue to workout during the healing process. You should ditch this wrist wrap after your wrist has had ample time to heal. Then you may have to drop down in weight a little to let your wrist strenght catch back up to your bicep strength.

Third, strenghten your forearms and warm them up with light reps and stretching before starting biceps. If your forearms are weak, then they may fatigue faster than your bi's and sacrifice your form.

Finally, if your wrist is painful even when you are not lifting, you NEED to ice it for 15 min on and roughly 30 off several times a day for a few days.

Skip the doctor. His treatment of your problem will generally be drugs to dull the pain, or surgery if there is a major problem with your wrist. Your body has the capacity to heal, but you can't expect it to heal when you are constantly using it. Once it does heal, you have to CHANGE something, whether it be the types of exercises you do, the form you use, the poundages, etc. Whatever you have been doing up to this point will just re injure your wrist if it is not modified.

Thread Information