mas-polloxxx is offline Junior Member

critique my routine

Ok lets see here I do 1-1 &1/2 of ellipitical every morning Mon-Fri with abs 20 min of abs 3x/wk

My evening training is as follows

Day 1

Chest

bench press 10 sets 6-10 reps

Incline bench 6 sets 8-12 reps

Pec deck 8 sets 10-14 reps

day 2

back

deadlift 8 sets 1-16 reps

pullups 5 sets 10 reps

low rows 8 sets 10-14 reps

day 3

shoulders

military press 8 sets 8-10 reps

front raises 5 sets 8-12 reps

side raises 5 sets 8-12 reps

day 4

arms

superset dips and hammercurls 6 sets 8-12 reps

superset straight barcurls and skull crushers 6 sets 8-12 reps

superset cable curls and rope pulldowns 10 sets to failure everyset

day 5 legs

squats 8 sets 8-10

leg curls 6 sets 10-12 reps

leg extensions 6 sets 8-10 reps

donkey raises 10 sets 12-16 reps

I usually take a day off once every 7-10 days depending on when my body needs a break. Am I over training, not training enough, . . .

I'm 23, lifting for 5 yrs, 190, bf=15%, 5'9"

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    What are you asking to be critiqued? That workout may work for you but it never would for me, wayyyyy too many sets for certain movements, not enough variety, too many reps says you aren't increasing weight and aren't making it challenging for yourself and taking a day off only every 7-10 days is crazy because your body will grow while you rest not in the gym.

critique the exercises and number of sets. I know sometimes its a lot of sets for a body part; where is the line between putting in the time with training and too many sets, not enough variety?
    I increase the weight and will be close to max on set 5 or 6, then slowly decrease and rep out a few set, totalling 10 sets so I'm challenging myself on weight.
    whats your personal split of days on/off for weight training?

jnewton86 is offline Member
    i agree with kaberle 15, far too many sets and reps. If your aiming for mass, i would stick to 4-5 sets max, and keep the reps between 8-10. also, i dont know how you function by taking a day off every 7-10 days. I take 2 days off a week to fully recuperate. as kaberle 15 stated, you grow when you rest

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    x2,to many sets,if your goal is mass i would not be doing 1-1.5 hrs of cardio 5 days a week but thats me,a day off every 7-10 days is not nearly enough,if working each bodypart once a week why not try for,mon chest/back wed legs fri arms/shoulders, i have done that in the past and worked well for me

ok, thanx for the input. that answers my questions, . . .

IamtheChitt is offline Associate Member
    I think your overtraining.... I would drop your sets to 4 per exercise plus use a little more variety in your training. You could also mix up your sets between dumbells and barbells. Lastly, I would make sure to change your rep scheme every 2 or 3 weeks as well. You want to trick your muscles, as they will become complacent after doing the same routine for too long.

More importantly, is this working for you? If it is, you may not need to change anything until you notice a plateau.

enigma10 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j4ever41 View Post
    x2,to many sets,if your goal is mass i would not be doing 1-1.5 hrs of cardio 5 days a week but thats me,a day off every 7-10 days is not nearly enough,if working each bodypart once a week why not try for,mon chest/back wed legs fri arms/shoulders, i have done that in the past and worked well for me
    i do cardio 10-20 mins each day before i work out, is that to much ?

IamtheChitt is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by enigma10 View Post
    i do cardio 10-20 mins each day before i work out, is that to much ?
    10 - 20 minutes is not too much. I would never go over an hour on cardio. Also, I would add the cardio after your work out. Except for leg day, I do a five minute warm up on the tread mill.

I do 30 minutes of low intensity cardio post workout on lifting days. On cardio days I do 45 - 60 minutes of moderate intensity. If I am trying to cut, I like to do HIT on my days off from lifting.

j4ever41 is offline Senior Member
    if bulking i would do cardio 2x a week 3x week max at 20-30 minute sessions,as mentioned dont try to do on leg day,depending on your workout schedule as in if you have 3 or 4 days off from lifting a week i would do on off days but if doing same as lifting days as mentioned do after workout not before.

Thread Information