kickinit is offline Member

Scared of weights?

Just curious if anyone has ever been hurt and then found that they have a phobia of that exercise, or just noticed they use to be very strong but now they aren't. This being due to your fault, spotters fault and also fault equipment.

I will go first.

I think I do of lateral pulldowns, I always did about double my weight for as long as I could remember, it was one of my strongest exercises. Had to usually get someone to hold me in the seat and also use my legs, this isnt to hype me up but so you get the full effect. It was in a military gym and I was doing heavy weight, well while pulling it down, I was on like my 6th rep the the bolt pulled right out of the weight and the bar smacked me on the top of the head, at least it was on top harder to get knocked out. It rang me a little but ever since then it took me a while to do it again, and now its still a weak exercise for me, even though im trying.

The other is bench press, I tore a peck in high school doing 350 (mid exercise, hurt like ****, black and blue and no movement for a while felt like my arm was going to fall off), and ever since then I can just about do on incline whatever my max is on flat. This might not be a phobia as much as the lat pulldown, but still think it plays on it, but I try not to let it bother me.

ok? Anyone else? Im just curious putting it out there, nothing to be ashamed with...

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    I was doing incline flyes a while ago with 83lb dumbbells and on my 7th or so rep my left arm gave in and the weight fell right onto my chest.

The next week, I made SURE I did it again PROPERLY, and now I'm using even more weight. It's not about how you fall, but how you pick yourself up again

I_Want_Abs is offline Senior Member
    I strained a quad tendon doing heavy single leg extentions not long ago, had to take 2 days off work cause i couldnt walk let alone bend down to get anything off the floor and what not...
    I took 4 weeks off of training quads until the pain susided. It was so devestating trying to get back into it as i could barely even do 20Kg squats without it getting uncomfortable the 1st week back.
    2nd week back was up to 60Kg, 3rd week up to 80Kg and 4th week 120Kg.
    Now im doing 140Kg and i feel i could put more on but i am not going to push it to hard cause it still wasnt that long ago that i injured it.
    My max was 170Kg so going from 170Kg to not being able to even squat body weight was very depressing but i have come back strong and my legs havnt lost their strength or size so its all good

Ps: im doing leg extentions again aswell but only light weight, i think i was going way to heavy on them before..
    Last edited by I_Want_Abs; 10-22-2008 at 05:49 AM.

I_Want_Abs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamish&Andy View Post
    I was doing incline flyes a while ago with 83lb dumbbells and on my 7th or so rep my left arm gave in and the weight fell right onto my chest.

The next week, I made SURE I did it again PROPERLY, and now I'm using even more weight. It's not about how you fall, but how you pick yourself up again

I like that one!

So true...

Good to hear from some of ya, I mean I think I have pretty good strength, since my car accident im trying to get back in there. I mean its hard for some people to get syked out and I have no problem usually tunning shit out and getting complete concentration. Everytime though on Lat pulldowns, its stuck in my head and I think it keeps me from doing my potential.... Hopefully sameday I will get past it...

stpete is offline Banned
    I have a pretty bad shoulder injury right now. It hurts to lift my arm horizontally. It comes at a really bad time right now, not only financially, but i'm in the middle of something right now that i'm not going to stop. I'm just having to work around it. I won't allow it to keep me from the gym. I do a lot of flies for my chest and laterals for shoulders. I can't go heavy(or anywhere near it) so i make up for it in reps with short rests.
    Don't worry about potential right now. It's too important that you don't re-injure yourself. Think of it like this; it'll give you a chance to work on another lagging bodypart. Maybe legs or cardio, or abs? Double up on those til things get better. Don't hurt yourself anymore than you already are. Just my opinion man. Good luck.

Curtis212 is offline Junior Member
    Hahaha wow man thats funny. Made me lol. Are you scared your going to hit y our head again doing pulldowns

spankey is offline New Member
    I have a phobia of cock pushups now ever since I tried going for that 10th rep. talk about a right angle! jk haha

But on a serious note I'm alittle scared of lateral shoulder raises. My left shoulder is pretty banged up and every time i try a weighted lateral raise i hear a gnarley pop and get a shooting pain.

oh and skullcrushers are a bit scary without a spotter... just look at the name lol

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    my back has been injured about a month now and i will definitely be extra careful squatting and deadlifting from now on. my form was always about 90% correct, but when you get an injury like i have, you will know the importance of STRICT form.

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    two stories:

I strained my delts 2 years back and had severe tendonitis that never fully went away. The first doc I went to said I had osteolysis on my A/C which would only worsen in time if I continued execises that strained them. I stopped dips (which I loved doing) and bench presses (which I loved even more!). 1 year later, out of frustration, I went to a sports injury doctor who saw my xray and said the first doc was a wanker because my A/C was normal for a weightlifter and it was just a tiny pocket of inflammation that refuses to let up. My mindset completely changed and I was back dipping and Benching heavier than ever.. eventually the pain from the inflammation just stopped on its own....Lesson: it is really MIND OVER MATTER!

Second story. My forearms gave out 4 months back because of a huge muscle knot that refused to ease up. despite going on rest for 2 weeks, I still couldn't do lat pulldowns or DB latereal raises or any heavy bicep movements; as a result my bis actually lost size and my back workouts always felt incomplete. 2 months ago, I got myself a masseuse who gives me DTMs once a week and she's really good at loosening my trigger points a bit at a time each session. Ever since, I've been back and maxing out on my lat pulldowns and got my bicep strength back to pre-injury levels by pushing the envelope everytime I'm training and stopping short before I feel my forearms going into a spasm. Just knowing that there'll be someone to loosen up the painful knot every week gave me the courage to push myself to the limit...once again, MIND OVER MATTER

cheers
    Last edited by InsaneInTheMembrane; 10-27-2008 at 11:42 PM.

Its good to hear, I know it takes balls to mention it, but I know big mofos that arent affraid to mention it either and how to get around it to better prepare your muscles for the future so you dont have similar accidents/injures.

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Yeah mate, had a few things like that over time, and yes it has always taken a bit of time to get back mentally for the full agro workout. Funny thing with the lats, i had the same thing happen a few years ago going real heavy (yes i was seeing stars and blood) and even now i check the links on the machine when ever doing cables...... lost trust in spotters at times too, the bad ones are always lookin away just when you need them..lol. But you just keep on going, slower for a time but then its all back

Thread Information