Heinzanova is offline New Member

Home Gyms - Who's gottem?

My local gym has been a roller coaster ride, some days packed, some days not. My schedule also is horrible with work, I am on call 24/7 so some times I can go in the mornings other times peak dinner hours, other times who knows when. So I am looking at starting a home gym. I do not have alot of space but with my gf getting a really nice exercise bike (since she bought it, it is allowed in the living room near the TV) I have my office just to reorg and put some weights in. I am looking at starting small, I was thinking a iron master set of adjustable dumbells and stand, along with a 5 way adjustable bench for seat/decline/incline/flat.

I don't need to do millions of exercises, but I figure if I am really limited on space a set of adjustable dumbells up to 120lbs each and a fully adjustable bench with leg lock area should be about perfect, minus a cage exercise like squats or something I am pretty much set.

What do you guys think? What can't you exercise with dumbells? I mean everything from holding them and doing squats/benching/tricepts/bis/shoulders/back... it all seems to be do able yes? Maybe a little more boring than using some more exotic pieces of equipment but if I have only a little big of space, do you agree this is the best use of the space?

What do you guys have? Any pictures?
    What do you think of ironmaster for adjustable dumbells? (link http://www.ironmaster.com/store/Quic...ells-c-1.html# )
    They seem to be the most sturdy/compact ones on the market, the bowflex look too plastic like and bulky and have no way of expanding, and some of the others seem to be way to annoying in terms of either hand grip restrictions (block type).

For a bench for adjustable work outs my idea is:
    http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...entPage=family

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    search on craigs list in your area. You can pick up some high quality gym grade equipment for cheap. I wouldnt buy anything out of the local store except weights & bars.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/s...min&maxAsk=max
    abstrack@protonmail.com

I have been searching craigslist... it is more of a question of if my selection of items for my limited space was a good idea or if there is another substitution item I should be considering, seeing as I already have cardio?

How big is the space you have to utilize? All in one machines suck BTW - IMPO
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Probably about 5 ft wide, 8ft long.

Looking at something like the two peice golds gym bench / weight rack, lets you seperate bench from bar holder so you can do easy free standing squats and move the bench out for other more wide activities like flys...

You can also ask your local gyms, to see if they want to sell any of their equipment.
    abstrack@protonmail.com

MuscleSportMag is offline Associate Member
    IMO, home gyms are OK but don't do the trick. I've never had a 'great' workout on my home eqiup, regardless of what I've had. But most days I walk out of the gym feeling like a champ.

If you have no other choice, I suppose that a home gym is better than nothing.

Dias_x is offline Junior Member
    Just got the bowflex 6 months ago and works great for me.
    Dont need to wait btw sets for empty machines plus you wont miss a day of training

Brown Ninja is offline Anabolic Member
    I think home gyms are excellent. No waiting in the line and no d-bag asking for a spot. If space and budget are limited though it can be kind of tricky. Just get creat with body weight excercises and get the basics like a bench and squat rack.

rykketid is offline New Member
    home gym, love it, smith machine, free weights, benches, dont think there anything you cant do with that gear (would love a shoulder press machine though

widowmaker2 is offline Senior Member
    wish i had a home gym.

big_k is offline Associate Member
    I put together a little home gym over the summer, and I love it. I have literally cruised in there and did a few lifts just out of boredom, and being able to change and knock out a solid workout anytime I want is nice.

I still have a gym membership because my dumbbells are not heavy enough (not yet) but I love using my own gym if I'm practicing a new exercise, or perhaps trying to correct my form. I have my laptop in there and record myself, then compare. (will use for clients as well)

I picked up some great deals on Craigslist, and put together a pretty legitimate gym. (get compliments on it)

I will post pics when I get home, but I have rubber flooring. DB's they need upgrading (2 - 50lbs) 600lbs of Free weights, a Power rack with Lat attachment.

Adjustable Bench, Treadmill, and a Hoist Pull up and Dip station

I also have "T**" Suspension Training system which I use for traveling but keep it in the gym as well. (Great for stabilization training)

As soon as I get couple mirrors in there I think I can get paying clients in there too. (another reason why I got the home gym)

Blog Entries
    i have a home gym and i love it for the same reasons others state.its just so dam convienient. and i always get a great workout.

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Home gyms are far superior.....as long as you have the equipment needed. I love working out at home and have a sweet setup now in my basement. Its not cheap to build a gym but then again 500-600 per year for a gym membership is rape too. I also find I can fit workouts in to my busy schedule much easier with a home gym. I also hate waiting for equipment at gyms it sucks period. I never have to wait and can go from exercise to exercise on my own.

Cable Cross over setup (lat pull down, reg handles, rope attachment)
    Squat rack with olympic bar +425lbs additional olympic weights
    bench (90 degree,incline,decline)
    Dumbells
    Curl bar
    Forearm curl bar
    250lbs or so regular weights
    bar in ceiling
    eliptical cross trainer
    heavy bag

I`m sure I missed some stuff but I also play hockey and I can tell you I am not missing much (I am getting something for dips shortly) I am also going to pick up something else for leg exercises but other than that I feel I have it almost complete.

the big lebowski is offline Junior Member
    ur set up with that limited space is about all youll have room for it sounds to me. home gyms are great though. i love mine...can play ur own music, dont have to get dressed other than somethin layin around to warm up in, no driving, no waiting, dont even have to pack a pwo shake cause the kitchen is around the corner. just a thought though, u might wanna invest in some cheap mirrors to hang for keeping form and motivation. o and in my case u arent allowed to yell or scream when lifting at my gym so being home to lift occasioanally i like to get loud in my basement just cause i can. good luck with ur search

Thread Information