jg42058p is offline Member

Cardio weight loss plan - any tips?

Hey everyone,
    I am looking to lose about 50lbs of body fat and am looking for tips to do it.

My plan is to lose 10lbs a month for 5 or so months, so I dont lose any muscle.

I was thinking of doing cardio for just 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week, after my weight training work out.

Do you guys have any tips on how to control weight loss so I can keep it only to 10lbs of body fat per month? My plan is slow and steady so I can preserve all the muscle I have.

I'm 6ft 1inch, 270lbs, 23 years old and have been lifting/jogging off and on for about 6 years

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    10 lbs a month is a lot to loose and keep muscle, its very possible you just have to stick with a dedicated training program and diet... I dont think your going to have to worry about loosing too much if your still eating to keep your muscles

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I`m not trying to be mean, but 20 mins a day 5 days a week is nothing and the average person training should be doing that much cardio. Also to drop the fat fast do morning cardio before eating. I do 30 mins upon waking and 30 mins after working out 5 days a week plus atleast 1 of the other evenings I do 30 mins cardio. Getting lean is not easy it is hell and you need to push yourself way harder than you laid out if you want to drop 50lbs. Look at it like a war of you vs the fat. Make everyworkout an assault on your bf.

rockinred is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yes, I agree with Redz... 20 minutes is hardly enough... if you have never started cardio, then start with 20 and progress even up to an hour dep ending on the type of cardio you are doing... also, you need to hit up the diet section...

if you are serious about dropping a lot of weight you will need to put diet in check too.

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    i have been doing gorilla cardio 4 days a week and my metabolism is through the roof like never before, im on a bulking diet and still maintaining my weight and getting stronger...

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Me too I am gaining strength and muscle and dropping alot of fat but I am on tren and test :P

jg42058p is offline Member
    yeah i guess I figured 20 minutes might put me on the borderline of losing muscle versus losing fat and I figured I'd start slow and just work off the body fat slowly... it will definitely take some time, and I may begin to increase my cardio gradually granted that my muscle mass doesn't depreciate...

maybe i'll work up to 40 minutes of cardio/day and start taking a lot more protein..
    Im not so sure about doing a full hour of cardio because that could put me in the range of muscle loss. I'm planning on try to lose about 10lbs per month... so 2.5lbs fat/week shouldn't be a dramatic loss

I know a fair amount about diet, its just a matter of forcing myself to integrate the diet and get enough protein in...

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    I wouldnt worry about losing muscle at this point. Just hit the weights, cardio and get your diet in check asap. worry about muscle wasting when your down to a very low body fat %. I busted my ass in the gym and dropped 30 lbs in 4 months. i did a ton of cardio and hit the iron hard. i didnt lose a bit of muscle. dont get to wrapped up into that stuff you hear.

Thread Information