jaz75 is offline New Member

Cardio vs Weight Gain

I have read through quite a few different posts on whether or not cardio should be perofmed while attempting to bulk up.

Here is my dilemma. I use cardio as a motivator to get me into the gym whether I lift any weights that day or not. It keeps me going there. I don't want to fall back into a complacent slump of going every second day. I have been following somewhat of a strict bulking diet (new to the whole 6-7 meal a day thing) and I am doing pretty good with it. Is doing cardio just burning off everything I am working towards? To compensate should I readjust my diet?

I am in the gym around 6 days a week and every second day being weights and lifting with a 10-15 cardio warm up (treadmill or bike).

Thoughts?

jaz

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Cardio is still good while bulking just not as much and at different intervals than what you would do during cutting.

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Depends on your goals man. Are you over weight now? Or you already lean and trying to gain weight? If you are overweight, I would just treat it like a cut. Do cardio like 6 times a week and weight train 4-5 times a week. If your lean and trying to bulk, then just focus on the weights and do cardio like 2-3 times a week to keep your endurance and cardiovascular system healthy.

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    Depends on your goals man. Are you over weight now? Or you already lean and trying to gain weight? If you are overweight, I would just treat it like a cut. Do cardio like 6 times a week and weight train 4-5 times a week. If your lean and trying to bulk, then just focus on the weights and do cardio like 2-3 times a week to keep your endurance and cardiovascular system healthy.
    couldn't have put it any better ^^^

Lean is a good way to put it, thats a nice way of saying skinny HAHA. I really focus on the weights and diet but in reading some of the internet garabage out there I am never sure if doing cardio all the time is going to burn off everything I am working for.

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaz75 View Post
    I really focus on the weights and diet but in reading some of the internet garabage out there I am never sure if doing cardio all the time is going to burn off everything I am working for.

i do 45-60 min cardio 6 days a week. I do a fast walk for at 4.0 speed, 0 incline on the treadmill. I havent lost any muscle or strength so far. I am trying to lose a little fat though and get to 8% bf. If I wasnt trying to lose weight, I would scale back to 2-3 times a week.

Another thing about cardio, change it up like you do your weight training imo. I was doing HIIT for a few months before switching to this. My body reacted nicely to the change.

Thanks Adam. I'm not really trying to lose fat...kinda skinny right now. I am more looking to keep myself going to the gym and not getting lazy. I have been known to do that in the past LOL

Thread Information