Thread: cardio

british bulldog 1 is offline Associate Member

cardio

when doing my cardio i have been told that i need to be in the fat burning zone. so i dont eat into the muscle.

what is the formula for this?

doi need a heart rate monitor?

how fast should i walk?

firmechicano831 is offline Anabolic Member
    bro, if you want to burn fat you can't do it by walking. You need to get ur heart rate pumping, id suggest you use the bike or treadmill for at least 30 min a day, 5 days a week.

POPS is offline Senior Member
    how about 45 min/ 5 days / 10 degree incline / 3.8 mph heart rate @ 132 for the entire time???

I walk at a brisk pace for an hour in the morning and do 30min and the elliptical on a higher setting after weights and on my off day as well.

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by british bulldog 1 View Post
    when doing my cardio i have been told that i need to be in the fat burning zone. so i dont eat into the muscle.

what is the formula for this?

doi need a heart rate monitor?

how fast should i walk?
    (220 - age) x .65 = 65% max heart rate

x .70 = 70%
    x .60 = 60%

etc, etc

Bulking or cutting????

You need to get a heart rate monitor, but most treadmills, bikes, etc, have them already, or at least mine do.

How fast you "walk" depends on what your target heart rate is.

On a treadmill for example, you can set a slow speed and higher incline. or vice versa, whatever it takes to get in the targeted zone.

fat burning zone is 60%-70%

What are your stats?

xlxBigSexyxlx is offline CHEMICALLY ENGINEERED
    Blog Entries
    Or just look into HIIT

run_n_fool is offline Associate Member
    Be careful with the 220 minus age formula for max HR. It is a guideline and not very precise. For aerobic exercise, max heart rate is not as important a concept as anaerobic threshold (AT) is (also known as lactate threshold, or LT). AT is the heart rate at which your body produces more blood lactate than it can clear naturally.

Regardless, for the purposes of this discussion, for fat burning you need to train at an intensity where you could comfortably continue for greater than 30 minutes (up to hours) if you wanted to. In other words, if you are running and can't comfortably keep the pace for 30+ minutes, then you are running too fast or too hard to be burning much fat. That isn't to say that the faster pace won't burn more total calories than a similar run at a lower intensity, as it will actually burn more calories. The difference is that the calories will mainly come from glycogen instead of fat.

Indymuscleguy is offline Senior Member
    This brings up a very good point. I have always questioned the need to do cardio on days that I lift. When I hop on the treadmill my heart-rate is already 130 and I'm 42. If I hit the 'fat burning' tab on the eliptical unit and fill out my age, weight, etc, then the system displays: "Target heart rate reached". At that point...do I just keep my heart-rate at 130...which isn't hard or do I raise it to burn more? There is a fine line between buring fat vs. muscle...I think I am burning more muscle than fat...

I was told that is the reason body builders walk on the treadmill at steep inclines for long periods of time to stay away the risk from burning muscle. When I jump on the t.m. after my workout, within the first 2 min my h.r. is at 129. Im 38 and Im right in my zone. 128-133 for 45 min/4-5 days/week. I will follow this plan for the next 2 months to se what happens. Im 5'7 196 right now because of being on vacation and the holidays. Just at the beginning of Dec. I was 187. Not too worried though. Withing the next few weeks I'll be back down there, hopefully in the next few months I'll be leaner too...

Quote Originally Posted by popsinc View Post
    I was told that is the reason body builders walk on the treadmill at steep inclines for long periods of time to stay away the risk from burning muscle. When I jump on the t.m. after my workout, within the first 2 min my h.r. is at 129. Im 38 and Im right in my zone. 128-133 for 45 min/4-5 days/week. I will follow this plan for the next 2 months to se what happens. Im 5'7 196 right now because of being on vacation and the holidays. Just at the beginning of Dec. I was 187. Not too worried though. Withing the next few weeks I'll be back down there, hopefully in the next few months I'll be leaner too...
    So, if I read this correctly, for fat burning I need to keep my heart rate at 60% target for 30 to 45 mins 5 days per week, regardless if it's a lifting day or not...?

^^nudge^^

bodybuilder1107 is offline Senior Member
    220-age times point65 and times point75 and stay between the whole time , i stay on elliptical with monitor to tell for me dont pay attention to what displays say they are at a set pace reguardless of they real scenario, im on keto diet and lift i do 45-1 hour in am on empty stomach(controversial) but i tried both and this worked best then i take post shake and then weight train at about 6-7 at night then take post shake other than that it real food all day and i cardio mon-sat and lift mon-fri and sunday i rest and use my cheat meals to replenish and confuse body, good luck

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    i'm 24 years old 6'3 and weigh 185 lbs. I'm trying to gain very lean mass. How long should I run at what HR? So far i've been running 30 mins i'll run high speed untill I can't take it anymore, and then i'll walk a min. Then in the afternoon i'll go back to the gym and train. Please help me out, is what i'm doing the best I can do with my time? I'm a little on the slow side and i've taken so much in on this forum i'm about to pop.

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by xnotoriousx View Post
    i'm 24 years old 6'3 and weigh 185 lbs. I'm trying to gain very lean mass. How long should I run at what HR? So far i've been running 30 mins i'll run high speed untill I can't take it anymore, and then i'll walk a min. Then in the afternoon i'll go back to the gym and train. Please help me out, is what i'm doing the best I can do with my time? I'm a little on the slow side and i've taken so much in on this forum i'm about to pop.
    are you trying to drop bf or just trying to keep fat gain at a minimum during bulking?

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    well i've been bad over the holidays so i'd like to drop bf but gain mass. If that means i'll slow down my bulking that's fine with me.

How should I do my cardio you think?
    Last edited by xnotoriousx; 01-05-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    are you trying to drop bf or just trying to keep fat gain at a minimum during bulking?

Not to hijack this thread, however, I'm looking at dropping bodyfat. I began a cycle today of the following:

12 weeks of:
    40mg oral anavar
    100mg prop eod
    100mg masteron eod

30 weeks of:
    2iu GH 5 on and 2 off

I want to be Jakked by May...June....

Quote Originally Posted by xnotoriousx View Post
    well i've been bad over the holidays so i'd like to drop bf but gain mass. If that means i'll slow down my bulking that's fine with me.

How should I do my cardio you think?
    i would start with empty stomach cardio for 30-40 minutes in the morning, try walking at a brisk pace an an incline, HR 110-130 2-3x/wk

doing just that you should be able to gain without losing much gaining ability

if you want to drop weight faster then up the cardio to 4-5x a week and add a couple HIIT sessions(high intensity interval training)

Quote Originally Posted by Indymuscleguy View Post
    Not to hijack this thread, however, I'm looking at dropping bodyfat. I began a cycle today of the following:

12 weeks of:
    40mg oral anavar
    100mg prop eod
    100mg masteron eod

30 weeks of:
    2iu GH 5 on and 2 off

I want to be Jakked by May...June....
    well you are highjacking REPORTEd

just kidding bro

how much cardio are you doing now? how is your diet? personally i would start a thread in the diet forum as that will be of more benefit to you, then pm me when you get it set and i'll go look at it and get all the diet guys to go over it

I just got home from training. first day since x-mas! Im beat!! Anyways, I did 45 min/10 degree incline 3.0 mph. Heart rate kept at 132 for the duration. Before I was able to go at 3.8 mph but look what 2 weeks of holiday fun can do to us!!lol.

british bulldog 1 is offline Associate Member
    i am 28 years old

220-28 x.70= 134.4

does this mean that i have to keep my heart rate at 134 the whole time?
    can i go below or above this? if so how do you work that out

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by british bulldog 1 View Post
    i am 28 years old

220-28 x.70= 134.4

does this mean that i have to keep my heart rate at 134 the whole time?
    can i go below or above this? if so how do you work that out

thanks
    that's a basic guideline, but if you are doing low intensity training i would keep it between 110-130

Thread Information