Polska is offline Anabolic Member

Are proper deadlifts supposed to be deweighted between each rep?

A powerlifter told me that a deadlift is not a deadlift unless the weight is pulled clean from the floor with every rep. ie, pull up, drop it down completely to the floor, and start again. Then in effect you are pulling 'dead weight' each time. I usually keep it an inch or two off the floor on the negative. So what's the proper way?

I think the powerlifter probably has it in his mindset that it has to touch the ground well because he is a powerlifter. I touch the ground each time, but I think not touching would actually be more beneficial because you aren't resting when the weight is on the ground.

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    dont be like some of the jackasses in the gym bouncing the weights off the floor and yelling on every lift.

quarry206 is offline Senior Member
    well the question is are u trying to make only your deadlift stronger, or just your back stronger...

the reason i ask, if your trying to make your deadlift bigger, yes you need a full range of motion, and from a rest position. if you are trying to make your body stronger, there is a good quality workout from using your body to stop the weight and not the floor..

so yes a true dead lift is resting on the groud to a full lock out.. but if you are just trying to get stronger, do it anyway you want to as long as you aren't rocking all over .. it has to be controlled

wharton is offline out of here
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    dont be like some of the jackasses in the gym bouncing the weights off the floor and yelling on every lift.
    The floor is there to be bounced off! and We will shout if we want to

Full range of motion everytime for me matey.

rhino1 is offline Anabolic Member
    id say full range, controlled, barely tapping the floor would be most beneficial for working out....different story if you are competing...

Diamonds08 is offline Banned
    The reason the rest the weight on the floor is to re-align you position to ensure good form on each and every lift. Not re-setting each time is a great way to get injured.

Nooomoto is offline Productive Member
    I hit the floor each time.

Godson is offline Associate Member
    i dont hit the floor and i cant see how anybody does deadlifts without wrist wraps

the over under grip sucks
    Last edited by Godson; 02-02-2009 at 11:12 PM.

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    I hit the floor, pause then pull again. Just touching no matter how light helps assist the next rep up. I also discourage not going down all the way because one has to not only over come the momentum of the weight going down, they then have to create a force to pull it back up and over come the inertia of the weight changing directions. That puts a lot of stress on the body and increases the compressive and tensile forces placed across the associated anatomical structures.

In other words you can hurt yourself...LOL

boxer1 is offline Associate Member
    ^^ true, go down all the way for full range of motion but don't completely rest the weight on the floor, keep muscles under tension while gently skimming the floor with the weight.

xnotoriousx is offline Anabolic Member
    agree with full range of motion, barley touching the floor, if your form is off, then try sitting it down untill you build up enough stenth where you can use good form without locking out. By letting it rest, you are pretty much taking out the neg motion, I can't see how that would be good unless you just want to do it 1/2x a month just to switch it up. .2c

Njectable is offline Member
    I never bring it all the way down to the floor, bring it so its just hovering about, then back up.

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    I bounce and rep because i have them stupid a$$ diamond plates.

amcon is offline physical pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside... The pain of quiting will lasts forever!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MuscleScience View Post
    I hit the floor, pause then pull again. Just touching no matter how light helps assist the next rep up. I also discourage not going down all the way because one has to not only over come the momentum of the weight going down, they then have to create a force to pull it back up and over come the inertia of the weight changing directions. That puts a lot of stress on the body and increases the compressive and tensile forces placed across the associated anatomical structures.

In other words you can hurt yourself...LOL
    i agree, i have hurt my self trying to stop short and pulling again - and it was with light weight... pull, set it down for a quick tap and back up... not too fast not to slow

gymnerd is offline Senior Member
    I always touch the floor with deads. If I go lighter I will tap the floor and be smooth in going back up with the weight. If I am working in the really low rep range 5 or under I will actually lift the weight lower it down to the floor leave my hands on the bar but pause and reset myself to make sure my form doesn't go to crap as I start struggling.

flanker6 is offline New Member
    I like to bring it down to the floor, briefly release the bar, reset my grip and go again. I feel like I use better technique this way as opposed to other methods.

BPack10 is offline New Member
    I deload on every rep and my training partner touches just touches and comes back up. We both have good deadlifts. I've done an over triple bodyweight deadlift and he is well over 700 pounds in his lift. I would say just do what works best for you and your goals...

Thread Information