T.STEEL is offline Junior Member

Going to complete failure!

Do you guys think going to complete failure on every single set and exercise you do is necessary when on steroids ? Right now i do one or two sets to failure per muscle group, do you think there should be more sets to failure when on a cycle?

kaberle_15 is offline Anabolic Member
    No it is not necessary.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    If you are power-lifting I would say no but for bodybuilding I would take each work set to good failure-"the point you cannot get another good rep on your own without sacrificing form or causing injury".

Phate is offline Got Diet? ~VET~ AR Hall of Famer~
    Quote Originally Posted by T.STEEL View Post
    Do you guys think going to complete failure on every single set and exercise you do is necessary when on steroids? Right now i do one or two sets to failure per muscle group, do you think there should be more sets to failure when on a cycle?
    it can actually be detrimental as going to complete failure on every set can cause the release of cortisol(hormone that initiates breakdown of muscle tissue for energy)

nickbcd is offline New Member
    Never heard about what phate said but i was under the impression that you should always go to complete failure, can you give us a linky Phate to read up more about it?

Quote Originally Posted by nickbcd View Post
    Never heard about what phate said but i was under the impression that you should always go to complete failure, can you give us a linky Phate to read up more about it?
    i knew somebody was gonna ask for that, i'll have to go find it, it was in one of the 50 books i've read in the last 6 months on lifting, but i'll try

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    I am only talking from what i have tried ok,
    While on cycle i worked a 1 day on 1 day off program where each set was taken to failure with the weight going down a bit on each set to maintain the rep range. It worked very well but at the end of the cycle i did feel the body needed a break from that type of lifting, and once again moved to failing only on the last set..

For my next cycle i plan the same type of workout thou.......

Oh just to add, i felt that the 1 on 1 off was needed for recovery as the lifting was very intensive and heavy, but age might come into it a bit,, i'm 44
    Last edited by Older lifter; 11-26-2008 at 01:57 AM. Reason: just to add a bit

T.STEEL is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Older lifter View Post
    I am only talking from what i have tried ok,
    While on cycle i worked a 1 day on 1 day off program where each set was taken to failure with the weight going down a bit on each set to maintain the rep range. It worked very well but at the end of the cycle i did feel the body needed a break from that type of lifting, and once again moved to failing only on the last set..

For my next cycle i plan the same type of workout thou.......

Oh just to add, i felt that the 1 on 1 off was needed for recovery as the lifting was very intensive and heavy, but age might come into it a bit,, i'm 44

That sounds good. I am doing that right now actually what you described. Did you make good gains on your cycle doing this? how was your diet?

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I never go to failure, you are really just risking injury better to break it up into sets.

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T.STEEL View Post
    That sounds good. I am doing that right now actually what you described. Did you make good gains on your cycle doing this? how was your diet?
    Yeah my gains were good, i used a bulking diet, good meals with what's needed every 2-2.5 hours.

I am going to do it again next time as well.

Good luck man, but monitor how your body responds, everyone is different

sizerp is offline Banned
    I go to failure. Phate you get that linky?

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    why failure? just do 8-10 reps. if that is to easy to do, you aren't lifting heavy enough. last rep should always be a bitch with good form.

Quote Originally Posted by sizerp View Post
    I go to failure. Phate you get that linky?
    still searching bro, i've gone through about 10 books so far, it wont be a link though, i'll probably have to type out the study

sizerp is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Phate View Post
    still searching bro, i've gone through about 10 books so far, it wont be a link though, i'll probably have to type out the study
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    why failure? just do 8-10 reps. if that is to easy to do, you aren't lifting heavy enough. last rep should always be a bitch with good form.
    True. I guess I'll restate then. If I am using moderately heavy weights, I'll go to failure. On heavy days I can basically feel when the last rep up is last rep up.

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by redz View Post
    I never go to failure, you are really just risking injury better to break it up into sets.
    I agree..Do more sets while aiming to avoid absolute gut bursting failure. Hitting all out failure all the time causes injury.

Thread Information