Exclamation Two questions for Ronnie Rowland

I have two question to ask of you-ronnie.

1- My lower back has been hurting like a bitch when squatting with free weights and on the smith machine. I love squats and do not want to give them up. What should I do?

2- My knees are hurting as well during squats. I am doing 3 light warm up sets with squats before work sets. Any advide on this one?

thanks in advance!

bump.....

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vascular vince View Post
    i have two question to ask of you-ronnie.

1- my lower back has been hurting like a bitch when squatting with free weights and on the smith machine. I love squats and do not want to give them up. What should i do?

i would switch over to using the hammer squat machine since it does a great job supporting the lower back. Squat only to parallel! Use the hammer machine that you put a pin in to adjust weight loads not the hammer squat machine that requires loading free weights on the sides because that particular machine pushes you forward-hence putting undue pressure on the lower back.

2- my knees are hurting as well during squats. I am doing 3 light warm up sets with squats before work sets. Any advide on this one?

do 3 high rep warm up sets (15-20 reps) on the leg extension machine before going to hammer squats to warm up the knees. Perform the leg exts using only the upper 75% range of motion and do them slow and controlled. Then do one-two medium rep sets of hammer squats before going heavy. In final, take glucosamine/chondroitin, fish oils and wrap your knees tight from the inside-out (wrap them so the knee cap is pushing outward not inward)

thanks in advance!
    answered in quotes above...

What kind of straps should I get? Will wrapping the knees cause weakness in supporting muscles?

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VASCULAR VINCE View Post
    What kind of straps should I get? Will wrapping the knees cause weakness in supporting muscles?
    Ill send you a pm about the straps. I do not think we are allowed to discuss brand names on the open forum.

No, wraps will not weaken supporting structures in the knee.

Thread Information