Farmer is offline Member

** AR members input needed** ***Sumo and Conv. DL**

Hey all, after not doing DL my whole 19 years of life because of a messed up back I started doing them. I tried conv. but I don't really feel it in my back because its so akward for me. I tried sumo today and its awesome I can totally feel it in my back and my form is really good. It seems that if I feel it in my back it shouldnt matter between the two...my question is, is it ok to do sumo? BTW im not a powerlifter but a bodybuilder just looking to throw on some good back mass with DL's

thanks everyone

peace

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Thats kinda ironic, cuz i had the same sort of problem. i never did abs before becuz they hurt too much cuz i have a fucked up back too. one day when i was buyin some shit at gnc, i asked the dude working what i can do for abs that doesn't hurt my back, his reply was "deadlifts", then i said " You don't understand, i want to hit my abs", and basically he said i need to strengthen my back and then i would be able to do situps like everyone else. i never tried doing deadlifts or hyperextensions before because i was scared with my bad back, and even my first few workouts i was scared that i would fuck up my back even more, but after a few weeks i realized it was working and since it was summer, i would workout my lower back(the bad area of my back) 2 times a week and sometimes even 3 times a week. so now after about 1/2 year later, i have added plenty of mass on my back, but now i can workout my abs too which is exciting for me cuz i never could even dream about getting a 6pack before because of my back. i just wished someone told me this years ago, even when i went to physical therapy for a few months, i did nothing that helped as much as deadlifts or hyperextensions

Enough with my story though, as with any other exercise, there are several variations that work the muscles in different ways and possibly use other muscles to a lesser or greater extent.

here is an article i found at http://www.youronlinefitness.com/Fit...e_fit_bits.htm

Sumo or conventional deadlift? Belt or no belt

For those who deadlift, you may have wondered what the difference in muscle activity is between the sumo and conventional deadlift. You may have also wondered what the difference is between wearing a belt and not wearing a belt while deadlifting. A group of researchers at Duke University Medical Center studied these differences between both styles of deadlifting. What the researcher found was the sumo deadlift had significantly greater muscle activity of the quadriceps (the vastus medialis, vastus lateralis), and the tibialis anterior; while the conventional deadlift significantly increased activity of the medial gastrocnemius muscle. As for the belt, the researchers found that wearing a belt significantly increased the activity of the abdominal and significantly decreased the activity of the external oblique. OUR CONCLUSION: Switch between both styles and get the benefits of both. If you want to use the quads more, use the sumo deadlift, and if you want to work the hams and glutes more, use the conventional deadlifts. Use a belt in order to gain the most stabilization and protect that back. STUDY AUTHORS: Escamilla RF, Francisco AC, Kayes AV, Speer KP, Moorman CT 3rd.

Farmer is offline Member
    hey bro thanks alot, glad to hear your on your way to that six-pack and your back is well. I think im gonna stick with the sumo's until I get comfortable with Dl's in general and then switch to conv so I can do them both, as of now that I'm gonna stick with sumo I think.

Peace

Strut99GT is offline Member
    wow, helpful info...thanks

TeenPL is offline Banned
    Most of you guys have bad backs becuase you have weak back and abs.
    I recomend you start doing good mornings and leg lifts. I have a chronic cracked vertebrae, and as long as i keep my back strong, i don't have any problems.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by TeenPL
    Most of you guys have bad backs becuase you have weak back and abs.
    I recomend you start doing good mornings and leg lifts. I have a chronic cracked vertebrae, and as long as i keep my back strong, i don't have any problems.
    That is part of the problem that my back is weak, but the main problem is i was born with this bad back condition, spinaebifodanicolta. Anyways, what u're suggesting that we do is strengthen which is what we are ALREADY doing, i just wish someone told me to do Deadlifts 6 years ago when my back started getting so stiff after i would run a few miles that i couldn't even bend over to pick anything up without screaming in agony, sometime i could just lay down and even that was uncomfortable.

Thread Information