Thread: Barbell rows.

paddy155 is offline Member

Barbell rows.

I just feel that they never really hit the spot and being 5ft 5ins, it can be sore on the back with my body near horizontal with the floor. Any advice.

soulstealer is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy155
    I just feel that they never really hit the spot and being 5ft 5ins, it can be sore on the back with my body near horizontal with the floor. Any advice.
    try using lighter weight and pause with the bar across your solarplexis and squeeze your back

-DedicateD- is offline Member
    im 5'7 i also have trouble in deciding whether to pull to the middle of my chest or my abs

i feel it in diff spots depending on my angle bent over and where i pull too...havn't really mastered this exercise yet

skank is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by soulstealer
    try using lighter weight and pause with the bar across your solarplexis and squeeze your back
    True, using the lighter weight is the only way I can get away with doing barbell rows. Otherwise it is too much for my back. With the lighter weight I can focus on stricter form and benefit from that.

nietzsche0904 is offline New Member
    i do it similar to how dorian advocated it, pulling to the navel and with about a 45 degree incline (straigth back of course)

JC2007 is offline Associate Member
    Use an underhand grip and also a close grip. (10 inches or so. try the inside lines on the barbell). Also use straps.

naturalsux is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JC2007
    Use an underhand grip and also a close grip. (10 inches or so. try the inside lines on the barbell). Also use straps.

i find that a wide overhand grip, index finger past the last ring, i get the best contraction.

also a light enough weight to feel the muscle contracting.

sucking in my abs helps feel it in my back more. i try to keep the bar as close to the body as possible, depending on the angle i use.

make sure you let the bar go down as far as possible before pulling back up. you want a full contraction.

this exercise takes time to master, so start light to get the feeling down first. before going heavy.

good luck.

dwaynewade is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by -DedicateD-
    im 5'7 i also have trouble in deciding whether to pull to the middle of my chest or my abs

i feel it in diff spots depending on my angle bent over and where i pull too...havn't really mastered this exercise yet

imagine when you do master it... you will need more space for your avatar...

I like underhand grip to the navel... pretty heavy(correct form) and i work the mid range... sometimes i rest pause and hold the bar on top of my thighs for a few sec's and get another 3-4 reps... this is one of my favorite for back...

powerliftmike is offline ~Elite AR-Hall of Famer~
    I usually use an extra wide grip and do reps with 100kgs

jon77 is offline Banned
    This is one of my favorite exercises! Use light weight until you get used to the form and technique. Remember to sqeeze for a sec at the top. Nothing will put more mass on your back than heavy rows. Get your form and feel for the movement first, then throw a nickel or dime on each side when you can

nap
    nap is offline Junior Member
    me with jon77,the squeeze and the neg are the most important part of the row.

ralf_snake is offline New Member
    Wear a belt, keep feet near to eachtoher, bend over like you droped your soap. Pull the bar til your bar can almost toch your upper chest(it physically cant of course). And slowly drop it down and touch the ground.

I use a fast positive which mostly is thrown up.

t-gunz is offline MONITOR~ ~ RIP ~ Gone never Forgotten
    try db see how they work.

Thread Information