AdamGH is offline Senior Member

close grip bench for tri's!?

I was thinking of incorporating these into my workout. Every tricep exercise i do feels like i am working some other muscle more than the tricep. After looking around for a bit lately, I reckon that close grip bench seems to work with a lot of people. It seems to go hand it hand with my philosophy of "go heavy or go home." I see it as great power type movement. what are you guys feeling on this exercise for developing triceps and for tricep strength?

I did try close grip the other day after my chest routine and it was rough. My chest was exhausted. so it put a heavy strain on my triceps. I wasnt sore the next day though. which seemed odd to me. typically when you do a new exercise you get a new soreness.

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    Try Bar Dips, Bench Dips,and id also try Rope Pull Downs then do Close Grip Last also Dumbbell kickbacks work really well for me.
    my.02 cents

AJ

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm really cursed with no tricep. Take a look at this thread, got a lot of solid advice on there, it may help you.

Cannot get a tricep..The battle that cannot be won

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    thanks for the help so far. was looking for opinions on the specific exercise in question and if it has worked well for anyone.

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Yes, you can go heavy, what i have found is elbow position is very important, if your elbow are wide there will be extra work on the chest.
    I do them with my elbow moving at the side of my body, i get a good pump when done heavy but strict, and squeeze the tri's at the top position and use the negative.

I alternate with this one and lying tricep extension (again going heavy, i use 75kg on these for 8-10)

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    I used to do CG presses because "everyone said they're effective". But to be honest, I never got a big pump out of doing them, and so I stopped. At current, I only do weighted bench dips, lying tricep extensions, and cable pulldowns, and it's working for me.

You have to experiment with different exercises to see what suits your body best.
    IMO as a rule of thumb, if I don't get a pump, then the exercise isn't very effective.

Edgar is offline Associate Member
    reverse grip bench, hang your ass of the bench so you isolate the triceps more. go as heavy as you can for 8 to 10 rep failure warm up first.

MalibuD is offline Associate Member
    I do lying tricep extensions with close grip and at the end of each set of extensions I go right into the presses for 20 to finish off each set. This really works my Tris and gives me a great pump.

green22 is offline Senior Member
    I dont get a pump with close grips so I shy away from them. I use the movements that give me the best pump. Lots of cable movements, bench and machine dips.

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by green22 View Post
    I dont get a pump with close grips so I shy away from them. I use the movements that give me the best pump. Lots of cable movements, bench and machine dips.
    Looks like we're on the same page

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    I prefer cables using leaning over head rope ext, one arm at a time tricep ext and rope pushdowns.

If you decide to do close grips I would recommend doing dumbbells instead of using a barbell. The barbell put excess stress of the wrist and causes more problems with the rotator cuff when going heavy.

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    reverse grip bench, hang your ass of the bench so you isolate the triceps more. go as heavy as you can for 8 to 10 rep failure warm up first.
    I only get a pump from them with the reverse grips... Normal grip just feels like it's stressing my joints/chest more than tri's... just my opinion

Thread Information