Thread: Pumping up?

Paulicious is offline Junior Member

Question Pumping up?

I had a work out question. What is the best way to get big HEAVY HEAVY weight until failure or moderate weight until your muscles are pumped to the max. I cant seem to figure out what is the best way to lift. I am trying to put on some serious size. I need a really good answer on this one. Any vet help please.

GT2
    GT2 is offline Senior Member
    If you want to recruit the big muscle fibers, you have to lift HEAVY.

Paulicious is offline Junior Member
    What about rest time. I've been working out HEAVY doing each body part 1 once per week. Is that too much rest time?

green22 is offline Senior Member
    Once a week is fine, heavy weight, 5-12 reps, compound movements, and focus hard on the muscle you are working.

GT2
    Quote Originally Posted by green22 View Post
    Once a week is fine, heavy weight, 5-12 reps, compound movements, and focus hard on the muscle you are working.
    Good advice

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulicious View Post
    I had a work out question. What is the best way to get big HEAVY HEAVY weight until failure or moderate weight until your muscles are pumped to the max. I cant seem to figure out what is the best way to lift. I am trying to put on some serious size. I need a really good answer on this one. Any vet help please.
    Use both compound and isolation exercises. YOU NEED BOTH! Go for a pump not a burn! This is accomplished by training heavy in good form while waiting 2-3 minutes between sets. Legs may need around 4 minutes. 8-10 rep-range is perfect for most sets and body parts. When training a body part once a week I prefer around 12 sets during a reload and around 6 sets during a deload. Go to good failure on every set. You must train with great intensity during each set but no so much that you injure yourself. Diet must be right to gain lean muscle mass!

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    Use both compound and isolation exercises. YOU NEED BOTH! Go for a pump not a burn! This is accomplished by training heavy in good form while waiting 2-3 minutes between sets. Legs may need around 4 minutes. 8-10 rep-range is perfect for most sets and body parts. When training a body part once a week I prefer around 12 sets during a reload and around 6 sets during a deload. Go to good failure on every set. You must train with great intensity during each set but no so much that you injure yourself. Diet must be right to gain lean muscle mass!
    I agree entirely! Waiting that long between sets will seem like it takes forever and will definatley cause your workouts to be longer, but it's well worth it imo... For those who say your intensity is shot by this method have obviously never tried it properly... It's not the pace of your exercises, it's the intesity you invest in every rep of every set!

GT2
    Quote Originally Posted by fit4ever180 View Post
    I agree entirely! Waiting that long between sets will seem like it takes forever and will definatley cause your workouts to be longer, but it's well worth it imo... For those who say your intensity is shot by this method have obviously never tried it properly... It's not the pace of your exercises, it's the intesity you invest in every rep of every set!
    Well said

sweeney todd is offline Junior Member
    i find shorter rest periods are better used during high rep/moderate weight cycles. 2 minutes has been my rest for lower rep/heavy weight cycles.

Thread Information