oldnoob is offline New Member

benching and wrist

guys, my palms are always perpendicular to my forearms whenever i do benching due to the weight on the barbell, and my wrists felt like they are being stretched backwards to their max n may dislocate anytime.

are there any proper techniques or location of where the wrist should be or how to lock it when executing a bench press? thanks

AdamGH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnoob View Post
    guys, my palms are always perpendicular to my forearms whenever i do benching due to the weight on the barbell, and my wrists felt like they are being stretched backwards to their max n may dislocate anytime.

are there any proper techniques or location of where the wrist should be or how to lock it when executing a bench press? thanks
    not sure what you are doing. the weight should be on the bottom of your wrist almost. that way when you lift, the weight is being supported by your whole forearm and just held in place with your wrist and grip.

CONsis10c is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnoob View Post

your probably doing to much weight incorrectly, take off some weight and focus on contracting yo chest

redz is offline Knowledgeable Member
    I find it helps to warm up properly and start low to get the wrists ready for the heavyweights.

verino is offline Associate Member
    get some wrist wraps and practice good form.

rhino1 is offline Anabolic Member
    http://www.inzernet.com/search_resul...earch&iLevel=1

go to this website....get the red and black long wrist wraps...request them to sew a wrist loop(not a thumb loop)....with the wrist loop on they are snug and then when you need to sinch them down you can....these puppies will choke your hands and make your wrist more stable than a tree trunk...they last forever and look for your bench to go up 20lbs just because there is no give when you accelerate up...

Older lifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamGH View Post
    not sure what you are doing. the weight should be on the bottom of your wrist almost. that way when you lift, the weight is being supported by your whole forearm and just held in place with your wrist and grip.
    Agree with this,,, look at your lifting form

smokeyd is offline Grade A Whore/Banned
    grab that bar and squeese i like it owes you money, also wrist wraps will help

im here to learn is offline Junior Member
    i can testify the wrist strap can definately aid you here, having recently started the use of them, however im constantly berated by the local 140 lb know it all instructor, he believes, long term, it will harm your bench by using them. Although i understand it prevents the wrist from strengthening i have definately seen improvements. whats you guys opinions on theyre use in bench and other excercises

binder is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by im here to learn View Post
    i can testify the wrist strap can definately aid you here, having recently started the use of them, however im constantly berated by the local 140 lb know it all instructor, he believes, long term, it will harm your bench by using them. Although i understand it prevents the wrist from strengthening i have definately seen improvements. whats you guys opinions on theyre use in bench and other excercises
    i think he's talking about lifting straps that support weight. The types used for deadlift. That will cause you not to use your arms as much and lose grip strength.

What is being recommended here is a strap that supports the distal radius/ulna and helps the ligaments hold the weight. There are ligaments between those 2 bones and when you hyperextend your wrist (backwards) you pull those bones apart and overstress those ligaments. By taping your wrists or using a support strap that just reduces injury. It's like what lifters use around their knees. If your trainer thinks that is going to hurt you then he's an idiot. It does nothing but PROTECT the ligaments. Also, make sure you just tape around the distal forearm and not over the wrist joint itself.

unfortunately he does mean such wrist straps, we've all met someone similar, idiot. another of his prophecies is that the nitrous oxide (bsn etc) is a placebo. while have your attention binder, you seem to have a good understanding of the subject; my left wrist, when rotating my hand anticlockwise has a relatively loud CLICK each rotation. any advice for nursing, short and long term? cheers

binder is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by im here to learn View Post
    unfortunately he does mean such wrist straps, we've all met someone similar, idiot. another of his prophecies is that the nitrous oxide (bsn etc) is a placebo. while have your attention binder, you seem to have a good understanding of the subject; my left wrist, when rotating my hand anticlockwise has a relatively loud CLICK each rotation. any advice for nursing, short and long term? cheers
    interesting.

umm, the wrist, sounds like the carpals of the wrist are binding somewhere. If you know a good chiropractor (or maybe doctor that is a DO) they can reset these and it should help.

It could also be due to degenerative joint disease. I don't know how old you are or any injuries you've had to your wrists. Injury would cause damage to the cartilage faster which could cause grinding and catching of the bones.

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Do you wrap your thumb over the bar? It helps my wrists to to have an open palm grip on the bar... That means the bar is just sitting on my hands, without wrapping my thumb over it...

rhino1 is offline Anabolic Member
    i have always used open grip...even with 550lbs on bench...never a problem...but really depends on your own anatomy...

cheers guys.

24 years old, 4 years training, naturally heavy build.

i dont put thumb over the bar, well, not the last couple years. i would never feel the wrist during what you would imagine to be high pressure excercises.......bench, military, deadlift. it would be during bicep barbell curls, lat raises......

id be a stubborn kind of punk, through sickness, injuries or ailments id be too set in my ways to see the doc,wouldnt even know what he looks like, having been since i was prob 10.maybe being too 'scared' to take time away from the gym is catching up on my so called young body

Having not seen your form I would say the most common problem I see in the gym which will induce wrist pain is supporting the weight to close to your fingers. The weight should rest over your forearm bones as much as possible. Even if that means having your wrist somewhat palmar flexed, not 90 degrees but more around 70. The important thing is that you don't let the weight apply undue leverage to your wrist. The further the bar is from the imaginary line extending from your forearm to the ceiling the more torque a given amount of weight applies to your wrist.

Thread Information