Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gym etiquette

im here to learn is offline Junior Member

gym etiquette

well, tonight, while maxing out on deadlift i admittedly caused a racket (imo to be expected, its not a creche its a god damn gym), pushing my body to its absolute limit raising the weight, my decline aint so graceful and involved releasing the bar halfway through returning the weight to the ground.

so one inexperienced 'instructor' told me not to be 'dropping' the weight, i said its not a pack of sausages, be realistic. following another set the manager decides to come up................

d**khead:hey, you cant be making so much noise, dont be dropping it
    me: im doing my best, easier said than done
    d**khead:just dont do it
    me:im doing my best, ill try
    d**khead:you're not allowed do it
    me:IM DOING MY BEST, im not making any promises but ill try
    d**khead:its in the rules, i thought the ceiling would come down
    me:what rules
    d**khead:my rules
    me: get real
    ............................bang

god damn these bitches make me wanna turn the gym upside down............needed to let of some steam

anyone else have these problems???

i needed that off my chest

Noles12 is offline Knowledgeable Member
    Yeah there are a few guys like that at my gym. I was with a buddy doing deadlifts and he's a pretty big guy(competed a few time). He set pads on the ground for all the weight and when he did his set he dropped the last one. A guy watching walked up and threatened to suspend his membership. I've seen this guy threaten this to just about everyone if he things you are doing even the smallest thing wrong

ive outgrown this gym, too commercial, trying to look after the casual gym user, who maybe get intimidated by someone busting their balls
    Last edited by im here to learn; 12-09-2008 at 09:54 AM.

Coop77 is offline Senior Member
    Sorry but i'd probably have to agree with the manager. Their gym, their rules. I think guys that slam the weights around are just wanting attention anyway.

CMPD213 is offline Associate Member
    I workout in a gym where it is 50% old people trying to stay healthy, 30% mom's/dad's trying to stay healthy, 10% of the people are kind, but come in just to workout and most are BBers, and then there is another 10% that are these jerk offs that grunt and make hissy noises while benching 225 and squatting 225, then they'll do DB flat bench with like 100's and throw the DB's after they're done.. I think it's extremely rude and disrespectful also very unnecessary BUT you were maxing at a deadlift, as long as you don't do it on every lift or anything i don't see much of a problem and as long as you have pads or something on the ground atleast following a couple of rules.. Just don't be one of those dbags that think they're tough shit and make noise and throw weights for no reason. Just makes ya look stupid IMO

i guess sometimes ye have to agree to disagree, ive always believed, when doing truly hard sets, if you can return the weight calmly and smoothly then you didnt push yourself hard enough during the rep(s). Away from the deadlift situation, if you rep to FAILURE on say dumbell chest presses then you do not and should not have enough in the tank to 'politely' place the weight down.................different strokes

FireGuy is offline 9/11/2001~343 Never Forget!~E-HOF~RETIRED
    I have seen the biggest guys in the gym gently put down 150 DB's after pressing til failure. It's usually the novice grunting with the 80's who feels the need to toss them on the ground putting a nice bend in the handle so they are out of balance for everyone else.

fit4ever180 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    I have seen the biggest guys in the gym gently put down 150 DB's after pressing til failure. It's usually the novice grunting with the 80's who feels the need to toss them on the ground putting a nice bend in the handle so they are out of balance for everyone else.
    That's the truth right there!!! If you can't handle the weight on the way down, then you shouldn't be using it imo

if i for one truly fail and force rep on dumbbells i need them off me asap. theres tossing and theres gently putting down, there is obviously middle ground too.its a gym, its not dinner with the family.

and im not advocating damaging machines, bars or weights, merely stating that some leverage should be given, should squatters drop the weight in case they bend the bar? constant abuse of equipment is of course unacceptable.

im there to work my bollox off, im not there to make friends, conversate or earn tidiest member awards, ill bust my gut to and above my limit and should i drop a couple barbells on the way, so be it

I train in a really hardcore iron pit style gym with very serious athletes that train for olympic lifts, bodybuilding, as well as strong man competition. I rarely see anyone dopping weights screaming and such. In my gym this is considered out of control and out of focus. This is when distraction to others trying to stay in focus and injuries occur. serious athletes can offord neither of these. I'm not trying to say that you aren't serious by any means. Please don't think I'm flaming you. Maybe just try a focused control approach to the lifts and it might provide a more satisfying workout. I truly believe that focus and control add so much to the "mind-muscle" connection that Arnold talked about. Just a thought

very good point youngnhungry, i think the psychological aspect is usually undermined.......

i would admit in all aspects of life, not just in training, that id find it difficult to concentrate continously for long periods, could this have a play in it, subconsciencely? by which i mean getting psyched for short explosive bursts of pure 100%

to my defence i would say that over 90% of my lifts are controlled, and are returned to the floor/rack gracefully.

its perhaps safe to say that people with different psychological mind sets approach intense lifts differently, i could be a stubborn sob but i still believe each should be catered for.

ps with regards earlier messages comparing beginners with blahblah lb dbs and experienced lifters with heavier dbs, i dont think the weight itself matters, its subjective to a persons individual capabilities....

I have to agree with what was stated earlier.. If you are repping till failure and you cant hold the weight anymore therefore you drop it, that's not safe for you or anyone around you.. What if you try going heavier one day and on your last rep you drop a DB, i mean you are the one that said sometimes you dont have it in you to set the DB down because you went until failure... Just my thought.. Also if going until failure was such a good way to workout why don't top notch bodybuilders/powerlifters do it? Just my thought

im sure they do, its not something done every day of the week. i dont drop the dumbbells, i just dont gently place them and give them a hug and kiss to make sure theyre ok. all sets to failure on presses need a spotter so there should be no danger of dropping a dumbbell on oneself

I think that its really good that you are considering how your base line personality, and ability to focus in other parts of your life might be effecting your lifts. Its by alot of self analysis that we make better choices in life and in the gym.

Deltasaurus is offline The Over Analyzing Nattabolic
    How much were u maxing out with?????

Mazzive_T is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp2007 View Post
    I workout in a gym where it is 50% old people trying to stay healthy, 30% mom's/dad's trying to stay healthy, 10% of the people are kind, but come in just to workout and most are BBers, and then there is another 10% that are these jerk offs that grunt and make hissy noises while benching 225 and squatting 225, then they'll do DB flat bench with like 100's and throw the DB's after they're done.. I think it's extremely rude and disrespectful also very unnecessary BUT you were maxing at a deadlift, as long as you don't do it on every lift or anything i don't see much of a problem and as long as you have pads or something on the ground atleast following a couple of rules.. Just don't be one of those dbags that think they're tough shit and make noise and throw weights for no reason. Just makes ya look stupid IMO
    hey i bench 225 for 3 sets of 8-12, and its a big effort for me! Im 20, 205lbs, i work my ass off in the gym, and the hissing or grunting i do is on the way back up and its my way of exhaling and getting the set done. I do bench properly and keep my chest tensed too. Weight isnt everything you know matey. I could load up the bar more, but not do the exercise right. Bring it down an inch or two from the rack like you see some dickheads doing. But wheres that taking me in my bodybuilding journey by not benching properley? Nowhere.

e.g. take barbell curls. You could use ur back and swing it up and load up the bar. I dont. I have my back pushed to a wall and push my elbows into my side at all time. Hands shoulder width apart. Fair enough i look like a fag doing it with an 85lb barbell but ive got some of the best arms in my gym. People come up to me asking what i do for arms. And the same people are shocked when they see me grimicing in pain doing a weight thats a lot less then what they think id be able to handle. And if you try that for 12-15 good reps, il gaurentee you your bis will be on fire when youve finished...and they will grow too.

Just my 50p mate. Take it easy.

T.

Sorry about that i just re-read that and i didnt go into detail.. I mean they'll put 225 on the bench and come down maybe 4 inches max and grunt and hiss on there way back up, same with squats they'll go heavy but go down maybe 6 inches.. I have told them to drop the weight and get better form and they'll get better results and they just say yeah okay... Should have better explained myself, my apology

BTM0085 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp2007 View Post
    Sorry about that i just re-read that and i didnt go into detail.. I mean they'll put 225 on the bench and come down maybe 4 inches max and grunt and hiss on there way back up, same with squats they'll go heavy but go down maybe 6 inches.. I have told them to drop the weight and get better form and they'll get better results and they just say yeah okay... Should have better explained myself, my apology
    yea, i was the same way minus the grunts i have a 78 inch wingspan and was benching so far away from my chest and thought it was legit, i thought i could bench 225 22 times lol...i actually did a real rep and realized how bad id been half assing, 225 22 times turned into 225 12 times...

on the topic of benching and bringing fully down, (an absolute must), have/do people tried not fully extending on sets of say 8-12, leaving just the top few inches out. i find it really maintains pressure on the chest. ive also recently been recommended to try stop the bar at the chest for 1-2 seconds and push out as fast as possible, again 8 or so reps. just a couple sets, worth a shot......

Quote Originally Posted by A2thej2008 View Post
    How much were u maxing out with?????
    as i said, i dont believe it really matters what the weight is, it was my max and i was lifting it. no real point being slandered simply because another lifter can put it down with ease......but to answer your question, as a new comer to deadlifting and on my 5th session i did 4 sets of 1 on 190kg

Being so new to the deadlift thing 190 kg is very impressive. What are your height and weight stats.

cheers. weight fluctuates extremely but as of now, approx 6ft 115kg and carrying excess, naturally though

Sherman01 is offline Associate Member
    I think I have finally scared off the idiots so they leave me alone. I am in a pretty commercial gym (one squat rack, one bench, yea...... ). I have seen two other people ever dead there. One person squat to parallel. I squat ATG and used to always have dorks walk up and tell me how its going to blow my knee's out.

Anyway, my last "conversation" that I think finally stopped people from bothering me went like this:

(I was deadlifting for 5x5 and I am NOT very loud at all. I touch down at every rep but do not slam them.)

Randomdouche_01: Hey, do you mind keeping it down?
    Me: (pauses ipod so I can clearly hear said douche) What was that?
    Randomdouche_01: (rolls eyes) I said, can you keep it down?
    Me: Are you trying to study?
    Randomdouche_01: What?
    Me: I said, are you trying to study? Because the ****ing library is down the street. This is a gym. (Turn my ipod back on and continue with my routine).

I am as polite of a guy as you can find in the gym, but idiots who don't know that a gym is to workout, and that working out is not always quiet, piss me off.

"Are you trying to study?" Thats a great line!

Gaspari1255 is offline Anabolic Member
    I can relate to this big time. Deads are the only lift that you should be allowed to slam it down, it's a lot of weight. The gym at my university has a bunch of students working at the gym so if one tells me to keep it down politely, I'm respectful. However, if he's a complete dickhead about it, tell him to go f@ck himself. You gotta remember that an owner of a gym or employee doesn't wanna lose your business. Explain to him/her that its near impossible not to make a noise. Any attitude...fck em and go to a new gym.

finally some back up

jbran23 is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, I like to be in the gym and hear the rattling of plates and see people working out hard. Keeps me motivated when I see the next guy going all out. Obviously, all within reason though. You cant have some douche looking for attention screaming his head off on every rep from the beginning of the set to the end and throwing weights around trying to look cool for the ladies.

Quote Originally Posted by jbran23 View Post
    Honestly, I like to be in the gym and hear the rattling of plates and see people working out hard. Keeps me motivated when I see the next guy going all out. Obviously, all within reason though.
    this follows up my thoughts on how people psyche themself up before big lifts, i would be in this category, different people have different motivations........

I dont think anyone is suggesting you cant work out hard or grunt while handling heavy weights. Just dont abuse the equipment (cause it's not yours) and be respectful to the people around you. Bottom line is the gym owner makes the rules and if we dont like the rules we need to find a gym who's rules we do like.

Quote Originally Posted by FireGuy1 View Post
    I dont think anyone is suggesting you cant work out hard or grunt while handling heavy weights. Just dont abuse the equipment (cause it's not yours) and be respectful to the people around you. Bottom line is the gym owner makes the rules and if we dont like the rules we need to find a gym who's rules we do like.
    bit late expressing these rules when ive been a member over a year???

I am sure if you read the fine print of your membership there is mention of the gym rules. I am not saying I agree with some of the rules I have seen. I quit a gym who did not allow you to wear headphones in the free weight area. They said it was because I might not hear the fire alarm if it went off. I asked if that meant deaf people were not allowed in the gym to which they had no answer. My tenants in my rentals dont always like my rules either but if they dont like them they can buy their own place to live.

in the original post it mentions how i challenged where it was in the rules, manager had no concrete backup, merly said its his personal rule...... i aint psychic and i aint leaving having paid a year in advance....

DS21 is offline Member
    I think I may drop a weight once a week or maybe every other week. It happens, but if you are doing it every workout, that's unacceptable. Weights are expensive, and that is why I pay a monthly fee to use someone elses equipment. If the owner thinks you are going to damage their equipment they have all the right to say something. For the yelling, come on man, we aren't in highschool. A little grunt at the end of a set is cool, but yelling each rep is just dumb. I'm not saying that you are doing this, but if you are, well I will just leave that alone.

i never mentioned yelling and i dont

i also stated i too am a rare dropper, never had a problem before, i was maxing out

tbody66 is offline Anabolic Member
    I've been lifting seriously for 18 years and have owned my own gym and worked in others. I've seen big/built guys "throw/drop" weight and I've seen little guys do the same and I've seen big/built guys control the weight. I Just watched Branch Warren's unchained video and was freaked out by the poor form of him and his workout partners and throwing weights in a very dis-respectful manner. I've always had the opinion that if you can't control the weight you need to go lighter and failure isn't until you have to drop the weight. My take is that when it's your equipment and you are the only one in the gym then you can be abusive, my guess is that no one would drop or throw weight around if no one else was around to have their attention gained. I appreciate pushing yourself beyond what you are currently capable of, but I see guys in my gym throwing the 45# plates off of their bars and letting them hit the floor and these are guys who can't squat 225# for a single full rep in good form.

The Deuce is offline Anabolic Member
    THE GYM I GO TO HAS A FCKING LUNK ALARM !! Apparently if you work out to hard and make any noise whatsoever or accidently drop the weights a lil too HARD.. this alarm goes off.. BIG SCENE... Hahaha... Yah so what I'M A LUNK !!! LOL... to date I have only set it off twice... ONCE on my last rep of 545lb Squat... AND once on like my 3rd set of 315lb bench... I apparently re-racked the weight too loudly.. ooooooooooohhhhhhh weeeeelllllllll!! Life Goes on!!!

AND THEY CLAIM IT'S A JUDGEMENT FREE ZONE... HAH !! I'M BEING JUDGED AS A LUNK... right? RIGHT!

Jon the Rooster is offline Junior Member
    I sure don't miss the BS of gym's. I love being able to work out at home. I do wish I had someone to work out with but, I can't complain. I found a store that sell weights at .45 per lb. once a month I buy more plates, I have more than I need as of now.
    I always seam to find the biggest Azzhole everywhere I go,, so gyms are out for me.

I said, are you trying to study? Because the ****ing library is down the street. This is a gym. (Turn my ipod back on and continue with my routine).
    I love it!!!

F4iGuy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Deuce View Post
    THE GYM I GO TO HAS A FCKING LUNK ALARM !! Apparently if you work out to hard and make any noise whatsoever or accidently drop the weights a lil too HARD.. this alarm goes off.. BIG SCENE... Hahaha... Yah so what I'M A LUNK !!! LOL... to date I have only set it off twice... ONCE on my last rep of 545lb Squat... AND once on like my 3rd set of 315lb bench... I apparently re-racked the weight too loudly.. ooooooooooohhhhhhh weeeeelllllllll!! Life Goes on!!!

AND THEY CLAIM IT'S A JUDGEMENT FREE ZONE... HAH !! I'M BEING JUDGED AS A LUNK... right? RIGHT!
    Wow, thats odd. I think the op's solution is rubber matts under the bar. If they don't have them politely request the gym owner purchase them because you "do not want to disturb the other members with the occasional heavy set". I know what you mean though. There are times I just want to go nuts and pull that last rep even if it means I can't go down controlled. The last thought I want to be thinking on me heavy set is "can i do this last rep and still lower the weight quietly?" The gym I train at is pretty silent. Honestly, watching a big guy do one of the big 3 lifts with crazy weight, even if it means a bit of noise, is great inspiration for me. Its a thing of beauty.

The guy who approached you was an ass. I was in a similar situation and you know what the trainer did? Asked me "could you please use these rubber mats if you're doing heavy deadlifts" You see the difference? I'm not saying she had to carry the matts over to me (awesome of her) but a simple "could you please" statement goes a long way. The way he approached you I'd have felt like saying... Hey bud, can you step outside and put your teeth on the curb for a sec. Now I want you to listen carefully to that scraping sound... the next sound you might not hear but its going to involve some crunching.... Yea but thats not right.
    Last edited by F4iGuy; 07-24-2009 at 06:51 AM.

trulbfan3 is offline Member
    couldnt agree w/ you more its a gym not a church!!! if your truly bustiing your ass and pushing yourself w/ maximum intensity then there is goin to be noice and the uncontrolled dropping of weights in CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES...anyone who argues eighter has never pushed thereselves to the max or doesnt know waht intensity is imho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information